HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonflyer View Post
The arrangement of the battery in its compartment is really ridiculuous: the sharp end of the pushrod travels with the servo arm just to the right position to be able to punch the LiPo pack.

Take a good look at the removable hatch for the battery compartment--it has a hump made into it that will keep the lipo from sliding back....
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:03 PM
Joined Feb 2010
14 Posts
i just bought this plane, now gotta hit up hobby parts for the motor and the prop....new on here....modded an edf f-4 and its good now. Gonna mod this as well. I think china does a good job trying to mass cheap produce but upgrades are always wise. Especially right from the beggining. Keep her clean, busted up planes only fly better for rookies.
sillycow is offline Find More Posts by sillycow
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:46 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillycow View Post
I think china does a good job trying to mass cheap produce but upgrades are always wise.Keep her clean, busted up planes only fly better for rookies.
how true!!! you are one very wise man.

keep us updated on your mods and how she handles with em'.
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
so i need some advice/opinions. I've had some issues with landing at slower speeds. i have not tried the flaps yet but i found that i can slow my speed down when coming in for a landing by stalling her out at about 50 feet out, while coming in for a landing but then my issue is once i'm over the runway, i find that at about 5 feet off the ground i have a tendency to stall her again somehow. she'll stall and nose in and fall out of the sky. i'm thinking maybe it's a bit too nose heavy or maybe i need to set my tx up so that while i'm landing to have more expo so it's not as touchy. my other idea is to maybe try flaperons instead of installing flaps (i need to order some servo's if i'm going to install flaps).
i guess what i need to know is if anyone else has tried flaperons instead of flaps and if the plane is too nose heavy will it cause an easy tip stall and cause the plane to dive when flying at low speeds.
any and all opinions, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2010, 04:05 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinworker View Post
my other idea is to maybe try flaperons instead of installing flaps (i need to order some servo's if i'm going to install flaps).
i guess what i need to know is if anyone else has tried flaperons instead of flaps and if the plane is too nose heavy will it cause an easy tip stall and cause the plane to dive when flying at low speeds.
any and all opinions, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated.
Good question. And also, touchiness, the need for using exponential tx settings which I first asked.

I would really like to see what Pono420 can write about his experience with using flaps (and making the plane dead slow )

Not being specific to this plane I think when you are using flaperons (ailerons as flaps) you agree to loose some of the control of roll when gliding in to landing, which may not be what you want to do with a sensitive plane. Flaps on the Cessna 400 model are small and thus the only effect they would have would be to generate extra drag and slow down the plane. Flaperons, on the other hand, with limited downward travel, will change the airfoil to a more curved profile so that the wing will generate more lift. Depending on how this extra lift modifies your glide slope and the angle of the descending plane, you might need to mix some down elevator.

Another option is to use flaps for loosing speed plus flaperons for creating extra lift which is lost due to the reduced airspeed. Now what do you say to that?

Sammy: Well seen. Because the pack I bougth is a longish but slim one, I simply did not notice the hump as it does not reach deep enough into the belly of the plane to even touch my battery...
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Old Aug 02, 2010, 09:46 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Hello,

Due to its heavy tail I have modified my Cessna in order to put the battery into the cockpit. So I can better balance the CG and especially put my 3S 2600mAh lipos

Door closed:

and door opened:

I will upgrade motor to get little more power because the original is really a bit weak

Next step: new maiden flight
Chriscool is offline Find More Posts by Chriscool
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:45 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined May 2010
124 Posts
Quote:
my other idea is to maybe try flaperons instead of installing flaps (i need to order some servo's if i'm going to install flaps).
The real risk with flaperons is if you increase the angle of attack of the outboard portions of the wing beyond the angle of attack of the inboard portions. The result will be a tendency to tipstall when landing, without height to recover.

Adding flaps to the inboard section of the wing will increase the angle of attack of the inboard sections and ensure they stall first - delaying the stall on the outboard sections and preventing a tip stall.

Configuring for spoilerons - which decrease the wingtip angle of attack, reducing lift, but also increase drag, reducing speed - may be an option, however I've found on my planes they rarely help significantly: The shorter glideslope is countered by the faster speed needed to maintain lift, so in the end I find myself either landing fast or retracting the spoilers just before touchdown and floating a while.
Ben-M is offline Find More Posts by Ben-M
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:46 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscool View Post
I will upgrade motor to get little more power because the original is really a bit weak

Next step: new maiden flight
Does that mean you have already had an "old" maiden flight? How was it and what CG location where you using?

I thought I was going to maiden my father's a couple days ago, but....he forgot one wing bolt at home So we stuck the one bolt in and I did some high speed taxing to get the steering trimmed/turned down so it wasn't too sensitive at high speeds.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:46 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Yes, it has already had an "old" maiden flight. But with 2200mah lipo the plane is tail heavy and I did not like how it flying.

I have added weight to the front, but it was not enough. I'm not interested to fly with 1800mah because of the autonomy.

I prefer to place the lipo near the CG, it seems to me that the flight will be better.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:19 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,236 Posts
So where was your CG located on your old maiden? How many mm's back from the leading edge?

What location are you going to try now?
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:36 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Does this count as a maiden?
Yes, definitely something like it. An aborted-takoff-maiden at least, for sure.
Nice shot, anyway.

Ben-M: I agree, spoilerons are not what you want here. This is not a glider. Instead, what you want here is reduced speed with increased (or at least maintained) lift. I am still wondering about combining flaperons with flaps. That would result in increased lift and drag on the entire length of the wing.
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:33 PM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
My Cessa flew tonight with the new location of the lipo (see my post above). Ultimately, the best with my Turnigy 2600mAh is to install it across the cockpit close to the dashboard rather than in length.

With the motor Turnigy SK3542/1000Kv, a Master Airscrew 3-blades 11x8 and a TowerPro 40A ESC, it flies beautifully.

Nice power, good CG with "big" lipo... an entirely different bird very nice to fly. I use flaps and I admit it can slow down significantly.

It remains to solidify a bit the front gear which does not like rude landing (and as the Cessna is my trainer... it suffers a bit)
Old Aug 03, 2010, 10:10 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscool View Post
Nice power, good CG with "big" lipo... an entirely different bird very nice to fly. I use flaps and I admit it can slow down significantly.

Again I ask, what CG location are you using now? Specifically, how far back from the leading edge of the wing is your balance point?

I've got a similar setup with the 35-42 1100kv motor, but I opted for a MAS 11x7x3 prop.

I haven't made the flaps operational yet, but if she survives the maiden I probably will
Old Aug 04, 2010, 03:41 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
what CG location are you using now? Specifically, how far back from the leading edge of the wing is your balance point?
CG is now at 38mm. from the leading edge of the wing (measured on the black part where the wings attach to fuselage).

The 35-42 1100kv motor with MAS 11x7x3 prop will work perfectly.

Happy Flying
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:44 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
had some great flying today and some beautiful landings until the last one.... looks like i will be fixing the nose gear once again. oh well it's worth it she looks so good in the air!!! i'm still contemplating the flaps option... pono where's the vid???
RCG Plus Member