HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:55 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@ R View Post
I just picked an XP over the weekend and she is sitting beautifully on my desk (25 mph winds with gusts up to 45mph)

Now I am off to find batteries, Seems like the most bank for your buck is the 180 mah hyperion. Where are you all purchasing these at???

Thanks in advance!
M@
M@,

Yes, the Hyp 180 is currently the best bang for the buck when all things are considered - initial power, available power over the course of the flight, available power near the end of the flight, 5c charging, and 300-400 cycles @ 5c charge with no loss in performance.

See my blog thread on UM batteries for Hyperion sources, and links to some independent test results of various UM cells.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362442

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
Yen
Orlando, FL
Joined Aug 2004
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
M@,

Yes, the Hyp 180 is currently the best bang for the buck when all things are considered - initial power, available power over the course of the flight, available power near the end of the flight, 5c charging, and 300-400 cycles @ 5c charge with no loss in performance.

See my blog thread on UM batteries for Hyperion sources, and links to some independent test results of various UM cells.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362442

Joel
Enjoyed reading the blog, good stuff
Yen is offline Find More Posts by Yen
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
M@,

Yes, the Hyp 180 is currently the best bang for the buck when all things are considered - initial power, available power over the course of the flight, available power near the end of the flight, 5c charging, and 300-400 cycles...

What about slow "hanging" flight? I still like my 130's because I can still fly super slow in confined places.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
What about slow "hanging" flight? I still like my 130's because I can still fly super slow in confined places.
What kind of flight time do you get with 130's? I found I overestimated my flight time as I was flying well into the pulsing, it was just windy so I didn't hear it.

Love this thing, flies better than expected. Anybody have a slightly slow servo though? My elevator servo is a bit louder than the others, and when it tries to go to neutral, it gets very close but has to spend another second slowly flattening out all the way. It's hardly noticeable in flight but I'd hate to have it die on me early.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:55 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Mine has been trouble free so far and thats 20+ flights since I purchased Friday afternoon. I have tumbled it in the grass about 5 times and yesterday I had to climb about 60 feet up a pine tree to recover from a brain fart. The climb took about 10 minutes the sap removal from my hands and arms took over an hour. Ordered some Turnigy Nanotech 160 mAh 25c's off of EBay to try out along with the RCFunlabs prop saver and GWS 5043 and 5030 I bought for my UM T-28 a while back.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:43 PM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Thanks for all the battery advice, I am going to get some of all of them!

Another question, both of my ailerons drop a little when they are even. How to I tweak them to level? Finally a calm day here to get this awesome little plane trimmed out.
M@ R is offline Find More Posts by M@ R
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:22 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
I managed to get 3 flights in after work and between thunderstorms. Mine didn't need any trim on the ailerons or rudder either on the TX or the pushrods but did need some back trim on the elevator to fly level even after I scooted the stock battery all the way back. It now tracks straight and level but my rudder is a few degrees to the right? Perhaps it compensates for prop torque that way? I like this little bird more every time I fly it. The best RC money I have spent except for my Dx6i.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:10 PM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
701 Posts
How does this bird compare with the Beast? Ready to pull the trigger on one but am annoyed at how expensive the nice batteries are. The price gets up there quick and I already have a ton of single cells for this one. Can someone also give me a quick rundown of the popular mods to the 26xp?

Thanks,

D
CaptDH is online now Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:20 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
HP,

True - for indoor flying, the Hyp 130s are an excellent choice. Have you tried the TP 160s for slow-flight? I really like them in my mSR. They weigh about the same as a Hyp 130, but they have nearly the punch of a Hyp 160. In fact, I no longer fly the Hyp 160s in my mSR...

The TP 160s might be a good choice for keeping the wing-loading down with minimal power-loss.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:43 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin H View Post
How does this bird compare with the Beast? Ready to pull the trigger on one but am annoyed at how expensive the nice batteries are. The price gets up there quick and I already have a ton of single cells for this one. Can someone also give me a quick rundown of the popular mods to the 26xp?

Thanks,

D
Darrin,

There is no comparison between the two. It's similar to comparing a Honda Civic to a BMW M5.

The Beast flies much 'bigger' than it is. Rock-solid & smooth - more like a 60-size plane. With the stock prop & pack, the Beast has truly unlimited vertical performance. With a GWS 5043 prop & a Hyperion 180 mAh pack, the Beast has a 1.9:1 thrust-to-weight. In contrast, the best you can get with the XP with the stock motor & 5043 prop is just over 1:1. Plus, the XP's brushed motor is not all that great. Some of them last for hundreds of flights, while others fail within the first 30-50 flights, and some fail on the first or second flight. Plus, the motors lose power as they age. With the Beast, you're getting a motor that will last for thousands of flights, and will not lose power over time.

The XP is much more durable than the Beast, however. If this will be your first high-performance aerobatic plane, the XP would be the better aerobatic trainer, due to its robustness alone. If you are comfortable with high-performance aerobatic planes, I'd say that the Beast is by far the better choice.

The UMX Beast packs are not considered expensive by RC standards. Quite the opposite, in fact. Many electric planes use $30-$100 packs. The packs used in some helis, ducted-fans & large-scale planes can cost more than one or even two UMX Beasts. For only $10, you can make your own 2s Hyperion packs for the Beast - which gets you the best-performing, longest-lasting pack you can buy/build.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:58 PM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
701 Posts
Thanks Joel.
I agree that the Beast batteries are a bargain compared to other aircraft and to what we paid a couple years ago. Soldering up a set would not be an issue either. I was just comparing them to the ultra cheap stuff we use in the rest of the UM aircraft. Thanks for the flight reports on both. Still love the 1 cell stuff. Just did 63 true touch and goes on my T-28 tonight. (8:24 on 1 pack)

D
CaptDH is online now Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:39 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
Ooops!!

Landed inverted last night. Expected the worst. If it weren't for the battery being dislodged it would have been a perfect two-point landing (canopy/tail-feather).
Reattached the battery, moved all the controls, fired up the motor and back in the air......no damage.

Getting ready for Sbach!
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Last edited by allelectrik; Jun 22, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:46 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
Landed inverted last night. Expected the worst. If it weren't for the battery being dislodged it would have been a perfect two-point landing (canopy/tail-feather).
Reattached the battery, moved all the controls, fired up the motor and back in the air......no damage.

Getting ready for Sbach!
Practicing inverted landings??

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:44 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
782 Posts
quick question.
I have a nice new su26xp arriving in a few days Joy
but i have just seen 5x 190mah 1s lipos on ebay for 20
they look a tad longer than the original batteries.
is any1 flying them? is it worth going for these of going for the 160mah which are the same size as the originals....
are there any problems flying the longer packs?
help :P
cheers chris
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:54 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
quick question.
I have a nice new su26xp arriving in a few days Joy
but i have just seen 5x 190mah 1s lipos on ebay for 20
they look a tad longer than the original batteries.
is any1 flying them? is it worth going for these of going for the 160mah which are the same size as the originals....
are there any problems flying the longer packs?
help :P
cheers chris
I fly my sukhoi xp with 180mah and 240mah hyperion flat packs. They work really well, better than stock, more power and flight time. Are the 190mah batteries shaped like the stock ones or are they rectangular flat packs? If they are the same as stock they should work well, you just have to adjust the location of the battery in the tray for the right CG. That's all, the bigger the battery the more flight time, but less agile.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5