HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/cata...ter-p-644.html

CJ, its a nobrainer.
Get the 3D printer and you'll be able to make a lot of the parts you need for the a CNC machine.

check out this website http://www.thingiverse.com/
It's a depository for free downloads of things people have designed and made.
theres a few printers that you can also make and buy the parts for it. although looking at some of the close up shots of some of the parts the quality dosent seen as good as what the UP knocks out. Whether is a setup thing - possibly, but with the UP if i draw a 3.2mm hole in a part a m3 screw fits it snugly. i'll send you a bit i've printed if you want for you to have a look over.
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Didcot, UK, OX11
Joined Sep 2003
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/cata...ter-p-644.html

CJ, its a nobrainer.
Get the 3D printer and you'll be able to make a lot of the parts you need for the a CNC machine. [...]
I doubt you can make a decent CNC from printed parts. Maybe you can make one that mills wood and plastic but not metals.

But if you have a good CNC you can add a printing head to it and have both!

-Angelos
Angelos is offline Find More Posts by Angelos
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
Didcot, UK, OX11
Joined Sep 2003
631 Posts
Have a look at this one too... http://www.a1-tech.co.uk/rapman3d.asp

-Angelos
Angelos is offline Find More Posts by Angelos
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highviz View Post
- You'll be catching it again soon

So after all the discussion about which multirotor configuration is best, I thought I would try them all at once:-

Enough redundancy here do you think?

Malcolm

PS - Got the hexa back in the air this evening. First time I have flown it in calm conditions since fitting the reflashed ESC's. - I like it
What the hell is that!!!! Is it a weapon or is it to tow the car?! =D
DodgeRC is offline Find More Posts by DodgeRC
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
I doubt you can make a decent CNC from printed parts. Maybe you can make one that mills wood and plastic but not metals.

But if you have a good CNC you can add a printing head to it and have both!

-Angelos
Now that i have one i think one could. - with careful design and the use of 'off the shelf' type parts.
Dont need to anyway - you've seen the machinery i've got
I think the 3dprinter gives one a bit more flexability which is why i said it was a nobrainer. take my example. i get one, see what sort of things can be made from it and design, build and fly a quadcopter. I would say that if CJ was to get a 3d printer he would discover how versitile it was and his need for a cnc mill would go out of the window as he could design his way out of it.
Last edited by StealthWorkx; Apr 11, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,756 Posts
Thanks for the links guys, I think I'm pretty sold on the UP 3D printer;
A: it works with a mac
B: the footprint is perfect for me
C: I love it's sturdy construction and it looks like a beefy version of the makerbot 3D printer

Tbh owen I thought you had the powder/glue/UV machines, but I prefer this thing. Looks like you could make some pretty cool stuff (namely, vac moulds for resin infusion of precise compound curved parts, amoung other things). Gotta save my penny's now, I had 800 set aside for a CNC so I'm half way there :P.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3,756 Posts
It's defo one or the other for me Owen, partly funding, but mostly table space is at a premium in my humble workshop with the advent of my paint gear and more importantly my vac resin infusion gear and the moulds that go with it.

CJ
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:21 PM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
wow for about 950-1000 the 3D printer, thats a nice bit of kit! anyone made airframes other than quads etc?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
It was a bit of an impulse buy for me. you might laugh at that but it was. i was getting a gps from cool components and just browsing their site and came across the UP, i pretty much knew straight away that i wanted one. the clincher was the fact that the solid modeling package i use - solid works - can export a .stl file which is what the UP printer driver reads. (you can also use google sketchup and install a plugin to do the same thing).
Although i was pretty sold on it, i emailed them and asked if i could come and have a look at one working, and the next day i went to their shop and he made a part that i took up on a memory stick right there for me.
needless to say it does have it's limitations - every manhine does. But once you understand these and 'design your way aroung them, you'll be away.
i wrote earlier - i wonder how the multicopter scene will go in the next 2 years.
it's not really the same thing but i'm sure 3d printers will become more popular. i doubt you'll be able to get them in Argos but they'll be more coming onto the market soon i'm sure.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:35 PM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
Good impulse buy!

Are you taking any commissioned work? Such as if I had a camera bracket, servo trays etc that were specific to my model?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:45 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,233 Posts
Quote:
you can have any colour as long as its black lol

and blue, red, white, yellow. the yellow is frickin awesome its dayglo at dusk it's when the sun has set for about 15mins or so it GLOWS!!
oh and green but not tried that yet.
Nice to know but I'm hoping not to see it whilst in flight.
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:40 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,040 Posts
Quote:
It was your quad at the indoor meets that inspired me. and when you wrote the specs of it up on the forum, i bought the same motors. But yeah i designed up a frame, printed one out, changed it here and there. - it took a few goes of doing this to get the strength right and you gotta remember at the time i had only had my 3d printer for a week or so, so 1/2 of it was working out how to make things on it. But yeah it works pretty well.
today was the first time that i flew it with the gopro and now it just seems a bit heavy. previously i've flown it with the KX181, so i'm adding about 90g when the gopro's on there instead. With the kx181 i'm getting 15min flight times and it's lighter than my funjet. fricking crazy

The first 3 pics are of what i was flying in that vid It's a bit messy as i've changed the configuration about a few times. the next 2 are on more parts i've made. i went a bit crazy whilst it was raining over the weekend the one with the motor and prop on the arm shown my next build and things are looking a bit more refined and neater.

Your probably right - although as mentioned above it flying heavy so don't know how this would effect things, and exactly the reason why i left the music off
All looking very cool Owen!
We just need someone to be able to print off motors and esc's and come to think of it some 50 notes

Printing is the way forward, the technology spurs new idea's and designs.
flylite is online now Find More Posts by flylite
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:48 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,756 Posts
Printing is also much less wasteful (as you only use what you need) I doubt it'll be long before hobby sized metal printers are firing and arranging steel or ally particles onto the print area with a nano lathe or some such .

CJ
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:45 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRC View Post
wow for about 950-1000 the 3D printer, thats a nice bit of kit! anyone made airframes other than quads etc?
The worlds first printed plane and it's British ( so now we will give the know how to the USA)

Is this how the Star Trek replicater started

http://www.newscientist.com/video/10...ted-plane.html

Regards Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:43 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRC View Post
Also anyone know of good small plane for FPV?
You could do a lot worse than the Skywalker Sirius I love mine it's so convenient to transport and easy to fly.

http://www.bevrc.com/sirius-the-best...ers-p-281.html

Skywalker Sirius second flight from a chase boat (7 min 37 sec)

Col.
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol