HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:46 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettOZ84 View Post
Well, I have had the plane sitting in its box sense about October of last year. Here are some pictures of the motor mount and firewall and motor itself.

I am pretty sure its the same setup as most everyone else has as far as a mount goes.
Hmm, the mount looks the same. Not sure if the gauge is the same... But the motor is different. This is what I had:
Name: Cessna400-4.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 62.1 KB
Description:
In any case, if your CG is what you say it is, it should be safe to fly.
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:59 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrockie View Post
Like many others, I found this thread too late and tried to fly the plane out of the box without checking CG or balance. Needless to say on takeoff it got about 10ft. off the ground, did a hard bank to the right and dove into the ground. The cowling just exploded into 4 different pieces and of course, busted the nose gear/firewall and prop.

Today I started the repairs and some of the mods suggested. I made a new firewall out of 3/16 ply and screwed nose gear housing onto that. Next, I moved the battery to the cockpit via pilot's door. Then I took the top off a gallon jug of gatorade for a temp. replacement for cowling, still have to paint it. Finally, even though it is very snug, I ran a zip tie through landing gear insert just to be safe.

I plan on changing the pushrods (what size wire should I use?) and switching servos to metal gear. The rudder/ nose gear servo would chatter when engaged so I just added another servo to seperate them and put them on a splitter. I still have to run my battery wire into the cockpit. I've read somewhere in one of these threads that the total length of the wire between the ESC and battery shouldn't exceed 8in. so I'm going to cut that down as well.

Almost forgot, the plane came from Nitroplanes which had the 3536 800KV motor.

Well I think I've covered everything, if I missed any mods feel free to chime in. Here are some progress pics for your enjoyment:
Looking good! I like your mods

I installed hinges on all my control surfaces. This way your servos don't have to work too hard - thus less current drain from your BEC. Also I changed the way elevator is controlled - both halves deflect together with one pushrod. The elevator servo is moved forward, next to the rudder servo.

Name: PICT4121.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 83.2 KB
Description:
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:35 AM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Thanks Visor, could you show more pics on your elevator setup with the one pushrod, also, I saw your pic where you used a block of foam as a motor mount (#191). Did you just glue that to the firewall? What size wire should I use to replace stock pushrods?
schrockie is offline Find More Posts by schrockie
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:35 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Visor, could you show more pics on your elevator setup with the one pushrod,
Here some pictures with comments:
Name: ELEVATOR HINGE.jpg
Views: 145
Size: 39.2 KB
Description: Both halves glued with epoxy to carbon fiber tube. Two cotter pins serve as a hinge. Pivot is in centre of tube.
Name: ELEVATOR.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 48.9 KB
Description: Carbon tube turns inside the tail section.
Name: PICT4332.jpg
Views: 98
Size: 46.9 KB
Description: Just another view of the tail section.
Name: RUDDER HINGE.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 78.6 KB
Description: 2 cotter pins and 2 pieces of carbon tube with locking pins allow the rudder swivel with no effort. Any other types of hinge can be used here.
Name: AILERON HINGE.jpg
Views: 110
Size: 59.8 KB
Description: The tricky part is not to get glue inside of hinge.
Name: PICT4348.jpg
Views: 125
Size: 52.6 KB
Description: Extended trailing edge makes the wing more streamlined.

Quote:
also, I saw your pic where you used a block of foam as a motor mount (#191). Did you just glue that to the firewall?
I glued that foam onto a piece of 1/8" ABS plastic. That plastic base I attached to the firewall. This way I can remove the motor mount any time for whatever reasons. Sometimes one motor mount can outlive several planes! (I went through more than one Supercub ) If you want this foam, I can send it to you for nothing, just send me a PM

Quote:
What size wire should I use to replace stock pushrods?
I used pushrods from my old ParkZone T-28 Trojan. They have some sort of tubing around them...
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:10 PM
Electric foamy flyer
Chandler, Arizona
Joined Apr 2010
306 Posts
Where did you get your light kit?
fly Frontier is offline Find More Posts by fly Frontier
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:55 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly Frontier View Post
Where did you get your light kit?
Just made it myself out of bits and pieces and some odds and ends

Electronics is one of my hobbies.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Landing light:

Name: landinglight.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 61.0 KB
Description: This is the landing/taxiing light

And this is the captured white strobe flash. It lights up the room pretty good

Name: whiteflash.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 56.6 KB
Description: This is the white strobe flash. Very bright wide angle LED.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:30 PM
Electric foamy flyer
Chandler, Arizona
Joined Apr 2010
306 Posts
What is powering it? Rx? seperate bat?
fly Frontier is offline Find More Posts by fly Frontier
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:39 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly Frontier View Post
What is powering it? Rx? seperate bat?
Flashing units are powered by RX, they need clean 5 volts for steady flashing. The actual lights are powered by the main battery - 3 cell LiPo.

The lights are bright enough to be captured by the camera in daylight.
Name: LIGHTS.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 50.0 KB
Description:
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:46 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Nice work Visor, your modeling skills are impeccable. Is that just extra foam you added to the trailing edge of the wing, how did you get added piece to flare on the end to match the existing wing (heat gun?)? I also noticed the added piece had a brighter sheen, was that just something you brushed on to help with the bonding of the two pieces?

I got my first plane Christmas '09 (Dynam "I Can Fly") and by now it's probably 50% glue. This is my second factory built plane. I'm still a beginner and tend to build a lot of foamies to save money(lots of crashing) until I know what I'm doing a little bit better. Do you think a 2-blade 12x6 will work with the 3536 800kv my plane came with. I tried doing CG at 1/3 LE to TE which put me around 65mm and its either nose heavy or tail heavy, can't get it to balance, tomorrow I'll try it at 70mm and if that don't work I'll just leave it nose heavy.

Once again, nice craftsmanship on your mods. I'll PM you my address for the foam.

Troy
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:07 AM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Nice work Visor, your modeling skills are impeccable. Is that just extra foam you added to the trailing edge of the wing, how did you get added piece to flare on the end to match the existing wing (heat gun?)? I also noticed the added piece had a brighter sheen, was that just something you brushed on to help with the bonding of the two pieces?

I got my first plane Christmas '09 (Dynam "I Can Fly") and by now it's probably 50% glue. This is my second factory built plane. I'm still a beginner and tend to build a lot of foamies to save money(lots of crashing) until I know what I'm doing a little bit better. Do you think a 2-blade 12x6 will work with the 3536 800kv my plane came with. I tried doing CG at 1/3 LE to TE which put me around 65mm and its either nose heavy or tail heavy, can't get it to balance, tomorrow I'll try it at 70mm and if that don't work I'll just leave it nose heavy.

Troy
I'll be quick - early rise tomorrow...
The edge is made out of balsa covered with something like Monocote (not sure of brand name). I had to make a special jig to bend balsa - first I had it in near boiling point water for at least 2 hours, then clamped in my jig to dry for two days or so... then cut it to fit, a bit of sanding, covered it with white film, glued it to the wing with CA and went over the joint with some Scotch tape. Now its a hybrid - half foamie and half balsa

I think 12X6 should work good for you, as long as you have ground clearance for your prop. Don't run it full throttle all the time. If nothing gets hot within few seconds at full throttle (motor/ESC/battery), you are good to go.

Quote:
Once again, nice craftsmanship on your mods.
Thank you!

Quote:
I'll PM you my address for the foam.

Do that. You will find many uses for it.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:53 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Nice work Visor, your modeling skills are impeccable.
I must say that your ingenuity and resourcefulness is impressive. You are pretty good yourself.

Quote:
I got my first plane Christmas '09 (Dynam "I Can Fly") and by now it's probably 50% glue. This is my second factory built plane. I'm still a beginner and tend to build a lot of foamies to save money(lots of crashing) until I know what I'm doing a little bit better.
My opinion of this plane (it's just me) - it is a nice looking plane, I love it and I am very nervous to fly it. Why? Because I invested so much time in modifying it, that I am scared to crash it. So I am taking it out only when the weather is perfect and I don't do any crazy stunts with it. I can't say I am a beginner, but I am not a "pro" either...

I can't even say yet if that is a good second plane or not - I have not had enough flights with it. So far it's been good to me.. knock knock on wood
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:15 AM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post
I must say that your ingenuity and resourcefulness is impressive. You are pretty good yourself.

Awwww, shucks!

My opinion of this plane (it's just me) - it is a nice looking plane, I love it and I am very nervous to fly it. Why? Because I invested so much time in modifying it, that I am scared to crash it. So I am taking it out only when the weather is perfect and I don't do any crazy stunts with it. I can't say I am a beginner, but I am not a "pro" either...

I can't even say yet if that is a good second plane or not - I have not had enough flights with it. So far it's been good to me.. knock knock on wood
I feel the same way. I should've gotten another highwing for training purposes, but like you said, I just love the way it looks.

You said you wanted to go bigger than the 3536 1100kv, have you found anything yet?
Last edited by schrockie; Mar 19, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:57 AM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
I feel the same way. I should've gotten another highwing for training purposes, but like you said, I just love the way it looks.

You said you wanted to go bigger than the 3536 1100kv, have you found anything yet?
I made a mistake when I was ordering my motor, I was going to order a 3542. 3536 is giving me enough power for just flying around, and I am going to keep it for now.

If you ever decide to get a good high winger - I would highly recommend the E-Flite Apprentice. It is designed just so right...
My favourite low winger - ParkZone T-28 Trojan. In fact I got Cessna 400 to replace my popcorned T-28... but I can't go crazy with it like I could with my Trojan... not yet anyway
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Visor, I want to order the 3536 1100kv and stay with the 2 blade prop, what size APC prop would you recommend(11x5.5E, 12x6E,??)?

Here some pics of my kids, 3 scratchbuilt, 2 epp foam and a SUMO scratchbuilt in the works. The Monster Tensor is the only one who hasn't been airborn. Can't seem to get the right motor, maybe after I get the 3536 I'll try the 800kv on it. Do you build any foamies?

Troy
Last edited by schrockie; Mar 19, 2011 at 03:39 PM.