HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
@GrahamWilson

I have to admit to not having heard that coming from my model as yet but its still quite new. I thought the nosegaer pushrod was quite flimsy but as yet have not changed that out as my field is a little rough and I thought a bit of leeway might be a good thing for the servo. All in all am very pleased with it for the price it flies nicely but it dont like the wind to much

Bill
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Hey y'all ... first post here. I was into heli's and planes a few years back, and then we had a couple of babies. I'm just now able to carve out a few minutes to fly again

Anyway ... I have the FMS Flight Trainer 400 on its way from Banana Hobby (ordered before I read this epic thread), but I'm determined to make it fly. I will probably just "mod" the COG before putting her up.

Question: Looks like the new models come with a bigger motor than originally? The FMS site says it's a 3536-KV900, but we'll see what actually comes in the box. Think this is enough for smooth, relaxing flying? I'm not a 3D nut ... yet.

TIA!
ShermanFolks is offline Find More Posts by ShermanFolks
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Hey ShermanFolks

My video at post 432 shows my 400 with exactly the motor you describe and believe me its enough to do what you want with this plane. I also have the older 182 aircraft and i tis no where near as quick as this one.

Bill
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhally View Post
Hey ShermanFolks

My video at post 432 shows my 400 with exactly the motor you describe and believe me its enough to do what you want with this plane. I also have the older 182 aircraft and i tis no where near as quick as this one.

Bill
Beautiful vid Bill! Some really nice flybys. Thanks for the info. That's exactly the type of flying I do, so I should be fine. And your takeoffs were pretty quick.

I just trashed an Art-Tech 182, and that thing took an entire baseball infield to get off the ground. At least 60-80 feet at full throttle.

-Adam.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanFolks View Post
Beautiful vid Bill! Some really nice flybys. Thanks for the info. That's exactly the type of flying I do, so I should be fine. And your takeoffs were pretty quick.

I just trashed an Art-Tech 182, and that thing took an entire baseball infield to get off the ground. At least 60-80 feet at full throttle.

-Adam.
Hi Adam

In that case it will suit you down to the ground! Its a real nice model and I am enjoying flying it after waiting since xmas to fly it in some decent weather. I fitted the flaps to mine moved the CoG forward by 12mm or so and beefed up the nose gear mount as it is not that strong in its stock form.

Enjoy your model

Bill
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:26 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
FYI, 25% off coupon code is up
Nitroplanes Coupon codes
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
FYI, 25% off coupon code is up
Nitroplanes Coupon codes
Thanks just used it ... to order a new prop for the 400.

I had just finished building it, and I was trimming out all the control surfaces. It's been a while since I programmed my radio, and I stumbled onto some sort of test function. All of a sudden the plane spools up full blast and leaps forward into a chair. Prop snapped off, but I'm lucky that's all the was broken.

So I'm grounded until my new one arrives
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Is the NitroPlanes version the same as the FMS one? Or at least will the replacement parts fit?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a400-white-parts.html

Hoping so, because I just order two of the propellers and I can't find any FMS branded replacements.

EDIT: Looks like Banana Hobby does sell the replacements, many are out of stock at the moment. http://www.bananahobby.com/electric-...pare-part.html

But from what I can gather the NitroPlanes parts are the same.
Last edited by ShermanFolks; Apr 09, 2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Some new information has come to light, man.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Is the NitroPlanes version the same as the FMS one? Or at least will the replacement parts fit?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a400-white-parts.html

Hoping so, because I just order two of the propellers and I can't find any FMS branded replacements.
Yes they will fit without a doubt these models appear to be made in the same factory and branded for each individual client

Bill
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhally View Post
Yes they will fit without a doubt these models appear to be made in the same factory and branded for each individual client

Bill
Yup, the prop is an exact fit. It even has "FMS" molded on it.

So I've got it set up as best as I can. The elevators don't have much travel at all. I'm a little worried about takeoff, but I guess we'll see. My COG looks to be a hair under 70mm.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Yup, the prop is an exact fit. It even has "FMS" molded on it.

So I've got it set up as best as I can. The elevators don't have much travel at all. I'm a little worried about takeoff, but I guess we'll see. My COG looks to be a hair under 70mm.
The elavator surface is quite large and I would think you will be OK I knowI tamed mine down for low and high rates on my transmitter.

Let us know how you get on!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
I just bought beefier linkage rods at the LHS. Hopefully that will allow a little more elevator. But the weak link now will definitely be that little servo.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Maiden flight was a bust. She was porpoising bad. I did my best to keep her stable, slow down and get her on the ground. It was a very soft landing but the tall grass snagged the front gear and it stripped out the rudder servo.

So I have to replace a servo and move weight forward before next flight.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:19 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,852 Posts
Hi everyone, well I have flown the 400 ten times since changing the pushrods. It is very much improved model when all the flutter of the control surfaces has been stopped. The aircraft now flies faster, climbs better and the handling has improved. Obviously those thin piano wire pushrods fitted by the factory are flexing considerably in flight.

My advice is to upgrade the pushrods on the elevators and rudder, you will be very pleased with the results.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Maiden flight was a bust. She was porpoising bad. I did my best to keep her stable, slow down and get her on the ground. It was a very soft landing but the tall grass snagged the front gear and it stripped out the rudder servo.

So I have to replace a servo and move weight forward before next flight.
Sorry to hear about your problems defo sounds like you need to move things forward a little. I fly my models with 2200mah 3S batteries and on my plane its located so the end of the battery pack is just behind the seats in the cockpit but underneath if you know what I mean.

Bill