SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:16 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor View Post
My plane is almost ready. Just a few minor things left to do. Here is what it looks like...
Oh my...
That navi-light system is brilliant!!! With those bright strobes flashing the plane appears even more scale... Is it a home-made light system or the one from HK? Cooooooooool
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Last edited by Pigeonflyer; Jan 04, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined May 2010
86 Posts
yeah +1 on those lights looks awesome man
ninjafishable is offline Find More Posts by ninjafishable
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:32 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it Those lights and flashers are home built. Landing light switch is a modified stripped HXT500.

Name: PICT4095.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 19.4 KB
Description: paired green LEDs Name: PICT4093.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 15.7 KB
Description: Paired red LEDs Name: PICT4100.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 37.3 KB
Description: Flasher component Name: PICT4111.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 45.3 KB
Description: Modified wing
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:37 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonflyer View Post
Oh my...
That navi-light system is brilliant!!! With those bright strobes flashing the plane appear even more scale...
I had to do that flashy lighting to divert attention of Scale Police from altered wing
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:49 PM
Joined May 2010
86 Posts
well i just ordered my 3642, and my esc... excited! did u fly it stock with out the modifed wings? wonder how much it will change flight characteristics
ninjafishable is offline Find More Posts by ninjafishable
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:55 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafishable View Post
well i just ordered my 3642, and my esc... excited! did u fly it stock with out the modifed wings? wonder how much it will change flight characteristics
Congrats on your order - you will be able to use that combo on many other planes too. Its a good size motor

No I have not tried my plane yet. I hope it will fly good. My main worry is not to worsen the tip stall tendency. This plane from what I saw on Youtubes does like to stall on one side.

I will definitely post the video, and share my experience of the flight...
Hopefully soon! We had the most awesome weather while I was working on the plane. But tonight we are suppose to have a big dump of snow
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
106 Posts
Quote:
Those lights and flashers are home built. Landing light switch is a modified stripped HXT500.
Still not sure if I get it right. You turn on the light system by switching on the landing gear channel on your transmitter which causes the HXT500 to make its 5V power supply available for your light circuit? Then you have the Philippino flasher circuit to provide intermittent signal for the strobes and the required resistance for each LED?
Or does the servo trigger only your landing light?
I have lights in my schratch-built An-2 Colt: that one has a circuit that monitors thrust level and switches on landing lights when thrust stick is anywhere between 50% and idle. All other lights are on as soon as power pack is connected to ESC. Strobe blinking rate options are programmable with throttle transmitter stick. The whole circuit is powered from one Lithium cell (used small cellphone battery).
Your system seems to be simpler and i might want something simmilar for the C-400 too, that's why I would like to know.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:58 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Still not sure if I get it right. You turn on the light system by switching on the landing gear channel on your transmitter which causes the HXT500 to make its 5V power supply available for your light circuit? Then you have the Philippino flasher circuit to provide intermittent signal for the strobes and the required resistance for each LED?
Or does the servo trigger only your landing light?
I have lights in my schratch-built An-2 Colt: that one has a circuit that monitors thrust level and switches on landing lights when thrust stick is anywhere between 50% and idle. All other lights are on as soon as power pack is connected to ESC. Strobe blinking rate options are programmable with throttle transmitter stick. The whole circuit is powered from one Lithium cell (used small cellphone battery).
Your system seems to be simpler and i might want something simmilar for the C-400 too, that's why I would like to know.
It is somewhat similar to your An-2 setup. As soon as you plug in the battery, all lights come on except for the landing one. The servo is triggering landing light, and it is also providing 5 volts for operating flashers. All LEDs are powered by main LiPo, they all have their own current limiting resistor.

What I did to the servo is took the circuit board out of the case, threw away the case along with the motor and gears. Adjusted the POT so it is in its mid travel. This way the servo is "stuck" in the middle. In this configuration when you activate your landing gear switch, you will get power (+5V) on one of the motor wires, and the ground on the other. You can take either one of the motor wires to activate your LED they both provide either power or ground depending on the Landing Gear Switch position. You can hook up a white LED straight to the motor wire (through a resistor of course), or you can use a transistor to trigger your light (this is how mine is hooked up). The landing gear switch will either turn your light ON or OFF. It is pretty simple to do.

The flashers are made with 3 ICs - two 4093 NAND gates and one 4029 counter.

4093 and 4029 are set to give a double flash. A capacitor and a couple of resistor provide the timing. Another 4093 keeps the single red tail LED flashing. It has its own capacitor and resistors for timing.

The circuits are quite simple as well, but I used surface mount ICs - they are very small to work with.

The total weight of all these circuits and wiring is about 20g.
Last edited by Visor; Jan 04, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:04 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Here is a simple way to fix landing gear:

Drill holes on a slight angle (its easier if you drill a small pilot hole first)
Name: PICT4124.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 76.5 KB
Description: Drill holes

Use a cable tie (tie-wrap)
Name: PICT4125.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 67.1 KB
Description: Cable tie fix

This is the battery relocation - it can be accessed through the hatch in the roof.
Name: PICT4127.jpg
Views: 165
Size: 77.2 KB
Description: Battery access hatch

The hatch is closed
Name: PICT4128.jpg
Views: 117
Size: 47.0 KB
Description: Battery hatch closed
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:07 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,437 Posts
VERY nice battery location mod!

With the much heavier 35-42 motor on mine it balances right at 70mm with a 2200mah 3s in the stock location.
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:23 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
This is the motor mount - foam, ABS plastic (as its base), plywood and hot glue. It is lighter than the metal one and it absorbs the vibrations. It also saves the motor during a vertical power dive into the pavent

I use it on all my planes
Name: PICT4113.jpg
Views: 155
Size: 49.8 KB
Description: Shock absorbing motor mount
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:25 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
VERY nice battery location mod!

With the much heavier 35-42 motor on mine it balances right at 70mm with a 2200mah 3s in the stock location.
Thanks!

My CG is at 70mm now. I may do some adjustments after the actual flight.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
106 Posts
Quote:
It is somewhat similar to your An-2 setup. As soon as you plug in the battery, all lights come on except for the landing one. The servo is triggering landing light, and it is also providing 5 volts for operating flashers. All LEDs are powered by main LiPo, they all have their own current limiting resistor.

What I did to the servo is took the circuit board out of the case, threw away the case along with the motor and gears. Adjusted the POT so it is in its mid travel. This way the servo is "stuck" in the middle. In this configuration when you activate your landing gear switch, you will get power (+5V) on one of the motor wires, and the ground on the other. You can take either one of the motor wires to activate your LED they both provide either power or ground depending on the Landing Gear Switch position. You can hook up a white LED straight to the motor wire (through a resistor of course), or you can use a transistor to trigger your light (this is how mine is hooked up). The landing gear switch will either turn your light ON or OFF. It is pretty simple to do.

The flashers are made with 3 ICs - two 4093 NAND gates and one 4029 counter.

4093 and 4029 are set to give a double flash. A capacitor and a couple of resistor provide the timing. Another 4093 keeps the single red tail LED flashing. It has its own capacitor and resistors for timing.

The circuits are quite simple as well, but I used surface mount ICs - they are very small to work with.

The total weight of all these circuits and wiring is about 20g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonflyer
Well, if not simpler , it DOES include a brilliant piece of innovation i.e using the servo as power and signal source for LED lighting system! Thanks for the idea.

Roof hatch. It looks so original! I feel inspired to move along with my Cessna before finishing any of the other ongoing projects. Not as if weather would be inspiring, or even just suitable, for flying I am not a winter man...
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:19 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Well, if not simpler , it DOES include a brilliant piece of innovation i.e using the servo as power and signal source for LED lighting system! Thanks for the idea.
No problemas! Ummmm... a broken servo can be used and for other things... like ummm..
Check this one out - it ALWAYS makes me smile every time I watch it

Rocket assisted takeoff (1 min 58 sec)

Quote:
Roof hatch. It looks so original! I feel inspired to move along with my Cessna before finishing any of the other ongoing projects. Not as if weather would be inspiring, or even just suitable, for flying I am not a winter man...
We are suppose to have sunny weekend... and if it is not too windy... we may see some maidening action very soon! I hope so
Last edited by Visor; Jan 05, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:32 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Yay! Today was the first flight

The video is not great, but you can see the takeoff and landing.

I had to trim ailerons a lot to compensate fot its left banking. Why is it banking so much I am not sure yet, but I will find out.

It could handle a bit more power, I am thinking of getting yet a bigger motor... Though this stock 3 bladed prop is not the best choice here. 3 blades look good, but they are not very efficient.

Overall - it took off, it flew, and it came down in one piece. Actualy it landed quite nicely. And as a bonus - the front gear survived the landing. Not too bad for today

Cessna 400 maiden flight (3 min 26 sec)