Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:38 AM
Lester Lindquist
United States, IA, Chariton
Joined Jun 2011
177 Posts
Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettOZ84 View Post
I thought I would show some pictures of what I did to the front landing gear and explain a little.

I placed some thin ply behind the plastic firewall so it wouldn't move as much during landings. I also drilled out the main plastic landing gear guide the large round plastic guide. I than took a 40 size nitro front landing gear and placed a small piece of fuel tubing on the shaft of the of the new gear. I drilled the main guide to be slightly smaller than the fuel tub/shaft diameter.

I placed the fuel landing gear into the drilled out guide hole and than used some wheel locks to hold the gear in place from top to bottom. The reasoning behind the fuel tubing and drilling out the main landing gear guide was to make sure there was no room for play side to side.
I was wondering if you could send me a link to the landing gear you used. I have been trying to find one like you used but not sure if the ones I have seen are the size you used or not. I got this plane on black Friday and am in the process of doing the mods and getting it ready for spring. Thanks for your info you shared with us.

John
FlyingHigh324 is offline Find More Posts by FlyingHigh324
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:59 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
visor, how did that happen?
Lipo Fire?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:19 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh324 View Post
I was wondering if you could send me a link to the landing gear you used. I have been trying to find one like you used but not sure if the ones I have seen are the size you used or not. I got this plane on black Friday and am in the process of doing the mods and getting it ready for spring. Thanks for your info you shared with us.

John
I was using a standard .40 size nitro landing gear. I am in the process of trying to figure out a new firewall, so I am probably going to be replacing the landing gear too. Something a little lighter as the new firewall is probably going to add some extra weight as well.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Anyone have any good idea's for what to build my new firewall out of? Plywood? another plastic? I don't have access to do a light aluminum plate, which I would prefer but, oh well. Wood is probably easiest to work with for me. I am just tired of trying to fix the plastic firewall and having my nose gear break on me all the time.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:15 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhally View Post
Sounds good skip34 it will be a while before I get to do anything with mine but am really looking forward to getting to grips with it. Have you any video of your build at all? Also where did your Centre of Gravity end up eventually?
afraid i don't have any pics at the mo, as for CG been a nubie i will try to tell you where i have mine, with all the mods i worked out front end is now 45g heavier, and i also cut a hole in the roof for the batt, i removed the seats and in the cab there is a join where the epo connects just behind seats. i have velcro from that line towards the back of cab, i use a 2200 3s and when the batt is in plane 'centre of batt is approx 13cm from leading edge of wing, measured from above' sorry i cant expalin it any better.. hope it helps
skip34 is offline Find More Posts by skip34
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:17 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have any good idea's for what to build my new firewall out of? Plywood? another plastic? I don't have access to do a light aluminum plate, which I would prefer but, oh well. Wood is probably easiest to work with for me. I am just tired of trying to fix the plastic firewall and having my nose gear break on me all the time.
i did all the mods in this thread, and i did what 'Pono420 on page 9' for the fire wall and front gear, works like a treat had a few rough landings no probs so far...
skip34 is offline Find More Posts by skip34
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined Sep 2009
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip34 View Post
afraid i don't have any pics at the mo, as for CG been a nubie i will try to tell you where i have mine, with all the mods i worked out front end is now 45g heavier, and i also cut a hole in the roof for the batt, i removed the seats and in the cab there is a join where the epo connects just behind seats. i have velcro from that line towards the back of cab, i use a 2200 3s and when the batt is in plane 'centre of batt is approx 13cm from leading edge of wing, measured from above' sorry i cant expalin it any better.. hope it helps
Thanks skip sounds like mine is in much the same position as yours but underneath the cockpit and accessed by the original battery panel. I cut the foam away to allow the battery to move further forward into that same area. CG looks good and I am happy to test it when the weather improves here
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
Airfield Cessna 400 with Skis (4 min 47 sec)
jasturkey is offline Find More Posts by jasturkey
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
@#$%! Tricycle skis are tricky!!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Good work there towards the end on your landings!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
Thanks BennettOZ84. I decided landings were too slow, thats why they improved at the end, I increased landing speed. Wind was definately a factor on these flights. The nose is also too heavy for this size ski which makes for rough slow landings. I'm in the process of making a larger ski for the nose to be tested. My 182 is next to get skis!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Sep 2009
448 Posts
Well the weather got better and I finally got to maiden my 400:-

Corvalis 400 (Skytrainer 400) First Test Flights. (6 min 23 sec)

Bill
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Great Video Bill
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Sep 2009
448 Posts
Quote:
Great Video Bill
Thanks am really enjoying my model now after waiting some time for some better weather here in Northern England.

Bill
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:27 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Hi everyone on this thread. I have been flying my 400 for a few months now.It is the HobbyKing.com version.
I have noticed a fluttering sound as the model flies by. I assume this is the elevators or the rudder. Inspection of the pushrods has revealed that have have become very flexible. So I have replaced them with3mm carbon fibre pushrods with 2mm piano wire on each end. Hopefully this will cure the problems.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member