HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:54 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Discussion
AirField RC Sky Trainer 400 from Nitroplanes

Any Tips, Tricks, Modifications, Opinions, Info or any other comments welcome.
I just received mine yesterday and thought it would be nice to have a place to talk about it with all the other owners. i will post a build review soon. so far all i can really say is that she looks good because i haven't flown her yet.
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:55 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Build and first flight review.

Alright guys i know you're out there, they've been selling like hot cakes so i know people care.
So for the build... it went well everything arrived in good shape except that the rudder was slightly bent out of shape at the top. while building i noticed that the cowl came with two screws but on one side it was missing the plastic washer that was need for the screw to tighten to. so i used a t-pin and some clear tape. The nose cone and prop assembly sat way to close to the cowl and when i first activated the motor it rubbed on the cowl melted some of the plastic and then the motor bound to a stop... i should have seen that it was going to be a problem. so i heated the cowl with a lighter and bent the cowl in a little to add some room. i feel like there should have been a nut to go on to the shaft to give it some more space but one was not included with the package. also i ordered the plane with out a tx and rx and found that the plane did not come with a y- harness for the ailerons, it isn't necessary to have with my dx6i but i added one anyway. All in all, once built it was a good looking plane.

Now for the first flight....
It didn't go so pretty. i have read that the plane is tail heavy and that the front landing gear is weak. This is very true. i got it in the air and it sounded funny (not that i know how it should sound) so i made a large circle and could tell that the plane was flying awful i trimmed the ailerons but the plane fluttered oddly which i immediately knew it was tail heavy. i need to come in for a landing before i crashed it so i brought it in with a landing i thought was pretty damn smooth for it's flight characteristics but landed in grass and heard a loud crack... the front landing gear broke, of course.

So, i fixed it up last night by adding some support and fixing the landing gear. Then i cut out some foam in the battery compartment so that the battery would slide much farther forward added some foam to lock the battery into place and called it good. this time i checked the recommended cg and now think it will fly a little better.

it's now raining here in Indiana so i haven't had a chance to fly again.

Seriously, let me know if you own this plane and what you think, or if you're thinking of buying one... ANYTHING

Is anyone out there??????

Ps. i'll post some pictures of my mods soon.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Oh and the motor had black tape covering the specs... so i pulled it off here they are:
it's a GC3536-kv800
Specification
No.of cells:2-4 LI-PO
RPM/V(KV): 800
Max.efficiency:85%
Max.efficiency current:25-30A
No load current:11.1V/1.5A
Current capacity:40A/20S
Internal Resistance:0.042 OHM
Dimensions(diameter.X length): Φ34.7X36 mm
Shaft diameter:Φ4.0mm
Weight with Adapters :132g
Last edited by coinworker; Jun 11, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:35 PM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
hello,

I also have this model... I do not post often because I speak French and it takes me some time to do it in English

This plane is in fact tail heavy, I experienced this at maiden flight... very difficult to give it enough speed. It was often willing to stall the wing. I crashed it against a big tree... Fortunately this Cessna is solid (thanks EPO). Just tail and elevator came off. I glued them all back and added weight inside the motor cover. I have a good CG to 80cm. from leading edge of the wing.

I'm ready for the second flight in better conditions because it is very difficult to fly plane with heavy tail.
Chriscool is offline Find More Posts by Chriscool
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:57 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,039 Posts
You write English better than the majority of us Americans!
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:43 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
i wish i was bilingual... i struggled through two years of Spanish class and still can't speak/understand Spanish.
i know how it feels to be waiting on a second flight... the weather here still is rainy and windy. i really can't wait to get it in the air to see how she fly's now that i changed the battery location.... i'll keep you guys posted. and let me know how your next flight goes chriscool.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:03 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Hey guys i did a video review check it out!

AirField RC Sky Trainer 400 Review (10 min 27 sec)
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:23 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Thank you guys

I'll keep you informed.
Chriscool is offline Find More Posts by Chriscool
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:22 AM
Joined Aug 2008
9 Posts
Coinworker
Thanks for the video, will use your tips in setting up my ARF I received yesterday.
Keep up the good work.
hac402 is offline Find More Posts by hac402
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hac402 View Post
Coinworker
Thanks for the video, will use your tips in setting up my ARF I received yesterday.
Keep up the good work.
let me know what you think of it after your maiden.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
some quick info on battery and flight length. Last night i flew with my 2200mah 20c 11.1v blue lipo from hobbypartz.com and i flew for 14mins, mostly wide open throttle flight but landed about five times and ran a couple touch and goes through the duration of the flight. when i recharged the battery i found i brought the voltage down to 3.68 in each cell, which is a little too low if i want to make my battery live a long life. ideal discharge from what i hear is to 3.75v each cell, which is about 20% power left. so i think for now on i will only be flying for about 10 min each flight on this battery.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:04 PM
Joined Aug 2008
9 Posts
Do you think it has enough power to hand launch, or would a change of prop help?
This is my first low wing plane and I fly from a grass field.
Thanks
hac402 is offline Find More Posts by hac402
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:43 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
i wouldn't recommend a hand launch for your first flight.just so you have time to set trim and make sure the cg is right. with a hand launch you may have to move quickly to figure out it's flight characteristic. i have heard of people saying they were going to change to a standard prop (not three blade) to get more power, but i haven't heard what size they think would work. if you have an idea on what other props could work i would love to hear them.
As for stock set up having enough power to hand launch... i might just be a wussy but i don't think i would try it because i really don't want to wreck this plane but i think it is possible with a good toss from someone who hand launches on a regular basis.
The problem with a low wing is it has to have enough air speed flowing over and under the wing to fly, and with a high wing the prop running gives a good amount of wind under the wing to begin with. As for a low wing the prop doesn't necessarily give a great amount of wind to the wings it just pulls it along fast enough to create the lift.
so all in all hand launching is much easier with a high wing plane.

Another option is to change the wheels on the landing gear (which i had to do for other reasons) to bigger tires. what i have on my plane now works great and they let it taxi through grass without a problem. i use rubber dubro tires but can't remember the size... i took them off an old nitro trainer.

hope this helps and let me know how it goes... hand launch or whatever
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:01 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
I had the plane for awhile. The motor couldnt get out of its own way....too slow. Replaced the motor and front end after a crash. Front landing gear is too stiff. Youll break the front end very quickly and will have to reinforce it with ply. After a faster motor and reinforced front end, I still hated the plane.. Keep this tip in mind. You want to land with a little speed and touch down on the mains first....if the front touches before or at the same time as the mains, youll be doing repair work.
On about my 30th flight, I had taken off and had it up about 100 feet. I did a half blender when 1 wing snapped. Plane dove in like a rocket. I was so happy to finally rid myself of this plane.
Turns out that after stressing the wings...it will eventually fail. Ive got an extra set of wings with lights installed with light covers and flaps installed with all 4 servos. Someone will surely need these....so save my name and PM me when you want them.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Turns out that after stressing the wings...it will eventually fail. Ive got an extra set of wings with lights installed with light covers and flaps installed with all 4 servos. Someone will surely need these....so save my name and PM me when you want them.
Do you have any pics of the wing with lights? also do you have any suggestions on how to reinforce the wing... where did the wing give in and break... could it have been overpowered after you changed motors... what motor and prop did you use?

sorry for all the questions i'm just curious. i understand the frustration with the front landing gear, i busted mine the first landing but all i used was some glue and two popsicle sticks and it's held up through some rough landings since then. i also replaced the wheels with dubro rubber wheels 2.25 and 2.50 size.

so far i only have been flying the plane conservatively because i don't want to ruin it's good looks but sooner or later i'll get brave and try some inverted and some death spirals.

Seriously i would love to see a pic of the light system on your wing... i may take it off your hands.