HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:01 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
SilentPilot - Would you tell us more about what the mix is to elevator? How much?
You can do Flap-Elevator mix to keep the planes nose under control while using the flaps, like Ron Dog states. This is very helpful and can lower your workload at crucial times.

However, Elevator-Flap mix is what I prefer on my Aerobatic Ships. Like Turboparker says this can be used for really tight loops!

I like to have a 3 position switch so as Switch Up has Elevator and Flaps working opposite each other for maximum Pitch control. Switch in the Middle has no Flap just Elevator and Switch Down has Elevator and Flap both going the Same way This takes a bit of getting used to but is great for strange aerobatics and is also great for a really short landing roll. Land pull full up and it just stops dead!

These mixes work for me but I did a lot of sim practise first followed by trying for real very high up!!!

As for how much, well that's up to you!! Totally personal preference
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:00 AM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,913 Posts
Recieved the Sukhoi XP yesterday! It's windy and misting rain today! So I still haven't maidened it yet. The color and decals really make it stand out! The finish on the foam isn't as smooth as on the Pole Cat (smoothest foamy I've ever seen). I set the controls up as the book suggested,but it dosen't look like the ailerons have alot of deflection? Maybe it dosen't take much? Can't wait for a break in the weather to try it out. Ron
Ron_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:05 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
You'd be surprised. It doesn't roll like a drill bit (as some have said), but the small bit of deflection goes a long way.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:34 AM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
You'd be surprised. It doesn't roll like a drill bit (as some have said), but the small bit of deflection goes a long way.
I hope so,Brian! My Pole Cat has a large amount of travel in it's ailerons,and it isn't a Blur while rolling! I guess when you get too much and can't recover where you want,it's too fast anyway. Did you use the book settings on your first flight? I did on the Pole Cat! Flew one lap around the field,and landed it,to set everything on the highest throws I could get. It flew great then! Ron
Ron_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
I think I did factory settings and was happy. Expo is your friend on this one.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
Hey guys, i'm new to RCGroups but i have one question concerning the the new little bird. i've been flying for a good two years now and would like to upgrade to the new xp. now it will probably sound ridiculous when i tell you that i've been flying the HZ champ and mini super cub, but i have TOTALLY mastered them doing inverted, multiple loops, ect. so with that in mind please let me now what you think about the experience level of the new xp.

thanks

James
Flyinstyle is offline Find More Posts by Flyinstyle
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:23 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinstyle View Post
Hey guys, i'm new to RCGroups but i have one question concerning the the new little bird. i've been flying for a good two years now and would like to upgrade to the new xp. now it will probably sound ridiculous when i tell you that i've been flying the HZ champ and mini super cub, but i have TOTALLY mastered them doing inverted, multiple loops, ect. so with that in mind please let me now what you think about the experience level of the new xp.

thanks

James
If the mini super cub includes ailerons and if you have been flying them at maximum throw then you will likley be fine with the XP if you ease into it. Otherwise if this would be your first aileron plane then start with the micro T-28 for the roll stability and familiar pitch to throttle coupling. I didn't do it this way and wish I had now that I own both 4-channel planes.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
I'd vote for the Pole Cat over the T-28 if your goal is to get to a aerobatics aircraft like the XP. IMHO, the T-28 is a great aileron trainer, but not necessarily a good aerobatics trainer.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:03 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:

thanks

James
Don't test the air bag out by crashing. We all know it works. Go with the T28.
I have an XP and a T28. The T28 is a much better 4 ch trainer and a much wiser choice. I'm making mine brushless and am not done learning yet.

The XP is great, but a large leap from a Super Cub or champ. It takes a long time to get comfortable with it. Your reflexes will be tested and it's difficult to learn at lightning speeds.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
well i'm not necessarily set on aerobatics. i was looking at the t-28 before because you can get it RTF but the pole cat is great also.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
Quote:
well i'm not necessarily set on aerobatics. i was looking at the t-28 before because you can get it RTF but the pole cat is great also.
If you're looking for something just to fly around, I'd do the T-28, especially because you can get it RTF. At the very least with the XP, you're looking at buying a radio if you don't already have one.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
I agree with you totally, (you posted while i was righting so I didn't see it ontil i posted my reply and then it didn't make sense)

i'll pass on that xp for now :P
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
and ya i don't have a TX`
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:27 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
The T-28 is a great aileron trainer - however, a decent programmable hobby-grade tx is one of the best investments you can make in this hobby. There is a night & day difference in the control & feel when going from the 'toy-grade' transmitters that are included with the RTF UMs to a DX6i or better. The difference is so great, it is even noticeable when flying docile aircraft such as the UM Champ & T-28. The difference is even quite apparent when flying the coaxial helis & mSR.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
when looking at the xp i was thinking of the dx5e but would you recomend going with something biger?