HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:54 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
introooooducing... the latest edition to the South Puget Sound Ultra-Micro Squadron!!
now if only the weather would cooperate so I can get a maiden in

-Mark
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Jun 16, 2010 at 06:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman777 View Post
Hey Joel,
Do you have a good source for the Hyperion packs that you mentioned?
Thanks,
Dustin
Dustin,

I've been buying my Hyperion UM cells and larger packs through All e RC. Here's the page for the Hyperion 160 mAh UM cell: http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=5416

Limit the charge to 2-3c until they're broken-in (5 cycles or so). After that - you can let 'er rip @ 5c charge. Also - Hyperion cells seem to get stronger over time. My UM cells and larger packs seem to keep improving until 40-50 cycles, then they stabilize. After that, they maintain their higher-than-average loaded voltage & useable capacity for hundreds of cycles - provided that you don't abuse them by discharging them past 80%, or by storing them improperly.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:41 PM
Joined Jul 2007
324 Posts
Been looking into new batteries and had ordered a dozen hyperion (six 130 and six 160) only to get an email 2 days later they were out of stock even though the online system said instock. So that gave me time to read more on this thread(posted plenty maybe?) and these two charts to maybe change my mind (*1* - *2*).

To pick up the hyperion from allerc (who has them instock -I think- at 7.95), 12 160's with ground s/h is $104, that same $104 gets you 50 of the Turnigy160's with EMS shipping, which has gotten to me in 3-5 days usually.
Anyway, 12 to 50 is quite a margin if you are happy with the stock performance battery. Chart 2 shows how the stock 150mah Eflite battery compares almost exactly to the Turnigy160mah for $1.69. So if you like stock performance than the turnigy performs the same. So far I think the XP flys just fine on the stocker batteries, but only have under 10cycles on 4 stock 150 eflights which are flown for 6min each.

If you don't mind a week wait for shipping from Japan, which I was trying to avoid, the hyperions from Ming at Windrider are a good deal and the 130's are buy5 get 1 free with $1 s/h! These performed a bit better voltage wise on the chart than the stock 150 and turnigy160, ran just 5 seconds less and weigh less.

Some really good info imho on lipo care on pg66 and pg67 by NipponDave and everydayflyer. Not so much for micro battery's maybe but any larger ones this info could save you some $ and hassle's, but real info is worth it even for micro lipos.
Stall'n_N_Haulin is offline Find More Posts by Stall'n_N_Haulin
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:48 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr fixin it 66 View Post
can you share you TX set up ive been flying for a while and never played with the dx6i set up features due to not knowing exactly what to do. i like the new plane i just feel that it is very twitchy and its a pain to KE.
I just used the manual..actually both manuals.. the one for the plane seems to be very accurate on the values.. I didnt know how to program the DX7 either, as its my first Spektrum radio set(I've owned Futaba for many years)..., and that manual proved equally very well written. I found both manuals very accurate in how to do both standard set-up, and 3-D set-up... its really very easy... I'm just suggesting.. because it might be easier then someone writing it out here in the forums.. its already written.
What exactly is it you don't know how to do?
There's probably some different set-ups.. but you will attain them mostly the same way.. through the menus.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:58 PM
eastern long island
Joined Mar 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
I just used the manual..actually both manuals.. the one for the plane seems to be very accurate on the values.. I didnt know how to program the DX7 either, as its my first Spektrum radio set(I've owned Futaba for many years)..., and that manual proved equally very well written. I found both manuals very accurate in how to do both standard set-up, and 3-D set-up... its really very easy... I'm just suggesting.. because it might be easier then someone writing it out here in the forums.. its already written.
What exactly is it you don't know how to do?
There's probably some different set-ups.. but you will attain them mostly the same way.. through the menus.
my plane didn't come with the book and i cant find it online
mr fixin it 66 is offline Find More Posts by mr fixin it 66
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:02 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr fixin it 66 View Post
my plane didn't come with the book and i cant find it online

Did you check under the foam? It is highly unlikely for E-Flite/Parkzone to forget the manual. It is under the foam in the box.
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:06 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Did you check under the foam? It is highly unlikely for E-Flite/Parkzone to forget the manual. It is under the foam in the box.
and if you can't find it there, go to the Horizon site, go to the Sukhoi XP plane and the manual will be there for download

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:06 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Yes mine was taped in a bag under the foam, that's probably where yours is too. If not -

http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Fil...080-Manual.pdf

It's there also. The manual really does do a good job of explaining the setup and I found their suggested rates/expo settings to be good save for one - I think the 3D setup low rates elevator at the suggested 40% travel is too low and changed mine to 60% after the first flight.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:46 AM
eastern long island
Joined Mar 2009
123 Posts
thanks for the link. what would be the best way to link the rudder to the ailerons so my plane wont tumble around any more when i KE
mr fixin it 66 is offline Find More Posts by mr fixin it 66
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:14 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
I've been very happy with my Hyperion orders from BPP recently.

Hyperion:

http://www.b-p-p.com/home.php?cat=61

Thunder Power:

http://www.b-p-p.com/home.php?cat=9

They are located in Arizona and ship orders very promptly just like All-E.

All my battery orders have always been boxed and very well padded.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; Oct 25, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:57 AM
Joined Jul 2007
324 Posts
Quote:
They have been $6.95 for a while now. I'll check and make sure Empire informs all US dealers.
And when this word from March gets out it will be like buy 7 get 1 free on the 160's!
I bet the buy 5 get 1 free Ming has would go over well too.

Got a couple flight in this am before the winds. Moved the elevator to bottom hole and it flat spins flat now. Don't even need the batt to the full rear of the slot. Seemed to harrier and elevator with less wing rock one hole up, but the winds were coming up so it was probably just my flying as the extra throw.
It will tumble better now too. Still corkscrewing out of waterfalls but goofing I found at speed and cut power same time as full back elevator it was almost tumbling backwards on its wing axis. Flips in about 1 airframe length or the size of a basketball.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:32 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
rc
Thanks for the links guys. I just ordered a few from BPP. Your right, that 1st class mail shipping is cheap!

-Dustin
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:36 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
Just got back from my second (and proper) attempt at the maiden…. Wow! I LOVE this little guy!! that’s all I gotta say

Well, except this… don’t dare fly her w/o expo & low rates dialed in for your first outing… at least that’s coming from a novice pilot… most of you are far mo’ betta on the sticks than this guy so disregard my advice as your skill set applies.

The first maiden (yesterday) was done against everything everyone has said about how you really need expo dialed in or she’s gonna be more than a handful…how true a statement that is… pleeeease don’t try it w/o Expo/DR set up! I was fortunate to have survived even after making 2-3 more moderate flops/tumbles and 2 MAJOR hard nose plows!! and shockingly, she held together with nary a smidge of a dent on the nose of the cowl… quite minor considering what I put her through… so like the Samsonite Gorilla, I tested her durability and she passed with flying colors! I should edit the vid and show you the 5 total bounces she took and you be the judge (heheh)

I just got over anxious and jumped at the window of opportunity of some -2-3 knot winds and grabbed the tx and a bat and boogied down the street… never taking the time to add the factory suggested Expo & DR (at least)…. and the price I paid wqas a white knuckled 7-8 min of terrorizing and torturing the poor little Sukhoi (and me!)

After work I dialed in the suggested rates and flew 3 batts for my second and proper maiden… ooooh my, this is very well my become my favorite in the hangar for a while!! It goes anywhere ya point here and is quite the flyer on low rates but kick in the high rates and woohoo!! she’s a lightning bolt or turbo dart!!

Can't wait til tomorrow and then the weekend, weatherman is hinting at decent skies/winds for a change

-Mark

P.S. I flew the stock batt and 2 Turnigy 160's and got 7-8 min of air time ea ... I suppose coulda done better but I wasnt try to conserve too much on the flights
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Jun 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:41 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
yes sir, that's what I did... picked up (3) 160's and it was only $25.07 shipped
from what I've read I can't wait to get em!

-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post

http://www.b-p-p.com/home.php?cat=61

They are located in Arizona and ship orders very promptly just like All-E.

It's their shipping rates that are impressive on small orders.

From the 'Shipping & Payment' page...

Click on 'Select a Carrier'

They offer USPS First Class Mail starting at $1.22

All my battery orders have always been boxed and very well padded.

rc
Old Jun 18, 2010, 03:06 PM
Joined Jul 2007
324 Posts
This place has good service although I haven't bought any micro batts from them. http://www.rremodels.com/hyperiong3c...inglecell.aspx
Only $7.49 and you can get another 5% off if you use a credit card according to the home page. Shipping has seemed standard/normal.