SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:52 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,683 Posts
How much time are you getting out of the Hyperion 180's? How about the 160's?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
quick question.
I have a nice new su26xp arriving in a few days Joy
but i have just seen 5x 190mah 1s lipos on ebay for 20
they look a tad longer than the original batteries.
is any1 flying them? is it worth going for these of going for the 160mah which are the same size as the originals....
are there any problems flying the longer packs?
help :P
cheers chris
Chris,

What brand of batteries are they? There are very big differences in performance & lifespan between brands.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:35 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
How much time are you getting out of the Hyperion 180's? How about the 160's?
I modded my sukhoi xp to 1S brushless so the flight times may vary a bit with yours. Mine flies for 8 minutes max on with the 180mah hyperions, 10 minute max with the 240mah hyperions and the 160mahs I don't use anymore, since the flight times are too short for me ( they are for my MSR). Those times are medium to hard aerobatics. Cruising around, maybe get a few more minutes out of the batteries. When the sukhoi xp starts to pulse record that time and set your timer a minute before that time. LVC is set too low on the micros, they can damage the battery if flown to that level too often.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:16 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Chris,

What brand of batteries are they? There are very big differences in performance & lifespan between brands.

Joel
hi, they are made by miniaviation.com thats all it has on them.

cheers cheese5. are your 240mah packs the wider ones designed for the mosquito ect?
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:46 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
quick question.
is any1 flying them? is it worth going for these of going for the 160mah which are the same size as the originals....
cheers chris
There's no problem at all with the extra lenght. On the other side, I'm still not sure if I like them or not!!! I tested them with resistive loads and a logger, and during those tests, they performed flawlessly and were pretty much bang on meeting their specifications, so, on paper, they should be impressive. After I tested them with my logger, I was sure Hyperion and TP had a new contender to deal with. But when I fly them, there's still something I'm not crazy about. They feel a bit sluggish, almost like they would not deliver their full capacity if the load is not purely resistive??? (It's not high internal resistance, and they do not get hot) Still great batteries for the price so far, so I'm now waiting to see how long they will last to give my final word on them. Assembly quality was great on mine, so that's usually a good sign too. Again, with a pure resistive load, they really kick ass so I'm not sure were to stand for now. Sadly, summer is here and I'm now flying my bigger birds so those battteries are not getting lots of flight time anymore. I probably won't know until next fall if they do last long or not. If they last anywhere between 100 and 300 flights, without a big internal resistance increase, I would say they are absolutely worth it. So time will tell! You know you can buy them from Miniaviation web site directly do you?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:43 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
785 Posts
ok cool. think i may order a set.
it actually works out cheaper to buy from ebay with postage but you only save pence....

bit of a bonus today too........... my su26xp arrived! less than 24hours from clicking buy now!

JOY
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,385 Posts
Quote:
hi, they are made by miniaviation.com thats all it has on them.

cheers cheese5. are your 240mah packs the wider ones designed for the mosquito ect?
Here are the hyperion packs that I usehttp://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-5438.html
They are about twice the width of the stock batteries, with the length being about the same as a 120mah.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:10 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,018 Posts
My sukhoi xp after many months of wonderful flying, broke lose the motor mount inside. I tried hot glue once and this time it broke completely free of the foam during a flight. I havent decided fully yet but I think I might retire it when the sbach comes out. It has been one of my favorite planes and always the first plane I put up when I get to the field!
DoomsDay is online now Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:18 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
My sukhoi xp after many months of wonderful flying, broke lose the motor mount inside. I tried hot glue once and this time it broke completely free of the foam during a flight. I havent decided fully yet but I think I might retire it when the sbach comes out. It has been one of my favorite planes and always the first plane I put up when I get to the field!
Use some gorilla glue. that has worked for me. Also waiting for the Sbach (along with the 8% coupon for Redrockethobbies for july 4th).
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts
Quote:
quick question.
cheers chris
Lord chris dont get the Plug and play Miniaviation 190mha 25c Platinum Edition Lipos from ebay go straight to the miniavation site here http://www.miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html

And dont bother with the old HYPERION G3 CX 180MAH LiPO you will have to gouge out a hole in the belly of your lovely new su26xp to make them fit and the hyperon wont fit your charger .

The weight of the old hyperon 180meh is 5.65g but the weihht of the new Plug and play Miniaviation 190mha 25c Platinum Edition Lipo is only 5.1g so the Miniaviation will give you more flight time .
And the new Miniaviation will give you 10mah more than the fat old hyperion and thats even more flight time for your lovely new su26xp.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417539
lord chris if you want to down grade to a 160mAh Hyperion G3 25C dont get fooled . We all like to spend our hard earned money wisely dont we !?

(IM GOING TO TELL YOU A SECRET!!) but dont tell anyone lord chris

The 160mAh Hyperion is the same same generic Lipo cell as the Intellec 25c plug and play Lipo , the Hyperion and Intellec lipo are from the same factory

But you can get 5 Intellec 25c plug and play Lipos for the price of 2 Hyperions

I hope this information helps you lord chris! it can be very hard when you start out in MICRO RTF and make the mistakes i did .

DONT WE ALL HATE BEING RIPPED OFF!!

Thank god for RC Groups ! if i did not check out this web site i would not know of the latest Lipo technology and progress and cheapper generic Lipo cells to spend my hard earned money on...
richos is online now Find More Posts by richos
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,683 Posts
Where would one find the Intellec batteries (are you sure it's not "Intellect?")
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:06 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Where would one find the Intellec batteries (are you sure it's not "Intellect?")
Good question! They are popular in the U.K. but a distributor in N.A. would be nice...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
my brother bought this plane... crashed it and broke the fuse and wing quite bad. I glued it up all good but now he's afraid to fly it again. he flys the sim all the time and bought this as his step up from the champ (I went with the corsair and find it much more reasonable than what i saw happen to him with his sukhoi) is there perhaps a way to encourage him?... a trick to flying this plane... maybe in the setup. it is fit to fly, all the control surfaces are in working order. is it just too far beyond the skill level of someone who has not flown an alieron plane before? (we have logged many hours on Phoenix sim with their options, can't say I found it translated much) I fly more than him, my house is closer to a good field, but am a beginner just the same and don't really know what to tell him.

tldr: is this plane capable of being used as a training plane for alieron or should it be put back until more skill is gained through other planes?
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:43 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apothecarion View Post
my brother bought this plane... crashed it and broke the fuse and wing quite bad. I glued it up all good but now he's afraid to fly it again. he flys the sim all the time and bought this as his step up from the champ (I went with the corsair and find it much more reasonable than what i saw happen to him with his sukhoi) is there perhaps a way to encourage him?... a trick to flying this plane... maybe in the setup. it is fit to fly, all the control surfaces are in working order. is it just too far beyond the skill level of someone who has not flown an alieron plane before? (we have logged many hours on Phoenix sim with their options, can't say I found it translated much) I fly more than him, my house is closer to a good field, but am a beginner just the same and don't really know what to tell him.

tldr: is this plane capable of being used as a training plane for alieron or should it be put back until more skill is gained through other planes?
What Radio is he using to fly it? Don't say "the Champ radio"....
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
dx6i, sorry meant to add that
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion