HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Great find rcmonster for the airbus. Daz as always fantastic vid, can't wait to take the heli up along side the hexi.
Liam
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
Hey Malcom... second half of that vid is strangely compelling, almost like a story. Can't explain but like v much!

Well after many many months of no building another night of evil scheming and wierd ideas... the X8 is progressing very nicely. With a bit of trimming the funjet ultra WINGS are a straight swap for the X8 winLETS Pleanty of rudder/ elevator if shes sideways lol

Wings almost finished, nice sturdy airframe now. Also will be making the now VERY strong canopy into a launch cradle for 'other craft'.

All this assumes that it will fly and that my mouse trap launch dolly idea works well....

Too much glue sniffed again methinks,
Nite folks

Paul
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:04 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Nice video Malcolm, excellent results from your quad and mount! Is that a DJi controller I saw in a shadow?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:10 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Nice video too Butty! Great shot with the bird!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:16 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
I'd put them on a self resetting power lead, have all the sockets run off a box that needs a reset switch pushing every hour to keep the power on, else it locks out.

CJ
CJ Have you a link to such an item? would be useful for things like the glue gun etc.
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:19 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highviz View Post
Here's another recent video from my Hexa. - No Kites in this one though - the wildlife in it is a bit easier to follow

- Just working out how to get smooth flight and shots from this platform.

http://vimeo.com/40110040

Good news is that my spare tail booms turned up today, so I can get the hexa back in the air and resume testing.......

Malcolm
Malcom, do you find there much difference in flying your Hexa to your quad?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:00 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
CJ Have you a link to such an item? would be useful for things like the glue gun etc.
Unfortunately not. The only one I've ever seen was in my GCSE wood shop class. I guess as a simple measure you might find a digital socket timer (like the mechanical ones but programmable) as I've had one that let you boost it for an hour similar to a central heating timer. So you could have it set to never run and just boost it when you wanted it (that or get a cheap single channel heating timer and wire it up to a relay :P). Perhaps angelos could knock something up for you. It would just need to be a simple clock that would reset to an hour when a big green button is hit and switch off a relay when it gets to 00:00.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,079 Posts
A quick search on RS turned this timer up:-
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-i...tches/3012208/
highviz is offline Find More Posts by highviz
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:38 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,659 Posts
Top man! I think it's a similar brand to the one I saw many moons ago. I'm gonna order one so I don't knacker my (rediculiously overpriced) soldering station.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:40 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,079 Posts
TGUK
Quote:
Is that a DJi controller I saw in a shadow?
- Yes, you must have good eyes! - It's a Naza on the hexacopter.

Paul
Quote:
All this assumes that it will fly and that my mouse trap launch dolly idea works well....
Quite a beast you are constructing there! If your launch ideas don't work out, you are welcome to try the system I built for getting the vulturecam airborne. If it can get a fully loaded 2.6m bird in the air at 6000ft altitude, I'm sure it will be ok for you.

Stealthworks
Quote:
Malcom, do you find there much difference in flying your Hexa to your quad?
Well the hexa won't fit through such small gaps as the quad, but I keep trying I think the differences in flying are mostly in my head, as the hexa is carrying more expensive gear and the quad does bounce quite well without getting damaged. They have different controllers, (Naza in hexa and CC in quad) so it is difficult to assess how much is airframe and how much is controller. If I had time I would swap electronics to find out, but not sure if I'll get around to it. I do want to put some reflashed ESC's in the quad to see how that changes things though..
highviz is offline Find More Posts by highviz
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:02 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
Top man! I think it's a similar brand to the one I saw many moons ago. I'm gonna order one so I don't knacker my (rediculiously overpriced) soldering station.

CJ
me too Thanks Malc
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:09 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:

Stealthworks Well the hexa won't fit through such small gaps as the quad, but I keep trying I think the differences in flying are mostly in my head, as the hexa is carrying more expensive gear and the quad does bounce quite well without getting damaged. They have different controllers, (Naza in hexa and CC in quad) so it is difficult to assess how much is airframe and how much is controller. If I had time I would swap electronics to find out, but not sure if I'll get around to it. I do want to put some reflashed ESC's in the quad to see how that changes things though..
Interesting - What ESC's are you reflashing and how are you doing that? apologies if you've already mentioned this on this thread.

I heard Mudlark say that once you've flown a hex you'll not want to go gack to a quad. I guess my question was in the stability of it. Do you think the hex is more stable - as it has more points of control, and thus would a Oct be even more stable?....
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:16 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
Interesting - What ESC's are you reflashing and how are you doing that? apologies if you've already mentioned this on this thread.

I heard Mudlark say that once you've flown a hex you'll not want to go gack to a quad. I guess my question was in the stability of it. Do you think the hex is more stable - as it has more points of control, and thus would a Oct be even more stable?....
Check this thread out, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

Re-flashed normally with Simon-k firmware, gives much smother and higher khz response time, I've just brought 6 all ready pre-flashed for my Hexa, not tried them yet..
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:19 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
TGUK - Yes, you must have good eyes! - It's a Naza on the hexacopter.
It was a guess as I thought I saw a mast for the GPS and thought it was a WK-M and not the Naza
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:04 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Check this thread out, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

Re-flashed normally with Simon-k firmware, gives much smother and higher khz response time, I've just brought 6 all ready pre-flashed for my Hexa, not tried them yet..
Looks a very informative thread, and amazing to think that it's possible to reflash the firmware.

Multicopters have certainly taken off since the days of the RC Explorer Tricopter with aeroplane gyros.
Anyone want to predict forward 2 years as to how things will go?