HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:13 AM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,376 Posts
No photoshop it was blue for a bit but cold. yep soz crezzee if i had knows you where around there would have let you know your 2:30 hour drive from me lol. I think we bumped into one of your buddys the turned up with a easystar and had a quick fpv maiden using our goggles think he will have got the bug seemed to really enjoy it. its a great area to fly if you can launch your wing with out breaking it just ask your mate im the one that cant thow lol at least i have the quad with me. next time im going to get some ridge busting in
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Last edited by fpvnick; Feb 20, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:49 AM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,376 Posts
just got back from a trip in a light aircraft and flew over most of the areas I fly from gives you a bit more of a pilots perspective on what we do and relativity how crap the view you get out of a camera and through goggles is in terms of spotting other air traffic had a good look at the charts and its surprising how much of the south of the country is in restricted airspace (most of where i fly is in or close to restricted airspace) the radio chatter was very interesting to hear and we had a close fly past from a sea king helicopter when down by the coast that air traffic control warned us about. I may get a radio that I can tune in to local towers with and listen to them when im in the air could be interesting and something I feel could be good in the future if you could have 2 way conversation with airtraffic control and have a beacon on the plane that would highlight its altitude and location to airtraffic control like thr real palnes do. I think something like this will have to be incorporated in the future to enable this side of the hobby to progress and especially if things like drowns become more common used by police and other professional activities. Obviously we are not supposed to fly to altitudes where we would be with real air traffic but we all know this is not the case in real life. If we had set locations to fly from like the glider guys do the real aircraft would know where to expect us we flew close to lasham airfield and saw a glider there our pilot was on the look out for them.

Its interesting how your perspective changes when the boots on the other foot!

Discuss … lol
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:35 AM
Dirty Dozen FPV
United Kingdom, Diss
Joined Aug 2011
2,374 Posts
Don't full size planes go through crash testing for bird strike? There are some pretty big birds that have a mass of about the same as what most FPV rigs are. Losing our RC planes would be a shame but I doubt they would cause more than cosmetic damage to a full size aircraft. I would think crashing in populated area would be a much bigger risk to life/injury/property than a mid air collision.

Only a licensed pilot would be able to answer really I suppose.
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:49 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,542 Posts
I'll let you know in a few months :P. getting my nppl.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Leicester
Joined Feb 2009
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
Don't full size planes go through crash testing for bird strike? There are some pretty big birds that have a mass of about the same as what most FPV rigs are. Losing our RC planes would be a shame but I doubt they would cause more than cosmetic damage to a full size aircraft. I would think crashing in populated area would be a much bigger risk to life/injury/property than a mid air collision.

Only a licensed pilot would be able to answer really I suppose.
hmmm, I think you need to exercise caution when going down this route. A bird strike to the windsheild of a light aircraft can cause a very serious incident indeed.
tesco is offline Find More Posts by tesco
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,872 Posts
here is a bird strike on a light aircraft

this is only flesh and bones.... so out foam is not that hard to smash but the worry as far as I am concerned is the lipos that will probably burst with a giant spark...not good near a fuel tank as it is the case in this plane...

I am not spreading doom and gloom here. but sh*t can happen real fast and we have a responsibility to be aware of the dangers.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,932 Posts
the momentum of an object is proportional to the square of its speed, so even a little motor on the front of a plane hit at 150mph could, I'm sure, easily break a windscreen. A little metal motor is a lot more dense than a light-boned feathery bird too.

first one to find out gets FPV banned
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
Dirty Dozen FPV
United Kingdom, Diss
Joined Aug 2011
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesco View Post
hmmm, I think you need to exercise caution when going down this route. A bird strike to the windsheild of a light aircraft can cause a very serious incident indeed.
I'm not suggesting we put our RC planes in harms way, I was more asking if there was any genuine risk to full size aircraft and their occupants. I've had a house brick hit my van windscreen and although it smashed, it didn't penetrate into the van and I could see enough through to safely stop. I'm surprised if aircraft have lower safety standards than cars being as they are potentially more dangerous. But I'm only making an uneducated assumption and stand to be corrected.
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:39 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,006 Posts
Today, I was mainly flying a quad...
Well 30 mins this morning, got some nice shots of the park, might do a quick edit and post it.
Learnt that coming down fast in ones own prop wash isn't very clever

FPV gear going on tomorrow, quad bug has bit!

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,932 Posts
slobber drool gawp etc
me wantee
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
Didcot, UK, OX11
Joined Sep 2003
630 Posts
You know, this does not glue as easy as the fun jet.
Angelos is online now Find More Posts by Angelos
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
But its shiny and looks like it could be rapid!
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
ha ha yes I think it'd probably last me 2 flights but they would be AWESOME flights
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,542 Posts
And it's cheaper than the X8. + they can't forget to install the left wing spar on that one :P

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:33 PM
Happy Days
United States, WA, Mason County
Joined Mar 2001
3,889 Posts
had a bit of time on my hands so made the Naza Spider. Ready for testing tomorrow... weather permittimg
mudlark is online now Find More Posts by mudlark