SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:47 AM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
The main thing needed for this plane is more weight up front to bring the cg a bit more forward. that's really all that needs to be done out of the box before the maiden... although other changes wouldn't hurt.
btw the scale thing about my plane now is how it takes off and lands, before the mods it would start to take off and climb way to rapidly. Now it has a nice even climb that just appears more scale.
The plane would have stayed with tricycle landing but i had already lost the rear gear due to not securing the gear in well and then after wrecking i continued to test flight with poor results resulting in crashes, which each crash broke my nose gear repair and i got sick of making new firewalls and supports for the front gear so i tried something new.
And yes it doesn't look that pretty but it works and flys great!
Pigenflyer you gotta get her in the air you'll love how she looks on a fly by!! Just mess with the cg... the stock motor and control rods will do just fine unless your looking for much faster flight and more acrobatic flying. And if you can land well on a paved surface your nose gear will handle it... it's the rough landings and in grass that will cause it to snap off the firewall.
or you could just look at it and wonder what it would be like to fly it
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:00 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
tail dragger pics

ingenuity
Old Oct 14, 2010, 03:25 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I like that tail dragger mod
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Nov 22, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:29 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I like that tail dragger mod
it would've been even better if i could of come up with a steerable wheel instead of just a rear skid plate.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 03:54 AM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
hey guys, i found a way to fix the nose gear for less than 10 bucks.
use some hardply and a dobro nitro nose gear, it has a spring on it for the hard landings, with some 2" foam wheels.

i will post a mod vid on youtube.

p.s.
i like the mod coin, try a free spining wheel on the back, and add to the rudder maybe.....?
Pono420 is offline Find More Posts by Pono420
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:58 AM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
i'm afraid that the rudder wont be able to support the load of a wheel but i'm sure there is a way to make it happen.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 01:25 AM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
I just received a few things from hobby city including a spare motor (Turnigy 3542 1250kv) and a prop balancer.
The original 3 blade 11x9 is very unbalaced, hence the vibration noise in my onboard vid. I have installed the 1250kv motor with an 11x7 (balanced) 2 blade prop. This pulls 36 amps static and the plane seems to have plenty of grunt.
I did a short test flight vid with this set up. The COG was still a little out and the rudder wasn't trimmed correctly, however I got it back down in one piece.
Cheers,
Matt.

Short Cessna flight.wmv (0 min 55 sec)
1000w is offline Find More Posts by 1000w
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:28 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000w View Post
I did a short test flight vid with this set up. The COG was still a little out and the rudder wasn't trimmed correctly, however I got it back down in one piece.

Nice flying site and nice landing! Have you added flaps yet? I plan to since all the linkage & such is included. Mix in some elevator movement and maybe ailerons up (as spoilerons) when the flaps are deployed and it should help slow this bird down quite a bit...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Cheers Sammy70.
I have got flaps on it with a little down elevator mixed in, it stays completely level when the flaps are switched on. This works really well and the plane slows right down and floats in nicely.
I forgot to use the flaps on the above landing as I was struggling with the COG being out. I will try to film a nice slow flap landing, it looks great.
1000w is offline Find More Posts by 1000w
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:10 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pono420 View Post
hey guys, i found a way to fix the nose gear for less than 10 bucks.
use some hardply and a dobro nitro nose gear, it has a spring on it for the hard landings, with some 2" foam wheels.

i will post a mod vid on youtube.
great...

On my side I will mount the front gear with an aluminum shock absorbing wheel shaft.

I just repaired the firewall which was broken in a hard landing and this shock absorbing shaft should reduce a little the stress on the firewall.

I will too install skis on the gear of my Cessna in order to take off and land in snow

Me too, I will post the mod on youtube
Chriscool is offline Find More Posts by Chriscool
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:12 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
well i've got to say that my 400 is still flying like a beauty!! i think the best thing anyone one could do for this plane is to add a lot of weight to the front. the more nose heavy the better the flight! Skis sound like a great idea for the winter... i already have one on the back
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:07 AM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
cool idea CHRIS, it mite work.....i found that the motor board brakes b-cuz of the wheel being forced back to the tail, not from downward force from landing.

i have changed the motor board on my sky 400 about 5 times, 5 different ways,
till i found a fix to the prob's with the motor board.....

#1- i used some 1/4" hard ply-wood for the motor board.
( trace out the nylon motor board on to the hard ply).

#2- find a 5/32" nitro nose wheel set with a coil on it for flex, control arm, ect....
this will give you the needed flex to keep the motor board from snaping on landing, and so you can run bigger wheels for grass and dirt.

#3- use a 2" or 2 3/4" lite foam wheel for the nose and main's.
this will help the plane roll a lot better when landing in the grass.

#4- i would upgrade the nose wheel servo to a bigger one to help with the extra load
on that little 9g. servo.

i have been testing this mod ALOT and it is still in one pice.

i went to take off and got about 3' in the air and nosed the plane down in to the ground about 4 times VERY HARD and it still didnt brake.
now i need to upgrade the motor and run my nav. lights.

i hope this was helpful to you guys.
this was the strongest, cheepest, way i could find to fix this problem.

p.s.
if you have n e tips on my mod's hit me up.
Pono420 is offline Find More Posts by Pono420
Last edited by Pono420; Oct 22, 2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:34 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pono420 View Post
cool idea CHRIS, it mite work.....i found that the motor board brakes b-cuz of the wheel being forced back to the tail, not from downward force from landing
Yes, you're right.

I also thought to fix the front wheel mount on little silent block... But your mod seems great. Which .40 nitro nose wheel set do you use?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:32 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
When you write a message, you can find under the edit box additional options like the button "Manage Attachments". You can add some pictures which will be attached to this thread.

For a video, just type the URL in your message and the system will automatically change it.