Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:47 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
how does one make this baby hover?
Tons of practice.. easiest way to get started imo..

Hold the plane for a hand launch and point the plane straight up, throttle up till you feel the weight of the plane neutralized by the props thrust... add a hair more throttle, then let go.. you'll likely roll right out of it the first dozen tries.. till something just clicks and you can hold that hover.. When you start to "feel" the plane coming out of hover, just hammer the gas and climb out..

Once you can regularly hand launch into a prop hang, it just becomes a matter of knowing the throttle range to do it, and flying the plane into a nose up attitude and decreasing the throttle until the climb stops and the hover begins..

Also, a good idea once you are learning to "Fly into" the hover, is to do it higher up then a few feet.. that way you have more escape time if stuff goes bad lol..

Once you have the hang of entering hovers from flight, especially with the advanced control throws, you can almost snap the plane from level flight or other maneuvers into a nose up near instant hover.

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:09 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,334 Posts
Kev

Thanks for great info. You don't need to use any control surfaces to keep it there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede View Post
Tons of practice.. easiest way to get started imo..

Hold the plane for a hand launch and point the plane straight up, throttle up till you feel the weight of the plane neutralized by the props thrust... add a hair more throttle, then let go.. you'll likely roll right out of it the first dozen tries.. till something just clicks and you can hold that hover.. When you start to "feel" the plane coming out of hover, just hammer the gas and climb out..

Once you can regularly hand launch into a prop hang, it just becomes a matter of knowing the throttle range to do it, and flying the plane into a nose up attitude and decreasing the throttle until the climb stops and the hover begins..

Also, a good idea once you are learning to "Fly into" the hover, is to do it higher up then a few feet.. that way you have more escape time if stuff goes bad lol..

Once you have the hang of entering hovers from flight, especially with the advanced control throws, you can almost snap the plane from level flight or other maneuvers into a nose up near instant hover.

~Kev
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:12 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
They are linear servos. No conventional arm, no 'circumference' in the output.
David
Got it... I wasn't even thinking linear.. I'm not too familiar with the brick system yet. Thanks for clarifying that..

RCBABBEL.. thanks also for the pics.. it all makes sense. I've not seen the inside of my Suki yet.. hopefully won't have to for a loong time... especially now that I've got these pics to go by..
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:15 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Kev

Thanks for great info. You don't need to use any control surfaces to keep it there?
Oh yeh.. You will be moving everything to keep it there.. rudder, elevator mainly, for pitch, and ailerons just to make it rotate and look pretty lol..

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:44 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud View Post
well let just say we're comparing the old sukhoi to the new sukhoi:

and I dont own one but I talked to the developer who built it so I know all the tech specs on it
Bit late in the thread, but specs don't mean jack on how it actually flys. I'm in the car business and if i get the spec on a new car coming out, there is no way in hell even the most experiance car enthusiast can tell how it would drive for sure.
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Last edited by Bowerz; Jun 26, 2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:54 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,334 Posts
Horizon Keeps Me Happy Again

Well, I had to call HH today regarding my Sukhoi. Today for some reason, whether it be gear box or motor, my plane when climbing in particular at 90-100% throttle would make a god awful screeching noise (it did this a few times last night and I didn't think much of it), and was doing it quite frequently. So, I was bringing her down when all of a sudden the motor stopped and down came my plane, luckily I wasn't that far from the grass but it still bent the fuse a little and the landing gear bracket came flying off. Inspection of the fuse shows a little cuts from prop I guess but overall not too bad thank god. So I packed it up and came home. I am not sure if its motor or gearbox but something is locking up. So, I called HH and they're sending me a new motor and gear box so my plane will be down for a while unfortunately.

I would try to power up the plane and test the throttle indoors but I am afraid the binding issue may cause damage to the brick.

This sucks, , BUT its great that HH hasd once again provided great customer service.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Well, I had to call HH today regarding my Sukhoi. Today for some reason, whether it be gear box or motor, my plane when climbing in particular at 90-100% throttle would make a god awful screeching noise (it did this a few times last night and I didn't think much of it), and was doing it quite frequently. So, I was bringing her down when all of a sudden the motor stopped and down came my plane, luckily I wasn't that far from the grass but it still bent the fuse a little and the landing gear bracket came flying off. Inspection of the fuse shows a little cuts from prop I guess but overall not too bad thank god. So I packed it up and came home. I am not sure if its motor or gearbox but something is locking up. So, I called HH and they're sending me a new motor and gear box so my plane will be down for a while unfortunately.

I would try to power up the plane and test the throttle indoors but I am afraid the binding issue may cause damage to the brick.

This sucks, , BUT its great that HH hasd once again provided great customer service.

Re,

It's just a bad motor.
Save yourself some time and just replace it when the new one arrives.
Leave the gearbox alone.
Only about a five~ten min job.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:27 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,334 Posts
Okay thanks

I have bad luck with these cordless motors lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Re,

It's just a bad motor.
Save yourself some time and just replace it when the new one arrives.
Leave the gearbox alone.
Only about a five~ten min job.

rc
Old Jun 26, 2010, 05:09 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,798 Posts
Someone may have pointed this out, or it may just be me, but is this one minus the landing gear?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 05:10 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,798 Posts
Sorry, just answered my own question by using google
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:02 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Flying the XP with Hyperion 180 mAh flat-packs

All,

Just got back from flying the XP with Hyperion 180 mAh 'Babbelbatts'. I used masking tape to hold the battery in place for the test-flights.

With the 180 nmAh battery to the rear of the slot, the CG is @ 38mm, vs. 37mm with the Hyperion 160 UM cell. With the battery over the first cooling hole, the CG is @ 40mm.

With the CG @ 40mm, hovering & harriers were much easier. It was relatively easy to hold hover, and wing-rock during high-alpha maneuvers was greatly reduced. Unfortunately, the rudder/pitch coupling during knife-edge was much worse.

My V1 & V1 were relatively uncoupled during knife-edge when balanced at the pitch-neutral neutral point (trimmed for level flight, roll inverted, little to no elevator required to maintain level inverted flight). With my XP, if I set the CG using the right-side-up/inverted test, the rudder/pitch-coupling to the belly during knife-edge is very strong. This indicates an aft CG or improper wing incidence. If I set the CG to minimize the rudder/pitch coupling during knife-edge, the plane acts like it's nose-heavy in all other respects.

With my V1 & V2, it was relatively easy to set the CG for a balance between precision flight and 3D performance (no pun intended!). I have not been able to find that balance with the XP. This has me thinking that the wing incidence on my XP is a bit different than it is on my V1 & V2. No big deal - it's easy to adjust the CG to suit my flying mood. Just something worth noting.

At 5.6g vs. the Hyp 160 mAh UM cell @ 4.95g, the extra weight of the Hyp 180 mAh cell is enough to notice. Elevators are not quite as lazy, and vertical performance is just slightly off - as compared to the 160 mAh UM cell. I did not attempt to assess endurance or static RPM, as it was starting to rain. If we get a break from this crappy wx this afternoon, I plan to do some testing with the GWS 5043 prop.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:58 PM
Once-ler
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Just got the Hyperion from Japan today

It amazes me that you can get amazing quality merchandise in a week for $2.00...I wish Hobbycity were in Japan..but anyway. I got the CX G3 25c 240mAh. Any recommendations as to where to start for correct CG. I was going to trim some foam off both sides of the battery tray and go from there.

I crashed her 2x today due to shi__y velcro, so that's replaced.
jmrust is offline Find More Posts by jmrust
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:12 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrust View Post
It amazes me that you can get amazing quality merchandise in a week for $2.00...I wish Hobbycity were in Japan..but anyway. I got the CX G3 25c 240mAh. Any recommendations as to where to start for correct CG. I was going to trim some foam off both sides of the battery tray and go from there.

jm,

Just use a little masking tape at first to find the best cg location for the 240.

There is another good option if you don't want to cut into the foam:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4471

The Hyp 240s rock!

Enjoy,

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:16 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
ps......

Killer lifetime supply of quality sticky-back velcro here:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9374

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:27 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Quote:
I was going to trim some foam off both sides of the battery tray and go from there.
i just built up the battery with a couple of bits of double sided foam, like the stuff used to stick a tooth brush holder to the wall got it from a $2 shop then stuck my "Hobby King" Velcro to the batt, no ruining the airframe for this mod

also i replaced the "babys bum fluff" stuff that PZ use and replaced it with Hobby King Velcro

Quote:
did i mention Hobby King Velcro

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...G___%281mtr%29

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker