HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:20 AM
Joined Sep 2009
314 Posts
sukhoi is back in stock on the HH website. Get one while you can!
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:31 AM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
444 Posts
Planning on picking one up this morning at my local hobby shop! Called them yesterday and said they had them in stock!
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:38 AM
Joined Jul 2007
324 Posts
Picked up a couple Sukhoi XP's this weekend. If the 1st one was like this I think most would've been perfectly happy with it out of the box... outside of it being a bit too quick for many indoor spaces or smaller outdoor ones.
Plenty of power now and more than 1min flight time before lvc pulse (easy 6min before lvc pulse! Yippie! ), cg is easy and adjustable (still might want more rearward cg for some things), rudder has plenty of travel, prop clearance, etc. Flies stronger and smoother and faster with this prop it seems and I like it more than my old 5043 propped one. I also think that prop was overloading the motors since I went through several motors before I quit flying it. I've also read that the 5043 was pulling more amps than the 6x3 which some like.
The batteries have finally caught up with the 1.5+ amp motors/props while sustaining voltage too it seems, even with the stock one and really with the Hyperion!

The rudder servos are both much louder in use than the elevator but work fine. The extra throw on the rudder is nice imho and makes KE easier with a bit of room to adjust from just full deflection like the old one. It couples a bit in KE which you can just fly out of it or I went to R+7% and L-8% elev mix to rudder, and when switched on, it is close to neutral. Too much wind to fine tune so far and too few flights yet but that would be a close start point I think.
The aileron servo is the short version. Mine needed about 5 clicks of right aileron to fly level out of the box and that was enough to make right rolls much slower than left. Didn't want to cut it open to adjust but at least I could go to high rates and also mechanically center the ailerons to achieve equal roll rates (just cut the stock tape and leave it to tape over or you will pull paint or even mare the white foam if you want it too look better longer).

If you want to know why to do your best at perfection on mechanically straight/square setups these micros are great examples! Even just 2-3 clicks of trim can affect overall travel, visibly, and measurably. After going to high rates, mechanically adjusted even ailerons, I ended up dialing back the left throw to 92% to achieve equal aileron travel and it now rolls very quickly and equally in both directions.

Specs say to cg at 29-31mm and that is with battery centered in slot. Flew nice there and for a bit more tumble and a bit more flat, flat spins and higher aoa knife edges all the way back was good. Still needs some tail weight it seems with stock 150mah battery to get flat, flat spins.

Also my elevator was lower on the left side so I put a thin strip of tape on top with it over-bent in the upper direction to achieve a flat elevator. The reinforcement carbon there is nice. I also noticed that the wing has a 2mm or so dihedral to it while fixing the elevator. I don't remember if the old one has this slight rise from center to tips or not?

Quote:
besides I dont even like the paint scheme on the new sukhoi:

I like mine better
This is it right? Below.

We really liked the color scheme on the new ones! Trick looking little suckers! Not much room for personalization compared to the old one though.
Stall'n_N_Haulin is offline Find More Posts by Stall'n_N_Haulin
Last edited by Stall'n_N_Haulin; Jun 15, 2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: get pictures to show...
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:49 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_matt View Post
Planning on picking one up this morning at my local hobby shop! Called them yesterday and said they had them in stock!
Love this plane!! Shot a quick crappy low quality vid! My 10 yr old daughter used her cheap O camera! It took about 1 flt to get used to it on low rates, then I went for it on high rates! This is a keeper! I like it much better than the 4 site micro.

Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26 XP first flights (1 min 48 sec)
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:41 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stall'n_N_Haulin View Post
Picked up a couple Sukhoi XP's this weekend. If the 1st one was like this I think most would've been perfectly happy with it out of the box... outside of it being a bit too quick for many indoor spaces or smaller outdoor ones.
Plenty of power now and more than 1min flight time before lvc pulse (easy 6min before lvc pulse! Yippie! ), cg is easy and adjustable (still might want more rearward cg for some things), rudder has plenty of travel, prop clearance, etc. Flies stronger and smoother and faster with this prop it seems and I like it more than my old 5043 propped one. I also think that prop was overloading the motors since I went through several motors before I quit flying it. I've also read that the 5043 was pulling more amps than the 6x3 which some like.
The batteries have finally caught up with the 1.5+ amp motors/props while sustaining voltage too it seems, even with the stock one and really with the Hyperion!

The rudder servos are both much louder in use than the elevator but work fine. The extra throw on the rudder is nice imho and makes KE easier with a bit of room to adjust from just full deflection like the old one. It couples a bit in KE which you can just fly out of it or I went to R+7% and L-8% elev mix to rudder, and when switched on, it is close to neutral. Too much wind to fine tune so far and too few flights yet but that would be a close start point I think.
The aileron servo is the short version. Mine needed about 5 clicks of right aileron to fly level out of the box and that was enough to make right rolls much slower than left. Didn't want to cut it open to adjust but at least I could go to high rates and also mechanically center the ailerons to achieve equal roll rates (just cut the stock tape and leave it to tape over or you will pull paint or even mare the white foam if you want it too look better longer).

If you want to know why to do your best at perfection on mechanically straight/square setups these micros are great examples! Even just 2-3 clicks of trim can affect overall travel, visibly, and measurably. After going to high rates, mechanically adjusted even ailerons, I ended up dialing back the left throw to 92% to achieve equal aileron travel and it now rolls very quickly and equally in both directions.

Specs say to cg at 29-31mm and that is with battery centered in slot. Flew nice there and for a bit more tumble and a bit more flat, flat spins and higher aoa knife edges all the way back was good. Still needs some tail weight it seems with stock 150mah battery to get flat, flat spins.

Also my elevator was lower on the left side so I put a thin strip of tape on top with it over-bent in the upper direction to achieve a flat elevator. The reinforcement carbon there is nice. I also noticed that the wing has a 2mm or so dihedral to it while fixing the elevator. I don't remember if the old one has this slight rise from center to tips or not?

This is it right?

We really liked the color scheme on the new ones! Trick looking little suckers! Not much room for personalization compared to the old one though.
yea thats mine suki
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:06 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
Looks like I will picking one up!
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:17 PM
Joined Sep 2009
314 Posts
HD Sukhoi SU-26xp flight video

Sukhoi SU-26xp HD flight video! (6 min 7 sec)
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
Old Jun 15, 2010, 06:28 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Got a few flights in this morning on mine, really love this plane! Very nimble and capable.

Two notes:

1) I originally set my transmitter (DX6I) with the manual's suggested dual rates. I found that the elevator on low rates is WAY too little, and the plane was difficult to fly with so little elevator control. I moved the low rate for elevator up to 60% and that matches the other rates better.

2) On both flights the LVC started pulsing and then within 10 seconds it hit hard cutoff with no throttle. Anyone else had this happen?

With the stock 150 battery LVC was at 7:30 of mixed flight, with a Turnigy 160 mAh 30c it triggered at 8:30.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Jun 15, 2010, 06:41 PM
Joined Jan 2008
721 Posts
Flight times seem to be just right for the cutoffs. Add a timer for 6 minutes on your DX6i and land after that to keep your cells from dieing.
wrcsti is offline Find More Posts by wrcsti
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Got a few flights in this morning on mine, really love this plane! Very nimble and capable.

Two notes:

1) I originally set my transmitter (DX6I) with the manual's suggested dual rates. I found that the elevator on low rates is WAY too little, and the plane was difficult to fly with so little elevator control. I moved the low rate for elevator up to 60% and that matches the other rates better.

2) On both flights the LVC started pulsing and then within 10 seconds it hit hard cutoff with no throttle. Anyone else had this happen?

With the stock 150 battery LVC was at 7:30 of mixed flight, with a Turnigy 160 mAh 30c it triggered at 8:30.

Wrathchild,

As Wrcsti noted, that sounds about right for those cells. If you'd like a noticeable improvement in thrust & flight-time over the Eflite & Turnigy cells, I suggest that you try a Hyperion G3 CX 160 25c/5c UM cell. You won't be disappointed!

With mixed flying, I'm getting 10+ minutes to 80% discharge on the Hyperion 160 cells, and neither the motor nor the cells are even broken-in. There are only two cycles on two of my four Hyp 160s - the other two have seen only one charge/discharge cycle each.

I have yet to hit SLVC. She has unlimited vertical for the first 5-6 minutes. At the 7:30 mark, she can still climb straight up for 100-200 feet, but I wouldn't quite call it unlimited vertical at that point.

The Hyperion's ability handle 400+ 5c charge cycles with no loss in performance is the best part. Charging two cells at once, I can fly all day on only 4 cells. Only have to stop flying long enough to swap the battery.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 15, 2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:16 AM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Sorry I should have made that more clear - the issue isn't the actual flight time. What happens is it hits soft cut off and pulses the motor, then within 10 seconds it hits hard cutoff and cuts the throttle completely.

I have just about all of the PZ micros and each of them will give a minute or two of mid throttle flying between soft cut off and hard cut off.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:25 AM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post

Two notes:

Did you set up your dual rates per the 3D set-up? For the low rates on the 3D set-up the elevator should be set at 40%. Maybe it is that low for something like rolling harriers?

If you use the standard set-up, the low rate for all control surfaces is 70%.

I never flew mine to the LVC, so I can't comment on that. But I did fly for about 6 min. I just brought her in when the vertical performance started dieing off.

I am curious where everyone is placing their battery in the tray. On my first flight I placed it in the middle but it was way too nose heavy for me, and didn't have a way to check the cog at the time. Before my second flight I made some markings and found that I could only get the cog back to about 38mm with the battery at the very back of the tray. This is where I liked the cog on my first sukhoi, but I was hoping to get the cog further back all stock.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:47 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
I did my maiden flight on my SU-26 this morning on my street and I am not as impressed as I thought I was going to be. It definitely has more power than the previous SU-26. This is not made to be a 3D huck around aircraft in my opinion. The aileron throws are very minimal. I am flying my battery all the way aft in the battery bay. It does fly much better than the previous SU. Rolling harriers are decent, rolling loops, 4 point rolling harriers are all just okay. My original SU-26 flew much the same after a few mods. It harriers decent. Inverted harriers are decent. It has enough power to hover but not enough control throws on the ailerons to keep it from torque rolling. Even zipping the throttle does not help. My overall impression is sport 3D flying it is great. I just got caught up in all the hype and was expecting a bit more. I will put more flight on her this week and see if I can squeeze a bit more from her.

Happy Flying,

Pete
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:56 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,660 Posts
Hey Joel,
Do you have a good source for the Hyperion packs that you mentioned?
Thanks,
Dustin
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
eastern long island
Joined Mar 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud View Post
you dont have the option for expo or you've never tried it before?

because trust me, Im no beginner pilot. I've been through much with these micros and large scale electrics.

expo helps with everything from snap rolls to knife edges
can you share you TX set up ive been flying for a while and never played with the dx6i set up features due to not knowing exactly what to do. i like the new plane i just feel that it is very twitchy and its a pain to KE.
mr fixin it 66 is offline Find More Posts by mr fixin it 66