Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
What's the diff between the skytrainer 400 originally posted and this one?
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...rf-silver.html
That one does look cute indeed.
Apart from the external differences (colour, extra rear window, wing-mounted main gear, bulging windscreen, less pronounced winglet, etc.) it can be quite different in how it performs aloft. You won't now its weaknesses until you have tried it. Because for that price, this one, too, will sure have its own weak points. Price determines quality... But it is truly a beauty, and the in-flight pics are gorgeous.
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:25 PM
Joined May 2010
84 Posts
hey guys, wife just told me she ordered this plane for me for christmas! ill post some pics when i get it!
ninjafishable is offline Find More Posts by ninjafishable
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:07 PM
Joined May 2010
84 Posts
heres my brand new sky trainer. just finished assembly.

i only did a couple mods, just some reinforcing here and there and i read about the stock cg so i modded the battery bay. i cut out just the two little tabs (the 'roof') of the opening between the main electronics bay and the battery area. the battery fits really snug and can be adjusted for cg.

right now its at about 70 mm. i think i will maiden it at this.

im not too sure what i want to do about the front landing gear, i might just wait till it snaps then rebuild a whole new mount and maybe gear too.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:22 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Are you running the stock motor/prop?

Best of luck on the maiden!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:32 PM
Joined May 2010
84 Posts
yeah, ill be running stock. this is my biggest plane yet so i dont want to go too crazy with it yet

oh and thanks! might not be for a while, little too much snow on the ground up here.

i do have a couple 12 x 9 x 3 props, anyone know how much stock motor draws with stock prop?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:50 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
277 Posts
ninja
looks like a good battery mod you should have a great first flight with it. the only other thing i would recommend is to secure the rear landing gear so that it can't fall out during flight.

i will (if i get some time) check the watt and amp draw of the stock set up... i'm sure mine will vary a bit from yours because of my wrecks and i think you may have a diff motor... i got my plane from nitro and judging from the your pics you have cessna stickers which means you got yours from HK which i think has a slightly different motor. Are you able to tell what motor your running?

she's just as pretty if not better looking in the air! let us know how the maiden goes.
coinworker is online now Find More Posts by coinworker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:26 AM
Joined May 2010
84 Posts
yes your correct its from hobbyking. im at work now but when i get home ill check out the motor.

good thing u said that about the gear i never thought of that.

i also did some work this morning and set up all the flaps with some hxt 900's
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:18 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
We have good wives! I got mine for Christmas too, still working on improvements.

Thank you Coinworker for this thread, it is very helpful. I got this plane as replacement of my wrecked T-28 Trojan. It looks awesome! We'll see how it flies...

So far:
1) Installed C3536 1100 kV with my home-made motor mount. The total weight of motor/mount combination is about the same as the stock one. That will not help to solve CG issue however...

2) I cut an access hatch in the roof, the battery will go vertically right behind the seats. That will help with CG issue and it also makes accessing the battery way easier. That also allows to have shorter ESC power leads (which is good )

3) Rudder and elevator cut off, and reinstalled with free moving hinges. Now servoes don't have to push so hard to move the control surfaces. Less effort for servo - less current demand from your BEC.
Elevator modified so the two halves move together - they can be operated with just one rod.

4) The elevator servo taken out, and HXT 900 installed in wing compartment with longer push-rod. Moving servo forward will help with CG problem.

5) Tail assembly removed, cleaned up and re-glued back to the fuselage (crappy workmanship)

6) Super bright LED installed at the fin tip. Will make flasher for it later.

7) The rudder servo replaced with a stronger digital one from my T-28. The push-rod stiffened up by routing it straight through the foam.

8) Speed controller replaced with 30A E-Flight (from my crashed T-28)
While I was working on it I found out why my T-28 crashed... Long story short - bad connection occasionally fails

9) Balanced the prop.

Still some work left to do before maiden flight. For now I will leave the front gear as is, I'll wait till it breaks. I will try have someone to take video of the first flight. May have a good laugh out of it... or.. you never know!
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:29 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
I wish you guys the best of luck who are about to maiden on the stock motor.

I'm running a 35-42 1100kv upfront swinging a M/Airscrew 11x7x3 and she's no speed demon. This is a HEAVY plane and it needs quite a bit more power/weight up under the cowl in my opinion. Making the flaps function is very helpful on this bird in my opinion...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:58 PM
Joined May 2010
84 Posts
@ sammy

did u replace the esc as well? as i said in an earlier post i do have a 12x9x3 prop i could throw on. im not new to brushless but picking motors im still not 100% sure on.

another thing i read is u could switch out to a 2 blade for better performance. has any one tried this?

@ coinworker

oh and i still will check my motor i just didnt get a chance to run to the garage last night.. my little guy is sick with the flu
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafishable View Post

@ coinworker

oh and i still will check my motor i just didnt get a chance to run to the garage last night..
It should be 2836 900 kv "FMS Models" type, as for mine which is also from HK (see comment #148). Careful with that. Test-run it with full throttle for a minute or so and check both motor and ESC for heating. If everything is OK, you still might easily find that the thrust the motor delivers with the stock prop is insufficient.

Good luck for the maiden
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:11 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
yeah, ill be running stock. this is my biggest plane yet so i dont want to go too crazy with it yet

oh and thanks! might not be for a while, little too much snow on the ground up here.

i do have a couple 12 x 9 x 3 props, anyone know how much stock motor draws with stock prop?

Quote:

Just like Pigeonflyer suggested, put the prop on and do a test run. With a good fresh battery open your throttle wide for about 5 seconds, then stop the motor and check for overheating. For this you might wanna pull your ESC out of the plane. If everything is just slightly warm, give another burst for 10 seconds this time. If it gets too hot, this prop presents too much of a load for your motor/ESC.

Good luck
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:31 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Quote:
@ sammy

did u replace the esc as well? as i said in an earlier post i do have a 12x9x3 prop i could throw on. im not new to brushless but picking motors im still not 100% sure on.

Yes, I added a 40a esc with a switch mode BEC to handle all the servos.

Hope your little guy gets better SOON!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:05 PM
Joined May 2010
84 Posts
thanks!

i did check the motor, it is the 900 kv fms

i also did a wot with the 12x8x3, 3 20 second burst of full throtle was enough to get that motor pretty toasty. i could touch for like 3 seconds and had to let go. it looks ill be orderin the turnigy 1100 kv towerpro 40 amp combo most likely.

im headed up to the local hobby shop to pick up some skis on the weekend and maybe get a maiden in if im lucky

thanks again for the help guys!
Last edited by ninjafishable; Dec 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:12 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
By my calculations the wing loading of Cessna 400 is about 22 Oz/ft². Not exactly overloaded, but not a slow flier either.
As something to compare with - a Super Cub wing loading is roughly 13 Oz/ft²