HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2010, 06:42 PM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
59 Posts
Nose gear mod

Added photos of nose gear mod to post #24.
unshackledbuzz is offline Find More Posts by unshackledbuzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2010, 07:58 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined May 2010
124 Posts
Quote:
that st350 looks alot smaller than the skytrainer 400.
I believe they're almost identical, though the fuselage looks a little different.
From Nitroplanes - wingspan 1400mm, length 1020, weight 1100g.
From ST Models - wingspan 1435mm, length 970, weight 980g.
Ben-M is offline Find More Posts by Ben-M
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:04 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
Anyone still flying (or attempting to!) this plane? My father just purchased one and I've been reading about all the experiences you all have had with it. His has the little 2836 motor which I have my doubts about. I'll be modding the front gear as many of you have.

Everyone comments about the tail heavy nature, but I've not read what CG location IS CORRECT?

Any other tips/advice appreciated...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jul 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Anyone still flying (or attempting to!) this plane? My father just purchased one and I've been reading about all the experiences you all have had with it. His has the little 2836 motor which I have my doubts about. I'll be modding the front gear as many of you have.

Everyone comments about the tail heavy nature, but I've not read what CG location IS CORRECT?

Any other tips/advice appreciated...
Well yeah, still flying and loving this plane!! where did you get yours? what is the kv on the 2836? The instructions point out the cg i just made sure it was a little nose heavy to be safe. i made the mistake of flying it without checking the cg for its first flight. i highly recommend the mod i made on my first vid, where i show the battery sliding much further forward than the stock set up allowed. Good luck and let us know how it goes and what you think of it.
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
Old Jul 11, 2010, 01:38 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
He got it from HobbyCity a while back for like $120 shipped. Looks like the Nitro version has a much larger motor in it. I have my doubts about this little 2836 motor (900kv FYI) on such a large/heavy'ish plane.

So how much further forward are you from the CG location indicated in the manual?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
He got it from HobbyCity a while back for like $120 shipped. Looks like the Nitro version has a much larger motor in it. I have my doubts about this little 2836 motor (900kv FYI) on such a large/heavy'ish plane.

So how much further forward are you from the CG location indicated in the manual?
i'm running my cg at around 7.5 cm instead of the recommended 8 cm which means slightly noes heavy. nose heavy is better than tail heavy!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:14 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
I've had a little time to mess with this plane. The stock 2836 motor will NOT cut it IMO. I'm going with a Monster Power 10 (from Hobbypartz) and MAS 10x7x3 prop which fits the stock spinner just fine. The motor will add some nose weight and make some niiiiiiice power with the 10x7x3 prop.

The hinges (or lack of) will need taped at least, or cut and add real hinges. I'll be swithcing out the ultra-wimpy control rods for the elev. & rudder with some leftover rods from the PZ T-28/Corsair models.

Anyone else flying this bird??
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:15 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinworker View Post
i'm running my cg at around 7.5 cm instead of the recommended 8 cm which means slightly noes heavy. nose heavy is better than tail heavy!
Thanks for the info!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:22 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
Did you guys glue your wing halves together (with the 2 carbon spars inside of course) or not?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:39 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
no i did not glue them. i find it easier to haul to the field with the wings apart. never really thought about making the two pieces of wing into one. i probably wont glue them together just because i like to feel a little more compact when packing up.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:40 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Sammy
let us know how the changes go and if you like the knew motor and prop set up.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:44 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
Just want to remind anyone flying this plane that I have both wings with 2 servos per wing, ailerons and flaps, led lights installed (red/green on tips, flashing white on TE, 1 white and 1 blue on LE)...it also comes with the light controller that plugs right into the receiver...any extra channel or Y it into any channel. All of the wires come out and into a 12 prong connector...so Ill include the prewired male and female ends.....all youll have to do is plug it into your receiver. Ill include the Y for the flaps too. Because of the 12 prong connector, youll only have to unplug it when you take off the wings.
$30 shipped conus.

I dont have the plane anymore, so Im just trying to sell them. Pics available...I think I posted them earlier in the thread.
If noone buys it within a month (ill stick around for that long till someone makes a mistake and needs them), Im gonna take out the 4 servos and light kit and trash it.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:13 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
Let me get this bird in the air first and find out if it's a "keeper" or not. If it is, and you still have the wings we'll take them off your hands. Looks like a very nice job running all the lights and making that harness!

Are these the wings that snapped in half?

Did you ever fly/land it with the flaps? If so, did they help much to slow her down on landings?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:24 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
no, these were not the wings I snapped in half. I got another kit from a guy who didnt like the plane and i needed a new fuselage. He threw in everything and I ended up using his wings to see how it flew without the extra weight of the flaps and lights. I couldnt tell a difference though...weight wise. I left his wings on and those are the ones that snapped.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
109 Posts
Hi you all out there,
I couldn't resist and ordered one from HobbyCity last weekend, despite all the warnings...
Having read through your comments I decided to do, before its maiden, the recommended modifications (strendthened firewall&gear structure; stronger pushrods; altered battery compartment to save servo and pack; some extra weight in anterior section to be on the nose-heavy side).
Any other suggestions?
Does flying this plane need TX exponential settings for ailerons or elevator? I understood that you need to fly (and land) it with speed rather than slow it out. But what does it do if you do try to fly slower? Stable enough or prone to stalling?
Thanx,
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer