HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,270 Posts
On the subject of headplays.

After the fantastic fix by Angelos I decided to get the long awaited red protector case.
Lovely bit of kit which is to stop the doggy plugs from falling out.

Well I connected it up and tested all's good.

Went to fly on Saturday and the damned things didn't work. Luckily I had some old cinemizers kicking arround to use instead

Anyway got them home and tested. Sure enough the plug was still pulling out even though I had taped them in as an O ring was crap.

That was it I had one solution left to do that would make sure the things always worked and the fixed worked well.
It involved one and a half sticks of hot glue. Now all plugs are secure and should not fail.

Great set of goggles but the worst plugs in the world.
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
United Kingdom, Bournemouth
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Im a bit of a newb with FPV and just need an RTR kit to start out with, would this kit be any good? Click me

The plane im flying is the FMS cessna 400 but i will get a dedicated FPV plane from hobbyking if its really needed

Thanks
Stickybomb is offline Find More Posts by Stickybomb
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
should get you started with minimal amounts of hassle and will be easy to add osd and better antennas once you start getting the hang of it. 380 TV line camera is not that good a res but will to to get you in the air. Most people use 540 or 600 tvl or even 690. Shipping is fast from Simon and he will be happy to help if you have any questions.
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,772 Posts
Quick word of advice on the fat sharks, it may well mean nothing to you now but it'll save you replacing them in the future, don't use a closed loop antenna like a clover leaf or SPW antenna on them, log that nugget of info away for future reference and your away! Oh and don't buy fat sharks if you wear glasses, they just don't work with them.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
I have to wear glasses for long range vision (anything past 15 meters is unreadable at size 72 font on paper), will i need these for FPV or will i be fine without?

Im not going to drop 400 odd quid just for it to be useless
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Hi Stickybomb welcome to the group. Yeah Simon from Firstpersionview will ship fast.
in my opinion its worth going with the best camera that you can afford. It's you eyes up there and as nick says, it has low res, it will make the experiance not a enjoyable at it could be. But true it will get you in the air.

Nick, just saw your church vid. Very good
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
I have to wear glasses for long range vision (anything past 15 meters is unreadable at size 72 font on paper), will i need these for FPV or will i be fine without?

Im not going to drop 400 odd quid just for it to be useless
get these then http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/vid...cinemizer-plus
you can adjust the focus or as it says in the spec...

Quote:
Diopter adjustment:
+3.5D to 3.5D, each eye separately and continuously adjustable.

and the price starts going up....
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3,772 Posts
What's your prescription? They do snap in lenses for these goggles to suit a select few, if not I'd go with a pair of cinimizers, you can change the prescription on them up to +-235 diops which would cover most people. And you can wear them with glasses. If you have contacts, disregard my advice :P

CJ
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
and the price starts going up....
Oh the price we pay to pretend to be pilots

I think ill go with those carl zeiss goggles then if they have the adjustable lenses
in them.
Also before i nod off (this is a little off topic) what is a strong diameter control rod for my plane? (fms cessna 400)
The stock ones seem to just bend all over the place making the control surfaces less effective than they should be
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:23 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
im sorry i'm no familiar with that plane but some sort of carbon tube epoxied at each end should sort it out.
http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Cate...rbon-Tube.aspx
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,772 Posts
That or some piano wire of sturdier gauge would help. Pop to a local hobby/ hardware store and get some stockier stuff. Whereabouts do you live?

CJ
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Chelmsford
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
How about getting contact lenses? Get a prescription sorted then order online, about 20/month and you can just order them when you want. I find them to be much clearer than glasses, started wearing them and haven't gone back!
alexthecheese is offline Find More Posts by alexthecheese
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:59 AM
Gnd/Heli Interface Tester
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
Quick word of advice on the fat sharks, it may well mean nothing to you now but it'll save you replacing them in the future, don't use a closed loop antenna like a clover leaf or SPW antenna on them, log that nugget of info away for future reference and your away!
CJ
Why ?

I use a SPW and have no issue todate. I looked inside the RX and there is no bias resister to remove? These were bought around November from HK. They have been good to start with but I am now moving on to a dual diversity RX. I'll still be using the goggles of course.
jiberjaber is offline Find More Posts by jiberjaber
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,772 Posts
Perhaps they removed the amp circuit. I don't own a pair. I just remember seeing a thread filled with people that had damaged fatsharks due to this very circuit. If their alright with then then disregard my comment :P.

CJ
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:32 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthecheese View Post
How about getting contact lenses? Get a prescription sorted then order online, about 20/month and you can just order them when you want. I find them to be much clearer than glasses, started wearing them and haven't gone back!
+ 1 on this . I wear contact lenses too and I hate wearing glasses now. on top of that my prescription has stayed the same for years instead of deteriorating.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99