Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:40 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,509 Posts
Ill get some pics up tonight. Ive been meaning to trash the plane because its in pieces, but I havent gotten around to it. Ill take some pics of where the wing snapped.
Its possible that the more powerful motor and the fact that I was running a 4C pack.....um...and the fact that I like to do blenders with a plane that isnt designed for it, didnt help.
If youre running stock stuff and arent doing crazy stuff, youre prolly ok.
Heres some pics of the beefed up firewall. I got this fuse from another guy after repeated attempts to repair mine. I did some minor work to his design and it was holding up well before the crash.
Cabledawg1 is online now Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:10 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hac402 View Post
Do you think it has enough power to hand launch, or would a change of prop help?
This is my first low wing plane and I fly from a grass field.
Thanks
hey i just talked to pono421 on youtube and he says yes it's possible but he suggested to use flaps and to not be new to hand launching or flying. Flaps down full throttle and a good toss should do it.
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:13 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,509 Posts
Heres the pics
One does show where the break occured on the old wing. Youll notice that Ive made a plug for the wing. Its a 12 pin plug. 3 pins for ailerons, 3 for flaps, and 6 for the lights. Ill also include the wiring harness I made up which includes the light controller. It plugs into a spare channel on the receiver or I had it Y-eyed into the BEC. With this setup, when you remove the wings, you only have 2 plugs to unplug....and they only go one way, so you cant screw it up.
Just so you know....I spent alot of time on this soldering wires. I have a soldering station and am very good at it so theres no chance of something coming loose.
The lights on the wing are as follows. Green/red on the tip (depending on which wing it is), white flashing on rear of wing, 1 blue and 1 white side by side on the front. The blue is one that I added because it doesnt show up as well as the white, so it looks like a reflection of the white one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:32 AM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
looks like an elaborate set up there... Thanks for the picks i'll keep it in mind. So how do you like the new sukhoi?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:17 AM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
59 Posts
landing gear

How are you securing the main gear to the fuse? Before I fabricate my own solution I'd like to know if perhaps I'm missing a part. The holes just fore and aft of the gear suggest a strap of some kind is used, but probing the holes shows only foam at the bottom.

Thanks
unshackledbuzz is offline Find More Posts by unshackledbuzz
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:57 AM
Romania
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Yesterday I had my C400 maiden flight. I agree with most of the things said beforehand. Yes, the elevator and rudder rods are too weak and the front wheel is annoying. I kept everything from the box for the first flight, and here is how it went.

I have a grass field but it's just a field so the surface is not smooth enough to allow a straight takeoff. I tried 4 times w/o any success. Then, even if it's a little heavy and too big to keep with just one hand I took my chances for a hand lunch. Full throttle and go! Let's say that with my right hand up I did the lunch from 2.10m height...Fantastic, the plane took off after a smooth glide of about 1 m (in vertical terms) and to say all about the hand lunch and repeated 4 times in perfect conditions.

I used a 3S 2500mah 20C which fitted perfectly in the battery place BUT I find very strange to have a servo right there where all the wires and plugs should be...therefore i tried to hide them from the servo throws...Even with this battery for the first time the plane was nose heavy so I had to trim it a lot. After that the balance was good.

The power of the stock motor it not great...ok I didn't expect to move like an acrobatic but still, a looping was quite a difficult task...and the climbing speed not too great. Maybe it's the low wing dynamics; I don't know it's my first experience, until now I had quite nice flights with biplanes and high wings.

Landings were barely ok...the plane is in one piece, but yes it seems that comes with too much speed. And again with the front wheel fixed it might be a lot better. I agree thatit is the most important to touch down with the main wheels even though in my case they are not too tight and the wheel skirts are touching the wheel rubber and the runway !!!

I plan to change the motor and to fix the front wheel and after that I’ll be back.

Good luck,
Vooya is offline Find More Posts by Vooya
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:12 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unshackledbuzz View Post
How are you securing the main gear to the fuse? Before I fabricate my own solution I'd like to know if perhaps I'm missing a part. The holes just fore and aft of the gear suggest a strap of some kind is used, but probing the holes shows only foam at the bottom.

Thanks
i didn't secure my landing gear... that's why i spent half a day wondering in a field looking for it after it fell off the plane in mid flight. i would say use a touch of hot glue to secure them in place. i don't think there was any thing in the design to help hold the gear in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:48 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
the wind has been too strong to fly lately... i'm startin' to jones for a flight. maybe i'll make that mod vid.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:49 PM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
59 Posts
Front gear mod

While I haven't tested it yet, I want to pass on a mod to the front gear to add strength.

I purchased some music wire that matches the diameter of the existing front gear, and bent it to match the shape of the original wire, but extended the length about 4 inches up past the stock bushings.

I also purchased some brass tubing that had an ID that matched the wire OD.

Installed the new gear wire up thru the existing bushings and carefully pushed it up thru the foam at the top of the nose of the fuse. Removed the wire and carefully bored out this hole to match the diameter of the brass tube. Insert the brass tube down thru this hole until it touches the upper stock bushing and then trim the brass tube so its flush with the foam on top. I then fabricated a wood block with a hole that matched the brass tubing OD, carved out some foam around the hole in the foam on top of the nose, and glued the wood block and brass tube in place flush to the foam and then installed the new gear wire with mounted wheel, etc. The wood block will be covered and out of sight with the mounting of the nose cowling

The wood block now takes half of the load away from the stock bushings and the gear seems to be quite sturdy. The wire will take some effort to bend correctly using a vice, but I'm no expert and managed to get it done. The new longer gear wire should also allow trimming the relative height of the nose to the wing for easier take offs (positive wing incidence).
unshackledbuzz is offline Find More Posts by unshackledbuzz
Last edited by unshackledbuzz; Jul 05, 2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:31 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
i would love to see some photos of this! Thanks for sharing the ideas.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:31 AM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
sup coin...... ive been doing mods on some of the new planes i got from nitroplanes.
i still have to paint the rest of the fuse on my 400. i will take some pics of the mods that i have done, what paint i used, and so on.

it took me forever to find this thread, sorry for the delay.

i got a card reader to get the vids off my cam that i lost. next time i will put some string to keep it from falling off, and when i opend the file, the cam stopped rec. just after take off.
so that hole flight was for nothing.

ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER DOLLER.
Pono420 is offline Find More Posts by Pono420
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:38 AM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
I'LL make a vid of me hand launching my 400, some snap rolls, barellrolls, and a little inverted if i can get the wife to film for me.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:48 AM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Ill get some pics up tonight. Ive been meaning to trash the plane because its in pieces, but I havent gotten around to it. Ill take some pics of where the wing snapped.
Its possible that the more powerful motor and the fact that I was running a 4C pack.....um...and the fact that I like to do blenders with a plane that isnt designed for it, didnt help.
If youre running stock stuff and arent doing crazy stuff, youre prolly ok.
Heres some pics of the beefed up firewall. I got this fuse from another guy after repeated attempts to repair mine. I did some minor work to his design and it was holding up well before the crash.
whats the motor and esc are your using?....... and what class of motor would work for a upgrade for a little more power but still run a 3 cell.

i have no clue where to start.
i got some cash for the mods but i dont wunt to buy the wrong set up.

this is a mod that a lot of people are looking for.
thanks for n e tips you can give.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:47 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,509 Posts
An E-Flite 480 with a 30-35 amp speed control would be the perfect combination of weight, power, and runtime. If you have to add weight in the front now, then an E-Flite Power .10 weighs slightly more than the 480 and has more power....so in that case, you would rather have the extra weight you might normally add turned into extra power.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2010, 06:25 AM
Romania
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
I did some mods on my C400. First of all I changed the stock motor. the initial 2836 900 kv was changed to a 3535 950 kv. With a new 3c pack 2500 25C the difference is clear (keeping the stock ESC 30A). Is definitely a lot more agile and a lot more powerful, with very nice steep vertical climbing and of course, safer and easier to hand launch.

Unfortunately the front wheel caused probs on landings therefore it should be fixed in a way, but I don't have a reasonable solution yet. Maybe some photos of your prior experience will help a lot, “unshackledbuzz”.

Another bad thing on the stock model is the control rods. They are too weak so I had to change them all.
Vooya is offline Find More Posts by Vooya