Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
After a lot of experimenting with the C of G location. I found that my 400 flies very well with the C of G set at 60mm from the Leading Edge of the wings.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson View Post
Hi everyone, well I have flown the 400 ten times since changing the pushrods. It is very much improved model when all the flutter of the control surfaces has been stopped. The aircraft now flies faster, climbs better and the handling has improved. Obviously those thin piano wire pushrods fitted by the factory are flexing considerably in flight.

My advice is to upgrade the pushrods on the elevators and rudder, you will be very pleased with the results.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've upgraded the elevator rods. However, the weak link now is the servo. I'll be taking this opportunity to replace it with a stronger one.
ShermanFolks is offline Find More Posts by ShermanFolks
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
I just purchased the Sky trainer 400 kit. Where should I mount the speed controller and receiver?

Thanks
Lancair IV is offline Find More Posts by Lancair IV
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancair IV View Post
I just purchased the Sky trainer 400 kit. Where should I mount the speed controller and receiver?

Thanks
On my model the speed controller is mounted to the rear of the motor bulkhead and my 6 channel receiver is mounted in the wing recess in the fuselage.

Bill
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Ok. Here goes.

My set up 1st flight

Turnigy 3542/6 1000kv
MAS 11 X 7 Prop
Otter 40amp ESC with built in BEC located in battery compartment
Added 2 1/2" holes in bottom of fuselage behind battery to allow air to exit
Turnigy 22 mAh 2S 25C Batteries
Replaced plastic firewall with 1/4" plywood
Custom nose gear out of 1/8" rod. Nose gear extends to top of firewall
Adjustable motor mount
Spectrum OrangeRx R610 receiver
All push rods are run in tubes to eliminate flexing
Reinforced main gear with aircraft safety wire
Hi rate 100% travel on all control surfaces
Low rate 50% travel on all control surfaces
35% expo on low rate
CG set at 63mm from leading edge

First flight was made at low rate. Good power. Airplane was tail heavy, but controllable. After 3 minutes of flight, the ESC overheated and the motor died. pulled throttle to off, then applied half power. This rest the ESC and allowed the aircraft to make a rough landing on the grass. Nose gear bent rearward. The ESC was so hot, i could not touch it.

2nd Flight set up
Upgraded ESC to an E-Flight 60AMP Pro ESC
Moved ESC above the wing
Added 3/4 oz lead to wire wall
Moved the CG to 55mm from leading edge

2nd flight balance is much better. Good power. The roll rate seems very sluggish. Added 9 clicks of left aileron trim. Flight time was only 4 minutes and the motor died due to a dead battery. Was able to grease the landing on the numbers. Got Lucky again. Battery took 2225mAh during charge....... I think I'm going to cycle this puppy.......

3rd flight setup same as second
Good Power. Trim seemed good. Roll rate sluggish.
Unfortunately, we think the receiver lost signal in a turn. The engine stopped and there was no response on the controls. My luck continued and she regained a signal about 30 feet from becoming packaging material. Was able to get her over the field and on the ground with minor damage. A hole in the bottom of the fuselage from the nose gear wheel pant. Easy fix. We did a couple of range checks after, the first seemed to fall short of what I expected, the 2nd performed an hour later was much better. Go figure.

After talking to several guys, we decided that I should switch to a 11 X 6 X 3 prop to increase the flight time, and add a satellite receiver. No big deal.

We also changed the low rate expo on the Ailerons to 30% and travel to 70%. Changed the rudder low rate travel to 70%.

Did I mention how much fun this is.......

Cheers
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2011
114 Posts
I recieved my skytrainer and it had a dammaged wing out of the box the rudder was dammaged and missing what ever connects the landing gear to the bottom of the plane,,
Can some take a pic of what connects the landing gear to the bottom of the plane.
So I can fab somthing up.
Thanks
luigirox is offline Find More Posts by luigirox
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wings. You should write or call Nitro Planes for replacements. Unfortunately, the mains are just a press fit and a lousy press fit at that. I bought a Large Nylon Landing Gear Strap (SIG SH709), glued in 2 pieces of wood on each side of the main gear, the screwed the strap over the gear. Works great.

Hope that helps
Last edited by Lancair IV; Sep 18, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined May 2011
114 Posts
I like that fix
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,402 Posts
can someone please pm or post the correct mesurements and thread type for the wing screws?
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by irun4fundotca; Sep 22, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
So I found this plane in a kit for $52 on Nitroplanes and had a couple questions to shoot at y'all. I have the guts of a Parkzone Stinson that I'm wanting to transplant and was wondering if they would fit this plane. The ESC is eflite 30 amp, the motor is 480 BL Outrunner Motor 960Kv. I have a bunch of 3s 2200mah batteries that I'd like to use again also. Any posts back would be awesome. thanks
Hoopsta17_99 is offline Find More Posts by Hoopsta17_99
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:12 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,402 Posts
i might be wrong but im sure you can get by with that
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:35 AM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irun4fundotca View Post
i might be wrong but im sure you can get by with that
Isn't that pretty close to the stock setup on this bird??
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:39 AM
Joined May 2011
114 Posts
Is that 480 a little small?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigirox View Post
Is that 480 a little small?
The Nitroplanes website says that the motor that comes stock is a 3536-900kv isn't that comparable to the Parkzone motor