HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2011, 08:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Nope its not as fast as the sukhoi xp with the 5043/ hyperion cell. It seems slower in comparision with stock. Since the setup added 2g to the mustang with was already at 43 AUW. So even though the bl motor generated more power ( a few grams of thrust over stock motor that I had) it wasn't enough to pull the mustang faster. The thrust to weight ratio is at 1:1 for a few seconds then it drops down. The sukhoi xp wiht the 1S bl setup feels faster since it was already lighter and the old brushed motor was going out. I'm going to try attaching the wrap on and see if it stays. If the wrap is wrinkly when attached it might cause more drag than without. So smoothing it would be a challenge. We'll see...
Hmmm....

I wonder if you could just use blenderm tape for the gap seals? I'm not sure how much it would load the servos, but it would not wrinkle-up.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
39 Posts
My brick developed some sort of problem yesterday.

As soon as I plug the battery in, the rudder servo goes straight up, and wont respond to the Tx.

If I play with the gear on the servo while powered, it might go straight down....but either position its locked and the small motor seems to want to keep cranking, but it cant and gets hot.

i swapped the elevator servo over to the rudder side and its doing the same exact thing.

Ive tried to clean those 2 strips under the servo with an eraser and clean them, but nothing.

Ive read about bad FET on the board, but mine look OK. (not visibly burnt) Could anything else that could be causing this? Im trying to avoid getting a new brick.
Yerop is offline Find More Posts by Yerop
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:41 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerop View Post
My brick developed some sort of problem yesterday.

As soon as I plug the battery in, the rudder servo goes straight up, and wont respond to the Tx.

If I play with the gear on the servo while powered, it might go straight down....but either position its locked and the small motor seems to want to keep cranking, but it cant and gets hot.

i swapped the elevator servo over to the rudder side and its doing the same exact thing.

Ive tried to clean those 2 strips under the servo with an eraser and clean them, but nothing.

Ive read about bad FET on the board, but mine look OK. (not visibly burnt) Could anything else that could be causing this? Im trying to avoid getting a new brick.
Brushes are likely bent or simply gone. They are in the plastic part you have to remove to get access to the strips. It's a cheap part, I would simply replace it.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Jan 2011
39 Posts
i replaced the servo, what brushes are you referring to?
Yerop is offline Find More Posts by Yerop
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:55 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerop View Post

Ive read about bad FET on the board, but mine look OK. (not visibly burnt)
It's most likely a fused bridge driver IC causing your servo to stick.

I sent a pm...
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:47 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Hi Joel,

I have sealed the control surfaces on my Sukhoi Xp, it was easier than I thought, and had no weight gain. Going to test fly it this weekend, see if it improved anything.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:54 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,021 Posts
Hey guys -- I believe my motor is shot... pretty upsetting b/c both my sukhois (orig. and xp) now have shot motors. Should I invest in new motors or is the trend to convert to brushless?

Thanks for all the useful info!!!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:58 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Hey guys -- I believe my motor is shot... pretty upsetting b/c both my sukhois (orig. and xp) now have shot motors. Should I invest in new motors or is the trend to convert to brushless?

Thanks for all the useful info!!!
Brushless! I have upgraded my sukhoi xp to 1S brushless, It flies better, more solid than before and has a little bit more power. The brushless motors have no brushes to burn out, so it can last for a while. It took about $40 for the ESC and AP05 + 5043 prop. Thats about 2 brushed motors. I think it was worth it.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:19 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Brushless! I have upgraded my sukhoi xp to 1S brushless, It flies better, more solid than before and has a little bit more power. The brushless motors have no brushes to burn out, so it can last for a while. It took about $40 for the ESC and AP05 + 5043 prop. Thats about 2 brushed motors. I think it was worth it.
Perfect! Thanks for the info! What is added weight for this setup? Battery size? Is there a posted conversion thread? Where do you get the motor and ESC? Thanks again -- definitely goingto look into this!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Last edited by SNice; Jun 06, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:51 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Perfect! Thanks for the info! What is added weight for this setup? Battery size? Is there a posted conversion thread? Where do you get the motor and ESC? Thanks again -- definitely goingto look into this!
I got the electronics from HobbyKing, I'm using hyperion 180mah and 240mah, the conversion thread is here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=sukhoi+bl, and adds around 1.7g of weight.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:33 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Sealed control surfaces

Back from flight. The sealed control surfaces work pretty well for me. The sukhoi xp seems to go faster (just my gut feeling, has no science behind it, just a feeling). Also the elevator and rudder responds more crisp and effective. I don't need to use as much elevator for pulling up, which helped when the sukhoi xp went a bit too close to the ground.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:25 PM
Yen
Orlando, FL
Joined Aug 2004
120 Posts
Just got my SU-26XP. My first plane! I set up the throws/expo per manual. Flies great. I fly helis but never planes before. I practiced planes on the sim and was able to fly the sukhoi on the maiden flight. Lots of fun. Eyeing the new Stryker for a bigger bird too!

i like how the sukhoi flies nice and level and inverted too, with little stick input, and rolls nicely, which was the main reason i chose it over the micro trojan T-28.
Yen is offline Find More Posts by Yen
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
Just got my SU-26XP. My first plane! I set up the throws/expo per manual. Flies great. I fly helis but never planes before. I practiced planes on the sim and was able to fly the sukhoi on the maiden flight. Lots of fun. Eyeing the new Stryker for a bigger bird too!

i like how the sukhoi flies nice and level and inverted too, with little stick input, and rolls nicely, which was the main reason i chose it over the micro trojan T-28.
Impressive that you were able to maiden this successfully as your first plane! My maiden wasn't so lucky and I had three other planes before this one!

If you like this plane then you should consider the UMX Beast - it's by far my favorite plane.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:37 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,824 Posts
Quote:
Back from flight. The sealed control surfaces work pretty well for me. The sukhoi xp seems to go faster (just my gut feeling, has no science behind it, just a feeling). Also the elevator and rudder responds more crisp and effective. I don't need to use as much elevator for pulling up, which helped when the sukhoi xp went a bit too close to the ground.
Cheese,

The key here is that you noticed an increase in control authority, which proves that sealing the gaps helped enough to be noticeable. Given this, it is quite likely that top speed is also up a bit.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:40 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,824 Posts
Yen,

Congrats on maidening your first plane! Your sim-time definitely paid off!

The XP is a lot of fun, and it can handle a surprising amount of wind - provided the pilot has the skills. I liked the XP so much, I bought three of 'em. The Stryker Q does look interesting. I've been thinking about getting one - just for the times I feel the need for speed. Turnerm mentioned the UMX Beast. I also have a pair of those. It is an amazing UM. it's definitely my favorite UM plane, and I have a fair number of them. It flies much 'bigger' than it is - more like a large-scale plane. In heli terms, it would be like having a 250 that flies as smooth & 'big' as a 550. Another plane to look at is the soon-to-be-released UMX Sbach. The Sbach will outperform the Beast in most categories, and it will also be more robust - due to the much thicker wing. Handling will be closer to that of the XP than the Beast.

Just as it is with helis - bigger flies better. If you can fly the XP well, you should have no trouble flying unlimited aerobatic planes in any scale.

Joel
RCG Plus Member