HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:34 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
753 Posts
I am wondering which of the fuselages is being discussed for this Sukhoi 26m. Is it the short battery slot when first released or the longer battery slot sold with the last few planes (to use up the remaining inventory)? The longer slot appears to be the Sukhoi XP fuselage without the paint. Here is a picture of the latter. My short-slot Sukhoi also has had the slot lenghtened and I do not have a before picture to show.

Either way finding that CG sweet spot does wonders for the neutral handling. And I highly recommend the motor and prop from the Sukhoi XP, as well as 25c Lipos.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
I am wondering which of the fuselages is being discussed for this Sukhoi 26m. Is it the short battery slot when first released or the longer battery slot sold with the last few planes (to use up the remaining inventory)? The longer slot appears to be the Sukhoi XP fuselage without the paint. Here is a picture of the latter. My short-slot Sukhoi also has had the slot lenghtened and I do not have a before picture to show.

Either way finding that CG sweet spot does wonders for the neutral handling. And I highly recommend the motor and prop from the Sukhoi XP, as well as 25c Lipos.
Yep that's my bird right there. I tried again today with just a prop change to the Champ one. I did not notice much of a difference except hand launching was Harder and I had to take her off on the runway instead. I did not even bother finishing the battery. It was than bad. I decided to buy a 1s brushless system too. I have a 7a 1s esc on the way now. And I have a 11000kv COM5 here. I would need to gear the motor for the 1s to work. Any suggestions? I have 8t and 9t on hand. Only thing is what would run times be? If it is anything like my MCPX it will be limited.
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
Yep that's my bird right there. I tried again today with just a prop change to the Champ one. I did not notice much of a difference except hand launching was Harder and I had to take her off on the runway instead. I did not even bother finishing the battery. It was than bad. I decided to buy a 1s brushless system too. I have a 7a 1s esc on the way now. And I have a 11000kv COM5 here. I would need to gear the motor for the 1s to work. Any suggestions? I have 8t and 9t on hand. Only thing is what would run times be? If it is anything like my MCPX it will be limited.
A number of people on RCG have done 1s & 2s bl conversions. There is a ton of info out there already. See the links below.

Here's a compilation of various bl conversions that people on here have done: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...17&postcount=1

Here's some static test data on some 1s & 2s bl setups vs. the stock motor: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=18

Here's a thread just for 1s & 2s brushless conversions: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081138

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 14, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:22 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
If you want a power increase buy a sx motor from rc babbel.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Mar 2011
248 Posts
I just traded in that MSR motor for a 4site one. Then I saw the MQX motor. That things pinion was huge in comparison. Anyone try it in a UM plane yet?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I just mentioned that a couple of posts back. If I were still messing around with 1s brushed planes, that's the way I'd go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
I just traded in that MSR motor for a 4site one. Then I saw the MQX motor. That things pinion was huge in comparison. Anyone try it in a UM plane yet?
The mQX uses two pairs of Mossie motors, but with a different pinion. And the Mossie motors are the same as the 4-Site/P-51 motor, except that one is designed for reverse rotation. There's nothing to be gained from using an mQX motor.

Those of us who have been flying these planes for years have already gone through all of the drop-in motor options. If you want a drop-in brushed motor with significantly more power than the 4-Site/P-51/XP motor - get a Bravo SX motor that already has the right pinion & connector from RCBabbel, and use a GWS 5043 prop. With top-notch batts, you'd get nearly 60 grams of thrust. If you stick with the 4-Site motor, be sure to switch to the 5043 prop. It performs far better than the Champ prop.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Mar 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I just mentioned that a couple of posts back. If I were still messing around with 1s brushed planes, that's the way I'd go.

The mQX uses two pairs of Mossie motors, but with a different pinion. And the Mossie motors are the same as the 4-Site/P-51 motor, except that one is designed for reverse rotation. There's nothing to be gained from using an mQX motor.

Those of us who have been flying these planes for years have already gone through all of the drop-in motor options. If you want a drop-in brushed motor with significantly more power than the 4-Site/P-51/XP motor - get a Bravo SX motor that already has the right pinion & connector from RCBabbel, and use a GWS 5043 prop. With top-notch batts, you'd get nearly 60 grams of thrust. If you stick with the 4-Site motor, be sure to switch to the 5043 prop. It performs far better than the Champ prop.

Joel
Straight to the goods that"s what I need. I figure this plank is a fossil in the world of RC and I know all the work has been done already. That"s why I ask for the help. Thanks again by the way.

I find RC groups tough to follow. There is a ton of posts of chatter and coffee talk. If you where not around when page 10 was just started then 300 pages of What did you do today John gets in the way of the meat. Just the way it is I guess. Too use to the HF format. Too bad more of you plank guys don`t hang in those parts. The park fliers and foamies section is a ghost town there.

I brought up the MQX motor because of the bigger pinion. Was wondering if it is known what it would do on a UM plane.

Edit. I am a dumbass. I never thought I would be that guy. But it turns out I had the Champ prop on backwards. LOL I will give it a go tomorrow if I can. Just though I would share as it made no sence to me at how bad it was flying with the prop change. (hangs head in shame)
Last edited by litehawkdown; Nov 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
You would be surprised how many people make the same mistake!
Did it myself once.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
248 Posts
Going to try something new I think. Going to take a old MCPX frame and make a bearing ran 2mm CF shaft with a home made prop adapter. On the end. I will stick the C0m5 in there like it would be on the MCPX with a 8 or 9 t pinion. Should be interesting to see how it ends up.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:53 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
753 Posts
Quote:
If one is handy with replacing pinions and connectors then this SX motor is also sold from Hobby King under the Nine Eagles P-47/P-51/Spitfire replacement parts.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
248 Posts
Having the Champ prop on the right way makes a world of differenceno real vertical though. I will play with that for a while then go beast prop then more powerful brushed motor then 1s brushless. I have a feeling this winter will be slow in the work department. This should keep me busy.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
Dont use the beast prop, use a gws 5043 then balance it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Dont use the beast prop, use a gws 5043 then balance it.
I had some of those on order since I got the plane. Just experimenting. Had to give some cash to the LHS so I buy what they have on hand. I have been giving way to much to the online stores as of late.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
603 Posts
Hey Everybody...I have a Champ that I learned to fly on. I was looking to trade/sell one of my Helicopters to get a UM T-28 when someone offered to trade me for a Sukhoi SU-26XP. Doing some quick online searching - I'm nervous. I have a DX6i. Does anyone have settings that can dumb this down enough to be a next step up from my Champ? If I can make it "dumb" for a while and then tweak my way back - I think it would offer me great growth potential - but I'm just not sure where to start to make it dumb. Please let me know your thoughts. Also - I've flown the champ in <10mph wind - is the Sukhoi going to be similar flying weather?
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,614 Posts
I wouldn't say it's the next step up from the Champ. The T-28 would have been that. However, if you use the low dual rates and high expo, you should be fine. I set my low rates down to 60 and it straightened out my problems with keeping control. I would suggest flying in no more than 3mph winds when starting, but I've had it in 7+mph with no problems.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000