HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:05 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,668 Posts
yay she flies you know you can get a clear shot with the gopro if you mount it in the case right at the front of the tabbed section, also the bottom plate of the tabbed section has a hole drilled for the gopro 'tripod' mount too. Props havent been balanced so I would get them as close as you can or even try the much tougher and smoother graupner 10x5s

dont forget to let it acclimatise to the outside cold if you have just took it out of the house and let it sit for 6 seconds after power up for gyros to sort them selves out

I personally havent flown much with a KK but i found if it started drifting in flight I just trimmed it out (instead of powering off/on)

you need to get it out to a field your backyard looks very busy!
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:19 PM
um, yea, I can make that crash
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,576 Posts
Right. I have a pass for another trip down to the Twickenham indoor meet.

Who wants a lift down from MK?

CJ? What do you think?
Unialfred? Bring that quad along. I could go past yours on the way.

Who else is local?
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post

CJ? What do you think?

Who else is local?
me but Have other plans ; besides me an my tricopter in an enclosed space...this is asking for trouble
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Last edited by rcmonster99; Feb 02, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,406 Posts
Hi Guys.

Now at one time I had intended having a go at FPV, even got the video goggles, (Vuzix iWear AV920). But then I watched a few of my own AP videos on them, and realized there was no way I could fly using them and stand up, or even not be 'air sick'.
I should have realized earlier, as I couldn't stand even going on a swing when I was a kid without feeling dizzy.
So it looks like I'll stick with a video camera and an 'eyeball' to watch the plane.

Shame, it means my video goggles rarely get used.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:16 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Hi Guys.

Now at one time I had intended having a go at FPV, even got the video goggles, (Vuzix iWear AV920). But then I watched a few of my own AP videos on them, and realized there was no way I could fly using them and stand up, or even not be 'air sick'.
I should have realized earlier, as I couldn't stand even going on a swing when I was a kid without feeling dizzy.
So it looks like I'll stick with a video camera and an 'eyeball' to watch the plane.

Shame, it means my video goggles rarely get used.
If you have this issue (many do!) may I suggest that you use a TV screen in stead, with an enclosed video system your eyes do not have any non moving focal image which usualy ends up with degraded ballance and in your case motion sickness (even though your not moving ) .
If you use a TV screen your eyes are not blinkered and can relate to the non moving areas around the screen thus should not give you motion sickness. Its well worth a try and easy to do even in the summer given thorght to blackouts around the screen.
Stating all of this, you should try and fly just a few times (with a buddy just in case you fall over/throw up) with the goggles as you may find that your body gets used to the feelings due to you controlling the movement of the plane and there for manipulating the video. The brain has a clever way to link hand eye coordination and you may find that very quickly you dont feel dizzy at all.

I take people out and teach them to fly on a regular basis, less so with FPV but most have this inicial problem, soon as they can control the videos movment they settle in well.

Just my threepenny bit/2c
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:17 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,735 Posts
When is the meet?

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:19 PM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:

CJ? What do you think?

Who else is local?
Nice one, don't forget to tell the mrs it runs until 11pm
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:25 PM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
When is the meet?

CJ
Saturday - 6pm to 9pm iirc (11pm if you need a evening pass from her indoors).
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:56 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,735 Posts
Bugger, ill have to wait till next time, I drew the short straw and am working this weekend. Lame. Still, theres a firmware update for the overfly I've yet to install and tune, that and I haven't even had a chance to try out my new props with the adapters I got yet. Who knew a baby could be so much work .

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Quote:

CJ? What do you think?

Who else is local?
Yeah sounds great. ill stick my fpv gear on it too.
and Ben how did you mount your gopro on the front?
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unialfred View Post
Yeah sounds great. ill stick my fpv gear on it too.
and Ben how did you mount your gopro on the front?
Cool. PM me your address.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,576 Posts
I'm about ready to glue the fuselage together, I've taken a quick pic of the rough placement of gear for you lot to give me the all clear.

Gear includes motor and ESC in the proper places. A 5A UBEC to power it all. Rx and satalite (won't be using the pictured 8ch, waiting on a 6ch and longer lead to get the satalite right up in the nose). The wire harnes already has an extra 12V plug for ether FPV gear or LEDs later on. I might stick in a telemetry module too until I get FPV'd and OSD'd.

The second pic is of where I'll add a VTx later, if it's a good spot according to the masses i'll bore a hole through now to allow wires through later. I've laid a servo lead where I propose to make the hole through.

What say you?
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:56 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,183 Posts
Had a fly of the micro quad in the garden this afternoon just to make sure it was fine for Saturday.

Was flying real great until I had a three foot crash onto a slab.

Bugger, the arm snapped right at the motor mount. Fixable but I then had a thought. This is going to happen every time it hits the ground.
What's the point. It has to go.
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:59 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,183 Posts
So I transferred it to my new frame made from Fiber glass.

Testing tomorrow. A bit heavier at 260g on a 2s 850 pack but better motors.
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:29 PM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
I'm about ready to glue the fuselage together, I've taken a quick pic of the rough placement of gear for you lot to give me the all clear.

Gear includes motor and ESC in the proper places. A 5A UBEC to power it all. Rx and satalite (won't be using the pictured 8ch, waiting on a 6ch and longer lead to get the satalite right up in the nose). The wire harnes already has an extra 12V plug for ether FPV gear or LEDs later on. I might stick in a telemetry module too until I get FPV'd and OSD'd.

The second pic is of where I'll add a VTx later, if it's a good spot according to the masses i'll bore a hole through now to allow wires through later. I've laid a servo lead where I propose to make the hole through.

What say you?
Personaly, I would make sure all was out of the main front bay except the battery, put the ubec back further, you want as much space up front as you can. You will want to put an OSD and maybe a 2nd battery for Vtx and cam at some stage in there. Also as someone has already suggested, many people have used tape to fix the two halves together instead of glueing it. Another good way to do this is to use double sided tape in addition to the exterior taping. I did this initialy with my E* setup and I'm glad I did as I wet back and modded mine a good few times. Its now how I want it and glued up.
I'm no expert but I know space is key, you always end up needing more!