HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:26 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinworker View Post
had some great flying today and some beautiful landings
Nice to hear that Were the landings still speedy ones? Or have you tried flaperons yet?
Any photos?
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:31 AM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
284 Posts
The good ones were speedy to medium. the bad landing was a slow landing...still without flaperons as well as flaps. thinking i might at least do flaperons to slow the plan down but land without the flaperons activated.
and no, no pictures. i tend to fly alone most of the time so no one to hold a camera. BTW i love your profile pic... Very nice!
i think i'm gonna try to harass pono420 on his youtube channel
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:13 AM
NY,NY
Joined Jul 2001
7 Posts
ee

eeeeeeeee
xios3 is offline Find More Posts by xios3
Last edited by xios3; Aug 12, 2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:18 PM
NY,NY
Joined Jul 2001
7 Posts
Crisscool you are the man i followed you directions to a tee on motor esc battery size and even placement of the battery all the way in front and the plane flew beautifully. Thanks so much for all your work I guy like you that help the newbies succeed in this hobby keep up the good work.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:44 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Thanks Xios

It is always a pleasure to share ideas. Have you installed the Turnigy SK3542/1000KV on yours?

Mine is currently under repair, for a landing a little too rough, the firewall was broken at the front gear. I must cut it out and redo a part. I will also install stronger front wheel steering mount.

At first, I just put some epoxy to solidify a bit the front gear mount, but as already mentioned in this post, the original is very fragile.
Chriscool is offline Find More Posts by Chriscool
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:40 AM
NY,NY
Joined Jul 2001
7 Posts
Cessna 400

Thanks again Criss this plane fly's awesome with all of your recommendations. I did install the 3542 as per your specs Ive been flying with a 3s 2600 and only get about 6 minutes with the turnigy sk3542/ 1000kv i just ordered a 3s 3000 hope fully i can get 10 minutes in the air. I redid the front landing gear by renforced it with 1/4 plywood front and back of the firewall then notched it to allow for the steering control arm to move freely, i installed a heavy duty strut mounts( that's the 2 u brackets that the steel rod goes through)with control arm then i made my own landing gear shaft with a steel rod long enough to come out the top of the plane since then have had some hard landings with absolutely no problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscool View Post
Thanks Xios

It is always a pleasure to share ideas. Have you installed the Turnigy SK3542/1000KV on yours?

Mine is currently under repair, for a landing a little too rough, the firewall was broken at the front gear. I must cut it out and redo a part. I will also install stronger front wheel steering mount.

At first, I just put some epoxy to solidify a bit the front gear mount, but as already mentioned in this post, the original is very fragile.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:25 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xios3 View Post
with a 3s 2600 and only get about 6 minutes with the turnigy sk3542/ 1000kv i just ordered a 3s 3000 hope fully i can get 10 minutes in the air.
Mine has not yet fly again (not had much time available to repair the front gear).

For autonomy, I will check and keep you informed.

But rather than taking a heavyin 3S 3000mAh, would it be better to go in 4S with a triblade 10x7 MAS... for the same weight you gain in autonomy (for the same power, more volts = less current = less consumption = better autonomy).
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3 Posts
Hey There.

Thanks for the great video review, much appreciated

I just bought myself a Sky Trainer 400 - looking very much forward to receiving it

I noticed in your video that you have secured the battery from moving forward by adding a piece of foam...

Question: Do you have the battery secured in the rear end as well? I mean, did you add some kind of "lock" to keep the battery in a fixed position?

Again, your video review was much appreciated and informative to me

Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinworker View Post
Hey guys i did a video review check it out!
RealMuhko is offline Find More Posts by RealMuhko
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:03 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
284 Posts
the battery i use is a tight fit so it seems to hold in place for the most part but i did add a piece of foam to the hatch door so that it can't slide back.
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:15 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Interesting, Dynam released an aircraft of this type ... watching at 1:15 where is located the lipo... it matches my trick

Dynam SR Trainer Brushless Low Wing Plane (6 min 29 sec)
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:18 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined May 2010
124 Posts
Looks nice.

Seems like a Cirrus SR20/22, rather than the Cessna 400 the sky trainer has been modelled off of, with the usual nitroplanes unlicensed name ('SR Trainer' ). Great Planes also has a balsa built up SR22:

ElectriFly™ Cirrus SR22 Turbo Sport-Scale ARF (1 min 47 sec)
Ben-M is offline Find More Posts by Ben-M
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:35 AM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their info and tips.
I recently purchased the Hobbycity Cessna 400 and read up on all the faults, particularly this thread.
I have not had my maiden with this plane yet as I have been fixing the faults and thought I should share my solutions here.
I have installed a slightly larger elevator servo, the little 9g seemed to be strugglling, and stiffer rods all round.
I have flap servos installed.
Strengthened the rear undercarage where it is soldered with wire and solder, used a strip of plastic so the rear undercarage is tight in the slot.
Using 5mm OD 3mm ID stainless tube, I made internally threaded tubes that I can bolt a plate to, to prevent the undercarage dropping out. The tubes were drilled to 3.5mm and a 4mm tap was used then glued into the oringinal holes.
This tube (undrilled) was also used to make bushes for the sloppy wheel and axle set up.
I also strengthened the fire wall and front wheel mount. I put a 3mm aluminium plate behind the fire wall, the black pen in the photos shows the rough dimentions of this plate. Some 3mm aluminium angle was used to brace the upper wheel mount with small screws going into it.
The rear plate is drilled and tapped for the 6 bolts that hold it all together.
I am going the try the standard motor first, then put my 3542 in.

Cheers,
Matt.
1000w is offline Find More Posts by 1000w
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:44 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,425 Posts
I would skip the stock motor and just put your 35-42 on it. That's what I used and it fits perfectly. Also balances perfectly with a 2200mah 3s 30c in the stock battery location. Don't forget to add a 40a (or larger) esc when you stick that 35-42 on
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:04 AM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
sup coin..... ive been working alot of planes for friends and mine. the vid of the last crash i had was real poor. i just got a new motor board today for my 400. a mod i found that works good to beef up the nose gear is to use 1/8 plexie glass,9 one on each side) with a lot of epoxy. then sand to finish ect...

ill see if i can get the wife to go flying with me to run the cam, so you guys can see how good the flaps work. its worth the 6.00 buck for the servos.

i got like 20 vids that i still got to put on youtube, and i got my new cam.

coin, i just got a alpha jet that does about 90-100mph check it out on my youtube chanel.
Pono420 is offline Find More Posts by Pono420
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:14 AM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Ok Sammy70, I took your advice and installed the 3542 motor.
Really easy swap.
I'll maiden it tomorrow morning hopefully.
Cheers,
Matt.
1000w is offline Find More Posts by 1000w