HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:14 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrockie View Post
Here it is:
Well, thanks Schrockie I did not really want to quote that video because that's a relatively old one, and I do not like the childish looks my An-2 had at that time. That was one reason I modified it, so that it has a more scale look. Now it has dihedral in both wing surfaces, cabin is completely rebuilt, nose extended with NACA cowling, etc. As soon as I manage to capture a footage of it flying, the old vid will be replaced.
But this weekend, it is the Cessna's turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor
PS I just spent $100 at Hobby King... Oooooh yeaaaahhh!!!! Merry Christmas all over again!
Tricky thing with HK is that by the time I succeed in finalising an order, the status of some item will always change to 'backorder'. I will then start looking at the lists all over again, find something else to think about, postpone the order, and the whole cycle starts again. On one hand it's frustrating, but on the other, it's good for keeping the number of my 'Christmases' down at a reasonable level
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:00 AM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonflyer View Post
Well, thanks Schrockie I did not really want to quote that video because that's a relatively old one, and I do not like the childish looks my An-2 had at that time. That was one reason I modified it, so that it has a more scale look. Now it has dihedral in both wing surfaces, cabin is completely rebuilt, nose extended with NACA cowling, etc. As soon as I manage to capture a footage of it flying, the old vid will be replaced.

Tricky thing with HK is that by the time I succeed in finalising an order, the status of some item will always change to 'backorder'. I will then start looking at the lists all over again, find something else to think about, postpone the order, and the whole cycle starts again. On one hand it's frustrating, but on the other, it's good for keeping the number of my 'Christmases' down at a reasonable level
I kinda liked the video, I've have actually spent the last two hours trying to translate your subtitles and I'm only at the 30sec. mark. Well it's 5am here in Florida, USA, I'm giving up and going to try and get some sleep.
schrockie is offline Find More Posts by schrockie
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
109 Posts
Quote:
I kinda liked the video, I've have actually spent the last two hours trying to translate your subtitles and I'm only at the 30sec. mark. Well it's 5am here in Florida, USA, I'm giving up and going to try and get some sleep.
Don't waste your time on rubbish
I PM-ed you the subtitles in English translation.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:07 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Don't waste your time on rubbish
I PM-ed you the subtitles in English translation.
Thanks for the translation, I was using 4 different sites and still couldn't find a translation for some of the words.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post
Thanks Pigeonflyer, it is even more tempting now :-) I don't have a biplane in my collection yet... BTW I am Russian, so building a kukuruznik should be a given
OK now I think I figured out your name. First I thought you must be Ad Visor. Then, reading your useful comments, I thought you could even be Super Visor. And now knwing that you're Russian, I am sure your nikckname cannot originate from elswhere but from TелеВизор.

(Well, I hope this silly little bit of joke does not hurt you. It is just good sometimes to play a game of words, forgive me that. I do really appreciate your comments and precise accounts. For me, you are truly Ad Visor, of the best kind around here. )

Kukuriznik: I have not heard that name before. I know Annushka (in Hungarian transcription something like 'Antsha') Does that come from maize crop spraying?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:12 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Took some advise and gave my rudder and nose wheel there own servos. I also hot glued my landing gear in place. Crazy they didn't work out a secure landing gear before releaseing these birds.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Got my order in today to HobbyKing, had to go airmail, couldn't afford EMS. So anywhere from 6 to 39 days. Ordered the Turnigy 35-36c 1100Kv, APC 11x6, enough hinges to redo the 400 and a couple other planes, and a couple of DSM2 compatiable RX's for my DX6i.
Last edited by schrockie; Mar 21, 2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:35 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
OK now I think I figured out your name. First I thought you must be Ad Visor. Then, reading your useful comments, I thought you could even be Super Visor. And now knwing that you're Russian, I am sure your nikckname cannot originate from elswhere but from TелеВизор.
Ha ha, never thought of transformations of my nickname into anything, let alone in TелеВизор! Good one!

Quote:
(Well, I hope this silly little bit of joke does not hurt you.

Naw, that only made me laugh

Quote:
I do really appreciate your comments and precise accounts. For me, you are truly Ad Visor, of the best kind around here. )
Thank you! You are too kind!

Quote:
Kukuriznik: I have not heard that name before. I know Annushka (in Hungarian transcription something like 'Antsha') Does that come from maize crop spraying?
You are right, it does come from maize crop spraying
I think it started with an old Po2 (Polikarpov is the designer) it was nicknamed Kukuruznik. Since then pretty much any biplane a common russian folk would call a kukuruznik. But a more involved person would call it warmly -Annushka

That Po2 could take off or land practically on any small patch of grass, constructed of plywood and fabric it would fly low and slow. Flying at night during WWII over the German positions it kept soldiers awake, made them tired to fight next day.
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
Last edited by Visor; Mar 22, 2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:14 AM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
I think you should keep the old one as well - I liked it.

Quote:
you have the audience!

Quote:
I am slow on looking, reading reviews, thinking... more thinking...
but then I order it quickly!
And I do my best at pacing myself... for example I did not buy this thing (but I REEEAALLLY want one!) : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4641
So I think I am being good.
Do you hear me, Santa?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:24 AM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Got my order in today to HobbyKing, had to go airmail, couldn't afford EMS. So anywhere from 6 to 39 days. Ordered the Turnigy 35-36c 1100Kv, APC 11x6, enough hinges to redo the 400 and a couple other planes, and a couple of DSM2 compatiable RX's for my DX6i.
Yay! Now your mailbox is going to take a special place on your list of life's priorities
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:36 AM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post
Yay! Now your mailbox is going to take a special place on your list of life's priorities
You betcha, I've already got motion sensors and real time cameras hooked up to the mailbox and front porch. If anybody drops off a package I'll get an e-mail to my PC and a text to my mobile!! Just kidding, sounded good though. LOL
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:13 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Maiden Successful flight today! I will post a video shortly. My wife and baby went with me, but for some reason more baby was in the video footage than airplane, so I will edit and post when I get a chance.

Was still nose heavy even after moving battery far back as possible. Only a little bit of trim and it flew pretty nice. I noticed landings where a little hot and it doesn't float really well...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:22 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettOZ84 View Post
Maiden Successful flight today! I will post a video shortly. My wife and baby went with me, but for some reason more baby was in the video footage than airplane, so I will edit and post when I get a chance.

Was still nose heavy even after moving battery far back as possible. Only a little bit of trim and it flew pretty nice. I noticed landings where a little hot and it doesn't float really well...
Congrats! Can't wait to see the video

You are right, it is a heavier plane and it needs some speed to support itself.

You should keep a tiny bit of baby in the video - just to keep your wife happy
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:48 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
I started working on something different today - a streamlined wing with no gap for ailerons. Two servos - two pivots. A signal processor will split the signal between two servos. Servo 1 can move counterclockwise as shown with red arrow, while servo 2 is at rest. Servo 2 can move from centre clockwise, while servo 1 is at rest. At no point can two servos move together - servo 1 can move aileron only "down" and servo 2 can move aileron only "up". A special hinge will hold the aileron.

Name: streamlinedwing.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 17.9 KB
Description:

The hinge:

ParkZone Spitfire aileron modification (0 min 29 sec)

I have tried that type of hinge on many of my planes, works good but with one down draw - the aileron has a small play in its neutral position. I think this two servo business will fix that.

Another one:

Super Cub aileron mod (1 min 12 sec)

If it works out, I will share this technology.

BTW we clocked the Spitfire - about 150 km/h
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:28 AM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Here is the maiden video of my Airfield RC Sky Trainer 400.

Cessna Sky Trainer Maiden Video.wmv (2 min 59 sec)