Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:51 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
The Beast and Sbach use two cells, the other um's one cell. Pick up a series harness and use one cell bats in both if you want, they work just fine.
I'd considered running two 1S in series on my Micro Yak, but I didn't know where one found one of those harnesses.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:18 PM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Speaking of which...has anyone tried to "keep it in the family" and use a mSR motor?
mSR motor has an 8 tooth pinion (stock) and these motors are 9 tooth.
You would have to swap pinions for it to mesh properly.

I took my XP out for the first time today in probably over a year. I never spent the time months ago to actually sit down and set the CG and adjust the linkages mechanically to get it to fly as perfectly as I can. Tonight I did that before taking it out at sunset. WHOA! What a totally different experience!

Adjusting the linkages enabled me to have all trims centered perfectly. I got the CG right on and it flies beautifully upright and inverted. It was like it was on rails. I forgot just how cool this thing really is, and I'm still just using the stock prop!

I only got thru 2 batts before it was too dark to see. It was great practice for the impending arrival of my Sbach hopefully tomorrow!
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Jul 07, 2011, 06:09 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,667 Posts
Quote:
I'd considered running two 1S in series on my Micro Yak, but I didn't know where one found one of those harnesses.
Horizon has them. You can find them in the Beast accessories section. Also, there is a guy that is highly regarded on these forums that makes adapter cables for almost anything that makes one that is supposed to be better than the Horizon one. Check back in some of Turboparker's posts. He references them often. I started to order one from him, but you have to register to order and I have this personal nut case for not registering anywhere on the net that I can avoid and would much rather support my lhs to help keep them in business, so I have the Horizon model.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:35 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,137 Posts
Bryan, just for the record I ran an mSR motor in my mini Trojan for 80+ flights before reading that it wouldn't work because of the pinion difference. It was a bit louder for a few batteries then it quieted down and flew fine. It had a GWS 5030 prop on it the whole time. With that motor in the UM T-28 you need to extend the leads an inch or so but that is no problem.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:32 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Horizon has them. You can find them in the Beast accessories section. Also, there is a guy that is highly regarded on these forums that makes adapter cables for almost anything that makes one that is supposed to be better than the Horizon one. Check back in some of Turboparker's posts. He references them often. I started to order one from him, but you have to register to order and I have this personal nut case for not registering anywhere on the net that I can avoid and would much rather support my lhs to help keep them in business, so I have the Horizon model.
I'm pretty sure the Horizon one you're talking about has the wrong plug (the right one for the Beast, wrong one for a XP, Extra, or 4-Site). I'll look into it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Bryan, just for the record I ran an mSR motor in my mini Trojan for 80+ flights before reading that it wouldn't work because of the pinion difference. It was a bit louder for a few batteries then it quieted down and flew fine. It had a GWS 5030 prop on it the whole time. With that motor in the UM T-28 you need to extend the leads an inch or so but that is no problem.
So you're saying it will work? Don't know if it's really better, but I was just curious why if people are willing to use the Solo Pro motor if anyone had tried the motor from a micro heli that's actually made by the same mfgr.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:00 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,137 Posts
Bryan,
It worked for me just fine for 80+ flights in my UM T-28 using the GWS 5030 prop with out changing the pinion gear. I pulled the motor and gearbox a few weeks ago and it still has some life left in it. So yes it will work.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:27 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Putting a 5043 prop on the XP is like adding 6th gear to a Ford Focus to gain top speed. The difference is, the XP doesn't have the other gearing, so it loads the motor like driving around the city in 5th gear when you add a taller prop. The extra loading and resulting current draw burns up the brushes quicker.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:49 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
I have a brushless sukhoi xp 2S. I ordered 3 hyperion 180mah and 2 hyperion 240mah batteries from ALL E RC. First test flight the 180mahs don't ever charge at all. I requested new ones and they were sent in. Today I tried them out and they aren't much better than the ones before. The batteries can't crank out more than 1/3 of the 2S brushless motor power (they are on their 2nd cycle, but they still shouldn't perform that bad). I also tried the 240mah batteries that were new and on their 3rd charge, but they had a similar result. I then tried my original 240mah hyperions (with 50 cycles each) and they rocketed the sukhoi xp straight up, unlimited vertical for 12 minutes (and still had power). The new batteries couldn't compare at all I paired up a 240mah (new) with my old 180mah hyperion and they still had the same power. But paired with the new ones with new ones they can't perform at all. I think something is wrong with the batteries that I got from ALL e RC. The 160mahs that I ordered perform fine but these flat packs don't.

I'm seeing similar behavior. Bought 3 x Hyp 180 from AircraftWorld.com and put to use April 10, 2011. By early June, 2 of them could only discharge about 45% before hitting SLVC flying the UM Sukhoi and UM T-28. They had been giving me a strong 70% capacity before I ended the flight before SLVC. Basically the batteries when new could fly for 9 minutes and after two months I was getting only 6 minutes of flying for two of them. Shared this with Brian at AircraftWorld and he was great about sending two replacements.

In addition I have just received one more Hyp 180mah and two Hyp 240mah batteries this past week from Windrider.com. They still need connectors installed before I may start the break in flying. Fingers crossed they are not poorly manufactured.

Curt

Curt
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:55 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
I'm seeing similar behavior. Bought 3 x Hyp 180 from AircraftWorld.com and put to use April 10, 2011. By early June, 2 of them could only discharge about 45% before hitting SLVC flying the UM Sukhoi and UM T-28. They had been giving me a strong 70% capacity before I ended the flight before SLVC. Basically the batteries when new could fly for 9 minutes and after two months I was getting only 6 minutes of flying for two of them. Shared this with Brian at AircraftWorld and he was great about sending two replacements.

In addition I have just received one more Hyp 180mah and two Hyp 240mah batteries this past week from Windrider.com. They still need connectors installed before I may start the break in flying. Fingers crossed they are not poorly manufactured.

Curt

Curt
Maybe a batch of these micro batteries are defective. The ones that All e RC sent me were defective (twice!). I resoldered them, but they just wouldn't accept any charge or discharge. I ordered 3 more from BPP, hope thye aren't defective, going to soldering on the plugs right now. (in the background, I'm working out the problem with ALL-e RC, emailed them twice, finally got a response)
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:12 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
846 Posts
Cheese5,

Keep us posted on your findings, please.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:44 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Ok here's the email transfer:

I ordered 7 batteries from All e RC, Order Number:------. The 240mah and 180mah flat packs that I recieved were defective (except one 240mah, that's the only one out of 8 batteries). All e RC sent me 3 180mahs free of charge, but those were still defective. I soldered on the connectors and plugged them into the charger. The batteries wouldn't charge that much, only a few miliamps. Same with discharging, the battery voltage will drop like a stone while the miliamps used are 2ma, that's all. I resoldered the connectors on and the results are still the same. Plugged the fully charged batteries into my micro airplanes and they will run for a few seconds until LVC hits. Then recharging it, the battery will only accept a few miliamps before reaching 4.2V. I cycled the batteries a few times with the same result: battery voltage plumments while discharging and the usable miliamps are in the low 2's and 1's. I would like to have a refund for those defective batteries.

Reply from ALL e:
(Edit out name), what charger are you using? And do you charge them individually, or in parallel?

Regards..
Bob
ALL e RC

Sent to All e RC:
I am using an ECO6 charger ( displays miliamp put into the battery, voltage). I charge (and discharge) all the batteries individually. The charger worked fine with all my other batteries I have.

On a side note, I soldered up the 3 240mah hyperion batteries I bought from BPP, charging one right now. So far so good, the lipo battery is accepting charge and is at around 100ma right now. The ones I got from ALL e RC finished charging in a few minutes (less than 20ma inputed, dishcharged at 1A the battery had 2ma of useful power) and couldn't run my msr motor for over 20 seconds (only one battery: 240mah hyperion from ALL e RC worked, all the rest didn't)
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:47 PM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
I'm only up to page 48 but my brother told me a must do with the xp.

Make sure the top of the fuselage is taped tight, start at the back of the canopy and push it in tight before taping. Then move forward holding the foam tight and taping as originally done.

If done the xp cartwheels and noses in with no damage (tested multiple times) other than the motor mount coming loose (to a degree, nothing is bullet proof). If not done the foam tears/splits.

Amazing difference in bouncability.

NB - Some XPs are taped tight from the factory, some not.
PeteSpencer is offline Find More Posts by PeteSpencer
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,667 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Horizon one you're talking about has the wrong plug (the right one for the Beast, wrong one for a XP, Extra, or 4-Site). I'll look into it, though.

So you're saying it will work? Don't know if it's really better, but I was just curious why if people are willing to use the Solo Pro motor if anyone had tried the motor from a micro heli that's actually made by the same mfgr.
Yes, the plug I was referring to is for the Beast and Sbach, for using two single cell lipo's instead of the single 2cell lipo. It is EFLU4068 (Y Harness adapter: UMX Beast). Not sure about the reference to xp extra or 4-site as they use the same single cell batteries stock out of the box and don't need an adapter. The adapter just lets you use the same batteries in all Horizon and e-flite um planes. It just takes two of them at a time for the Beast and Sbach.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:37 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Yes, the plug I was referring to is for the Beast and Sbach, for using two single cell lipo's instead of the single 2cell lipo. It is EFLU4068 (Y Harness adapter: UMX Beast). Not sure about the reference to xp extra or 4-site as they use the same single cell batteries stock out of the box and don't need an adapter. The adapter just lets you use the same batteries in all Horizon and e-flite um planes. It just takes two of them at a time for the Beast and Sbach.
I found something from RC-Connectors.com that should fit the bill
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts

My 3 batteries that I ordered are good!! They function as regular hyperion batteries should, going to fly them tomorrow, the charger said the batteries are good, let's see what the airplanes say.

Now I just want to get the refund to cover some of those batteries that I ordered.