to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:15 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrockie View Post
Still in one piece, bench test was successful, you can bet I won't be skimping on the glue anymore!
dude... that isn't a nitro prop is it? major overload for an electric motor...
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:13 AM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettOZ84 View Post
dude... that isn't a nitro prop is it? major overload for an electric motor...
I've been flying for over a year and you are the first person to bring that up. I thought as long as it was plastic or glass/nylon it would be fine for electric. I went to MAS website and sure enough it's made for 2/4 stroke nitro. Thanks for noticing that, in the future I'll pay more attention to what I buy and what it can be used on. Learn something new everyday!!
schrockie is offline Find More Posts by schrockie
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:03 AM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Nitro props are built up a little different, they have a slightly more rigid structure and the pitch grade is different. A nitro prop on an electric motor reduces the life time of the motor and puts extra strain on your ESC. Also, the prop reduces the efficiency by close to 25%.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:03 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
That video reminds me of another one
Proper Field Repair Wack a Mole RC (2 min 52 sec)
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 17, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old May 02, 2011, 03:28 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
i have the greatplanes cirrus sr22 which is this plane,its a pretty delicate plane. i like this plane cause of it being a foamie and i bet is more durable.i was also looking at dynams sr trainer,what you guys prefer the airfield or the dynam?
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old May 02, 2011, 11:44 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
from the pics it looks like you can add flaps to the plane,has anyone done it?
Old May 05, 2011, 12:09 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Cessna400 with flaps added

FMS Cessna 400 after CG mod with flaps (4 min 37 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old May 07, 2011, 10:49 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
That video reminds me of another one :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny-HzzK50hI

Frankenplane (14 min 6 sec)
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
Old May 08, 2011, 10:57 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Anyone see this guy's skytrainer?
He turned it into a trike with retracts then took on some swifts in combat.
SkyTrainer400 -- Beauty and The Beast (3 min 24 sec)
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 17, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old May 08, 2011, 02:48 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
400 Maiden

Well, after 5 months I finally got the nerve to maiden it and it flew nice. I have video but it isn't that good to post, most of the vid is just a spec on blue paper. I had it up in the air too long for the stock battery (<5min) and felt it loosing power so I tried to do my 1st wheeled landing. I came in too hot and it just wizzed by me and on the 2nd approach I lost power and had no choice but to ditch it. Where it went down I was sure I was going to be climbing some trees but it actually landed in algae topped (green)pond and after a waist deep dip in the pond it was virtually unscathed. I'm glad I moved the battery compartment to the cockpit otherwise I probably would have shorted the whole system. Still drying out, haven't checked servo's to see if they're still working. Any suggestions on landing this bird will be greatly appreciated seeing how I've never done a wheeled landing. I have a Spektrum DX6i so any programming info for landing it is also helpful.

Schrockie
Old May 08, 2011, 03:02 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
499 maiden

I may have spoken too soon, plugged my battery back in and had no response. I'll take it apart later this afternoon and see what damage I've done. Until then, may the wind be with you!

Troy
Old May 09, 2011, 03:19 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
106 Posts
My Cessna 400 was also maidened last week during two test flights.
Very nice scale moving in the air, but power seemed to be limited considering the Turnigy 4240 900kV motor and 12x6 three-blade prop.
My friend who actually did the flying used full throttle all the time and even so, after about 3 minutes flight time, only 750mAh was used up. So back home I checked the transmitter and found that the upper treshold of throttle range had been, for some reason, cut down to 32%.
Even with such settings the plane flew safely and steadily. Strip landing was nicely accomplished both times, although as speed was lost, my friend used up elevator and high incidence plus throttle compensation to remain airborn, making the touchdown to have a taste of 3D.
Here are a few pics on how the plane looked in the air.
Schrockie: Water landing is much better than treetop landing.
As to landing settings, we haven't tried using the flaps at landing, only for takeoff, but this week we'll fly the Cessna again and will try engaging landing flaps as well. For anyone wanting to do nice landings, the best would to be able to practise in a place like the one Visor and his companions use. Long enough for nicely and visibly lining up for approach, wide enough for being able to adjust alignment, smooth enough for nice rolling and taxiing.
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Old May 09, 2011, 07:33 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrockie View Post
. Any suggestions on landing this bird will be greatly appreciated seeing how I've never done a wheeled landing. I have a Spektrum DX6i so any programming info for landing it is also helpful.

Schrockie
SLOW IT DOWN, make a long approach. as you get to the edge of the runway you should be close to stall speed. flare with the elevator to control downward speed.
Old May 09, 2011, 09:05 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
can someone please take a pic of the back part of the spinner that goes on the hub adapter and can you measure hex shape that on the back side of the spinner.
i want to see if i can use the 400 spinner on the 182