SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:20 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRC View Post
Just when I thought I had enough planes....
Ill see what the funds are like and to convince the missus!

Ive been hearing about 30minute flight times above somewhere, what are your tactics for this?
:P 30 mins is a sinch, trying to get an hour and 30 is where the hard part is. My flying wings raven will go for 45 mins on a 1300 mah 3s cell with the HXT 24gram 1500Kv "blue wonder" outrunner. A skywalker not too heavy laden and with some careful flying (not blasting around the sky at full chat) will give you an hour. It's all about energy management. Keep a good glide and low throttle and a few milliamps will go a long way.

CJ
Carlos230023 is online now Find More Posts by Carlos230023
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:38 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
I f you have the ez*1 a 7" prop will not fit without chopping a grove in the boom

I Have two flying ez1's and one in a box both the flying planes use 2200 in-runner from HK they just drop in and when you have busted the foam motor mount cut it off and slide in a piece of plastic card between the fuse shells below the mount position drill two holes through the fuse and the card slide through two cable ties and viola! you are good to go again.

Flypopa (my buddy) has recommended those very inexpensive motors from DEx I can vouch for them. I may be faster on a level run and make height a couple of seconds before him but his motor is lighter so his sink rate is less, a little bit of extra work to mount it but worth the effort ( lots of stuff on the ez* thread showing all manner of mounts)

Regards Jeff
Thanks for the info Jeff
Do those inrunners just slide in or so you also have to glue them in?

Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:14 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Guys,
If anyone wants to build a micro Quad - I have 4x 6A esc's and some nice 5g motors surplus to requirements, perfect for the RC Explorer design.

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:14 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Thanks for the info Jeff

Jim
You have to fix them in position or they will rotate a little. I fixed both of mine in with double sided tape as I closed the airframe together ( this is on a ez*1 remember) it has three spacing "bumps" in the nacelle to allow air circulation, just wrap one turn of mounting tape around the can leave clear as much of the surface area of the can as possible for better cooling

If you get a 2200KV in-runner from Hobby King or Giant Cod make sure you buy the one with the same diameter as the supplied brushed motor , as a lot of them look the same in their pretty pictures, easy mistake to make if you are just getting into this.

Regards Jeff
Upup is online now Find More Posts by Upup
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:25 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
I am going to go with this option as it seems to be the easiest without hacking my new plane to bits! Any particular brand of tape? Can it be bought in a shop?
Oh and thanks for the tips on motor diameter - it is easily forgotten!

Cheers
Jim
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
I'll take a few detailed snappys tonight and show you how the easy star 2 motor mount works.

CJ
Sweet! Thanks
Jim
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,342 Posts
Cheers for the advice CJ!
Since ive started flying ive not had any flights over around 8 minutes, suppose that does have to do with the 3/4- full throttle flying.
Will try the new flying if the weather holds up tomorrow! =]
DodgeRC is online now Find More Posts by DodgeRC
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:23 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quick tip

Flying into power lines at 60kmh with a twinstar quite literally "rips the wings off"
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRC View Post
Cheers for the advice CJ!
Since ive started flying ive not had any flights over around 8 minutes, suppose that does have to do with the 3/4- full throttle flying.
Will try the new flying if the weather holds up tomorrow! =]
Neither has CJ.. not lately anyway BOOM.
dallibab is offline Find More Posts by dallibab
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Flying into power lines at 60kmh with a twinstar quite literally "rips the wings off"
Got any pictures?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Thanks for the info Jeff

Jim
I put one of these in my easy star PPI-2837-2700 http://www.4-max.co.uk/ppi-2837.htm#2200

Not the cheapest but it kicked arse and my friend is still using it, I also used one of their 2600 mah 3s batteries and that is still going over a year later. i think with a 4x6 prop cant remember at the moment. Had to reinforce the wings as they would bend like hell pulling out of a dive.

Oh and I just ca glued mine in It is still in there.
dallibab is offline Find More Posts by dallibab
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallibab View Post
Neither has CJ.. not lately anyway BOOM.
Lol laugh it up. I was down last weekend with my little wing, having some good simple fun with my wing. Waiting on my dragonlink to come back ATM before I get properly started with the new e*2, though I have prepped the airframe and done the wiring loom ready for the new one.

Regarding the pics jim, I'll have to do it in the morning, forgot I was pulling the graveyard shift tonight, just driven up from MK to Leicester, about to set off to st Albans. I hate my job sometimes :P.

CJ
Carlos230023 is online now Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:59 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,312 Posts
Just got back from a family holiday in Swanage and managed to get a few flights in. The video of the crashes would have been a bit longer, I had a number of bad launches but took the epoxy with me of course

This is a octo-quad hybrid with two custom controllers on a frame I made myself using nitronium arms and Tibetan motors I commissioned using superconducting magnets*

FPV at Swanage Dorsetshire Coast UK (6 min 6 sec)

*actually it's my funjet and I forgot to take its canopy down to the beach but none of you lot would watch it otherwise
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:41 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,161 Posts
nice video and nice landing
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:53 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
Just got back from a family holiday in Swanage and managed to get a few flights in. The video of the crashes would have been a bit longer, I had a number of bad launches but took the epoxy with me of course

This is a octo-quad hybrid with two custom controllers on a frame I made myself using nitronium arms and Tibetan motors I commissioned using superconducting magnets*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjbIkNGtW3A

*actually it's my funjet and I forgot to take its canopy down to the beach but none of you lot would watch it otherwise

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite