HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:45 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Cheese,

Being a single guy has a lot to do with it.

I enjoy variety & a challenge, so I usually have planes in my hangar that fly very differently from each other. I want to try high-performance powered sailplanes next. Let's see what's in the hangar at the moment....

'Planks':

(2) original UM Sukhois (one flyable)
(3) XPs (two flyable)
(2) UMX Beasts (one flyable)
(1) UMX Sbach (soon, I hope!)
(1) UM F4U
(1) UM Mossie
(1) UM Cub
(1) UM Champ
(1) Vapor
(1) Hobby Lobby Wingo
(1) PA Extra 260 48" w/IPAs system
(1) 72" Ace Bingo w/Saito .91 4-stroke
(1) 60-size Top Flite Jug original kit w/flaps, air retracts & YS .91 supercharged, fuel-injected 4-stroke (needs new retracts & cowl)
(1) 1/4-scale Dynaflite Super Cub w/Fowler flaps & OS 160 flat-twin 4-stroke (engine needs major overhaul)
(1) 40-size Great Planes Sportster w/OS .46 SF-P two-stroke
(1) 80" Scorpio Taurus Plus mid-wing w/Fowler slotted flaps/airbrakes and LE stall-strips (in the bones, waiting to be covered, will be powered by a Saito FG-30 or FG-36 gasoline 4-stroke)

'Earth-repellers':

(1) mCX
(1) mSR
(1) BSR
(1) mCP X

I can't recall ever having them all flight-worthy at the same time, though.

Joel
Wow thats a lot of airplanes! ( Ah, that's why you have all that time) I think you'll like to add the F-27Q since it can fly pretty fast and looks precise. I'm going to get the Sbach and Dx6i once the 8% coupon is released from redrockethobbies.com. Hope theres one for 4th of july as there was one for father's day(was 3 days late, it expired , I'll wait for the next one).
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Just bought the SU-26xp Friday afternoon and have about 15 batteries on it so far. Great little bird and my first aerobatic. So far I love it I probably have more time inverted in this thing than everything else I have owned combined. I will attempt to read through this entire thread before asking any stupid questions or for any tips. I setup the dual rates and expo as suggested in the manual and that seems to work great for me at this point.
First flight was with the battery all the way forward like I do with my UM T-28 was not much fun. Second flight was with battery about halfway back and much better. The 3rd flight I went to high rates and scooted the battery all the way back and that worked so well I have stuck with that setup since. I have 8 new E-flite 150's and a 3 Tenergy 160's to fly with so far. I also have a prop saver and a GWS 5043 prop I bought for the little Trojan but never installed to try on the xp some time soon.
Glad you're enjoying the XP. It's a great little plane.

I'm flying Hyperion 180's and I have it almost all the way back but not completely. Probably a quarter inch from the back. Works great for me!!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:54 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Turboparker,
I really got a laugh out of your term 'Earth-repellers': I own a few of those too, mSR, SR and CX2.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
39 Posts
Ive had a stock XP for about 6 weeks now and love it.

I just bought another one with some problems (used) and plan on doing a 2S, AP05, XP-7A ESC conversion as outlined here.

Anybody know where I can get material for a firewall? RemE used very thin CF sheet, which I see on rcfoam.com, but its $26 for a 13" piece. I dont need that much or want to pay $26.

What are some suitable alternatives for that motor and firewall? Is it possible to use balsa?
Yerop is offline Find More Posts by Yerop
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:29 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerop View Post
Ive had a stock XP for about 6 weeks now and love it.

I just bought another one with some problems (used) and plan on doing a 2S, AP05, XP-7A ESC conversion as outlined here.

Anybody know where I can get material for a firewall? RemE used very thin CF sheet, which I see on rcfoam.com, but its $26 for a 13" piece. I dont need that much or want to pay $26.

What are some suitable alternatives for that motor and firewall? Is it possible to use balsa?
I used a credit card with tooth picks supporting it from the back. The motor is stiff and doesn't wobble. I don't know if it will survive th 2S ride on the sukhoi xp though. (my sukhoi xp is one celled brushless.)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
I just picked an XP over the weekend and she is sitting beautifully on my desk (25 mph winds with gusts up to 45mph)

Now I am off to find batteries, Seems like the most bank for your buck is the 180 mah hyperion. Where are you all purchasing these at???

Thanks in advance!
M@
M@ R is offline Find More Posts by M@ R
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
Yen
Orlando, FL
Joined Aug 2004
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@ R View Post
I just picked an XP over the weekend and she is sitting beautifully on my desk (25 mph winds with gusts up to 45mph)

Now I am off to find batteries, Seems like the most bank for your buck is the 180 mah hyperion. Where are you all purchasing these at???

Thanks in advance!
M@
Bishop power products
All e Rc
Yen is offline Find More Posts by Yen
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:12 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@ R View Post

Thanks in advance!
M@
The HK 160 Nanotechs work great in the XP and are less than $2 each. The Hyperions are better batteries, but for the same money, I would rather fly 10 batteries than 5 batteries.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:19 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
First flights with the new Sukhoi. I ended up setting the expo on the aileron to 70%, rudder to 55%, and elevator to 60%. What a difference it makes. I flew my original Sukhoi with a DX5e and it felt so much smoother with the expo.

So far I love it. At the end of the battery it has nearly as much power as the original did at the start with a 5043 prop. The Eflite 150mah batts give plenty of flight time- much more than I expected. If there's any negative I think that the old one MIGHT have handled the wind a little better, maybe because it was nose heavy.

I don't think I'll go back to big planes (except my Stryker). I loved being able to fly however I wanted in the park, and the small crashes didn't even leave a scratch. I also liked not having to worry so much about landing, which was always on the back of my mind when flying the full size Corsair. All it needs now is increased aileron throw, to be done now.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:22 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobkobico View Post
First flights with the new Sukhoi. I ended up setting the expo on the aileron to 70%, rudder to 55%, and elevator to 60%. What a difference it makes. I flew my original Sukhoi with a DX5e and it felt so much smoother with the expo.

So far I love it. At the end of the battery it has nearly as much power as the original did at the start with a 5043 prop. The Eflite 150mah batts give plenty of flight time- much more than I expected. If there's any negative I think that the old one MIGHT have handled the wind a little better, maybe because it was nose heavy.

I don't think I'll go back to big planes (except my Stryker). I loved being able to fly however I wanted in the park, and the small crashes didn't even leave a scratch. I also liked not having to worry so much about landing, which was always on the back of my mind when flying the full size Corsair. All it needs now is increased aileron throw, to be done now.
For more aileron throw for the sukhoi xp just move the aileron connecting wire to the inner hole on the bell crank. Watch out for aileron jams at full aileron throws (they happen sometimes), if that happens then set the max throw on the servo with your TX (DX6i right? ) to less than 100%.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
For more aileron throw for the sukhoi xp just move the aileron connecting wire to the inner hole on the bell crank. Watch out for aileron jams at full aileron throws (they happen sometimes), if that happens then set the max throw on the servo with your TX (DX6i right? ) to less than 100%.
Thanks, was just about to do just that. I already set the travel to 98% since I know these linear servos have been known to lock up (and indeed I had it happen once on the original).
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:01 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The HK 160 Nanotechs work great in the XP and are less than $2 each. The Hyperions are better batteries, but for the same money, I would rather fly 10 batteries than 5 batteries.
On my UMX-type Yak, I get about 5min with the 160 Nanotechs. I share your sentiment--paying $1.50/batt is just too tempting.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:47 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
On my UMX-type Yak, I get about 5min with the 160 Nanotechs. I share your sentiment--paying $1.50/batt is just too tempting.
I set my Timer on 5 min on my Extra 300 and Sukhois and I'm always able to make it to it starts pulsing, even trying to 3-D for the full battery.. Ugly 3D, but ugly 3D takes as much power as good 3D.

10 batteries gives me nearly a full hour of WOT flying. Just cruising around doing loops and rolls would be over an hour.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:51 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobkobico View Post
Thanks, was just about to do just that. I already set the travel to 98% since I know these linear servos have been known to lock up (and indeed I had it happen once on the original).
I need to get a DX6i to adjust the servo travel. I'm waiting fo the 8% coupon that should be coming out soon for redrockethobbies(they usually have a coupon near hoildays, last one was father's day).
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:17 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
I need to get a DX6i to adjust the servo travel. I'm waiting fo the 8% coupon that should be coming out soon for redrockethobbies(they usually have a coupon near hoildays, last one was father's day).
Yep they come out with those all the time. Definitely go for a radio upgrade, it's a huge help to have all these extra features including the model memory.

By the way, is it just me or is this new Sukhoi easy to turn right? For some reason I have a lot of trouble turning right with my planes. I hate doing it on my Stryker. I think it's a combo of both motor torque and simply not being used to doing it. However, I find this Sukhoi easy to turn well in both directions (and much better than the V1).