Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:11 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
Lots of great information, thanks!

I like your thoughts on running 2P with less resistance and increased power over the whole flight.

The stock XP motor is now making a loud screeching noise (only 14 flights on it) so impatiently last night I ripped out the stock motor and replaced it with my MSR's motor carefully removing the 8t MSR pinion and used the 9t from the xp, what a difference! I now get over 50ft vertical with the stock prop and hyperion 130ís

So my stock motor must have been a bum motor from the start, apparently the prop rubbing against the frame up front may have been the culprit. With the new motor, she was a BEAST at lunch, cannot wait for the GWS 5043 prop!

Iíll take your advice once I setup 1S2P and not carve too much out of the fuse and see where CG is good for me, luckily I can dry fit two batteries back to back sideways in without carving the fuse too much.
QL,

You're welcome! I'm happy to help when I can.

Yeah - sounds like you had a lemon motor from the beginning. The 'death-screech' is a common failure mode. When I was modding my V2 Sukhoi, the first two P-51 motors & bought were screechers. First one died right after the first flight, and the second one didn't even make it into the air. Third one is still going strong after a couple hundred flights. My two XPs are still flying on the original motors. The first one was never as strong as the second one; but both are still running fine after many hours of flying. These 'pager' motors were not designed for use as powerplants. They were designed to vibrate pagers/cellphones, or to operate CD drawers & carousels. There can be 20% or more variance in power output between samples. This is not an issue for their intended purpose, as nobody cares if one CD changer is a bit quicker than the next one - provided the slowest one meets spec. However - even a 5% variance in power will be noticeable in flight applications. Plus, the duty-cycle in flight apps is very high. The motors on the higher end of the curve are the only ones that survive when pushed this hard. Hence, why getting a good P-51/4-Site/XP motor can be somewhat of a crap-shoot.

Regarding the mSR motor - I'd switch to a new P-51/4-Site/XP motor as soon as you can get one, as they are more powerful/better-suited for the app. With the stock XP motor, 5043 & Hyp 160 or 180, mine can climb straight up for 200+ feet - even 4-5 minutes into the flight. She has truly unlimited vertical for the first 3 minutes or so.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:06 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
I fly mine with a hyperion 160mah and 180mah. The 160mah was getting +8min flights and then it starts to pulse. Then with the 180mah +10min, never had it pulse before. If the 130mah is getting 7 minute flight times, then thats not that bad.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
Mr Solution
TX
Joined Aug 2004
1,143 Posts
My brushed motor in my XP is getting weak. My P51 has a brand new motor and wow I can really tell the difference. I will be going brushless on the XP for about $25 probably in a few weeks. AP05 3000kv motor and XP3A esc for 1S.
TMASTER is offline Find More Posts by TMASTER
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:03 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Back from the field, my sukhoi xp motor gear box has more resistance than before. I don;t know why. I opened the sukhoi apart lubed the gears and clocked the motor. THe interesting thing is, this was the motor that I destroyed while throttling up in a tree. After a week or two I took the sukhoi xp motor out and it has been working well until now.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:53 AM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Back from the field, my sukhoi xp motor gear box has more resistance than before. I don;t know why. I opened the sukhoi apart lubed the gears and clocked the motor. THe interesting thing is, this was the motor that I destroyed while throttling up in a tree. After a week or two I took the sukhoi xp motor out and it has been working well until now.
I had a similiar issue, but it was my non-XP sukhoi and only with XP motors...

go brushless. parts came in friday, i'll have it back in the air and brushless very soon, might even go 2s...
cloakscott is offline Find More Posts by cloakscott
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:36 PM
Mr Solution
TX
Joined Aug 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
parts came in friday, i'll have it back in the air and brushless very soon, might even go 2s...
Pics please!
TMASTER is offline Find More Posts by TMASTER
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:21 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
I just bought one of these. These things fly great! Mine is still all stock. I'll be getting some of those Hyperion cells soon. I've toned down the controls to give more of a graceful feel. It's still very reactive though. Five flights and so far so good!
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:48 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
I'll try another brushed motor, since I don't want to damage the airplane or go 2S. When the XP motor dies again then I'll retire that and get the micro beast BL.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:44 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Has anyone replaced their wing? How difficult is it? The LHS would have to order it, and the picture looks like it doesn't have mounting post hole.

On the flipside any idea how much a one month used Sukhoi is worth? The wing is repaired, but it is a touch heavier on one side.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:14 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2007
144 Posts
Hi guys,

Been following this thread fairly closely as I am looking to get a 4-ch plane to compliment my 3-ch Champ. I know the XP can fly pretty fast, but I am wondering can it fly decently at slow speed as well?

Hoping to get something flies decently at relatively slow speed, but can gradually move to higher speed if needed.

Thanks.
upa123 is offline Find More Posts by upa123
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:58 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upa123 View Post
Hi guys,

Been following this thread fairly closely as I am looking to get a 4-ch plane to compliment my 3-ch Champ. I know the XP can fly pretty fast, but I am wondering can it fly decently at slow speed as well?

Hoping to get something flies decently at relatively slow speed, but can gradually move to higher speed if needed.

Thanks.
Stock the XP flies pretty slow and best of all lands very nice. I can cut the throttle and float most landings at low rates settings. It is a bit twitchy at first but you get used to it. I recommend flying it over taller soft grass in a park to start. Also make sure there is almost no when when you start, usually after 6pm or close to dusk, or very early in the morning as the sun is rising.

A friend has the Mustang. I would say it flies much smoother and can fly pretty slow, but it needs a touch of throttle for landings. It doesn't seem to glide without power as well.

There is also a UM T-28 Trojan coming out soon. I think that is 4 channel, aerobatic, but if it is anything like the larger foam version should fly slow very well. My friend with the Mustang is planning on getting it in hopes of flying it in a smaller space at a slower speed.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:22 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
the tip of Colonel Lights finger
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
Has anyone replaced their wing? How difficult is it? The LHS would have to order it, and the picture looks like it doesn't have mounting post hole.

On the flipside any idea how much a one month used Sukhoi is worth? The wing is repaired, but it is a touch heavier on one side.
i built my matt hall sukhoi xp airframe from parts and fitted my old running gear to it

you'll need to remove the post from your old wing.

remove old wing from old plane. remove servo horn. gently push on the post so it pops out the bottom. its held in with that soft white glue on the bottom of the wing.

refit to new wing, i used foam safe CA to stick it in there.

the new wing locates on the fuse ok but you need to use some glue to hold it in place or it'll wiggle around.
again, foam safe CA for that too..
a thin line on the fuse, the place wing on fuse. just enough to stick it together firm without it squeezing out or dribbling around the place.

someone once suggested hot glue, i'll never use it again. it melts everything.
including the wire clean off the aileron servo (another 38 bucks, only to be incorrectly supplied the LT servo)
------------

ive had a prob with my suky's ele acting weird in flight... its like someone is changing the COG in flight.
one minute it flies beaut... the next its nose diving so i re trim it.. a minute later its doing high alpha stalls like its tail heavy...

after some recent posts, sounds like the ele servo might have a bit of fluff or something in it causing the stick.

if anyone has suggestions i'd appreciate it. it seems fine on the ground but is a pig with the ele when in the air.
Oblivion is offline Find More Posts by Oblivion
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:07 AM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
i built my matt hall sukhoi xp airframe from parts and fitted my old running gear to it

you'll need to remove the post from your old wing.

------------

ive had a prob with my suky's ele acting weird in flight... its like someone is changing the COG in flight.
one minute it flies beaut... the next its nose diving so i re trim it.. a minute later its doing high alpha stalls like its tail heavy...

after some recent posts, sounds like the ele servo might have a bit of fluff or something in it causing the stick.

if anyone has suggestions i'd appreciate it. it seems fine on the ground but is a pig with the ele when in the air.
Remove the post as in permanently and eyeball the wing center? If that it the case, it might be a parts sale.

My aileron servo was a little sticky, but only with some wing load or the right pressure on the fuse. It was also intermittent. I would recommend testing things assembled in front of a fan with the fan supplying artificial lift on the surfaces for regular and inverted.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:11 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
the tip of Colonel Lights finger
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
your new wing will have the wing (captain obvious here) with ailerons hinged. no stickers, just basic paint.
you'll get the little control rods seperate and have to assemble the bits of tube (pivot points) on the wire and stick it down.. its incredibly simple if you look at your old wing.
stick over the tube, not the bare wire and youll be fine.

the post pushes out a pre-made hole in the wing. scrape off white chewy glue
your new wing has a hole in it ready for the post. just slide the post through the bottom so it pokes out the top.
drop of glue to hold it in place.

very simple really
Oblivion is offline Find More Posts by Oblivion
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:31 AM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
the post pushes out a pre-made hole in the wing. scrape off white chewy glue
your new wing has a hole in it ready for the post.
TY, glad to know the wing does come with the hole. I'll probably replace it. The pics I saw of the wing were rather ambiguous.