HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:52 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,188 Posts
Hi Jeff,

- Yes, the same style of construction as yours. In fact it was one of your posts that put the idea in my mind. Have built with cardboard before, but not correx. The correx came from Jewsons and was 3.99 + VAT for an 8x4 sheet.
-enough for two models this size.

Basic wing planform is based on the 'Fluteboy', but I did add some partial ribs to help define the wing section a bit more. Spar tapers from 30mm deep at the root to 15mm at the tips. Fuselage was cut from the packing foam using a scroll saw, then clad in correx, so should be pretty resilient. Spars and ribs are paper faced foam, recycled from an old exhibition stand. (Like depron, but a bit denser)

Flying weight with a 3000mAh 3S lipo and the micro fpv gear is 925g. The extended fuselage lets me move the flight pack forward, so no nose weight needed. If I get around to fitting the Gopro, I'll have to slide the pack back a bit.

P.S - Don't worry about me raiding your skips - my whole house resembles a skip
highviz is offline Find More Posts by highviz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:56 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,957 Posts
Just looked on jewsons site cant find it .....what are they listing it as???

I have built a few "wings" and if using a "folded" construction so far the bigger the better
The wing loading keeps going down nicely I have a 8x4 translucent correx sitting outside waiting to be used for a pumped up FPV zephyr copy, watch this space.

I tried a "long nose on one of my other correx wings ( KF foil) flew nice but I could not get it stiff enough as a single sheet the step was not enough to keep it from twisting @ 72" and it broke its back it a turn.
I am also thinking about a "big" mugi my old 28 " one was a bit heavy for the motor in correx, got to fold and build big IMO

Are you having any problems LOS with the colour I build a 48" foam KF wing sprayed it black and my poor eyes could not make out if it was coming or going at 150 yards had to put flouro strips on it but as its a fpv ship it will be ok, best get it camera'ed up

Regards Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:37 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,188 Posts
I could not find it on the Jewson's web site either, but dropped in to my local branch who although they did not have it in stock, pointed me to the Basingstoke depot, where they had loads of it. (Sold for floor protection)

Travis Perkins had it in stock too (under a different brand name) - but they wanted about 6.50 +VAT per sheet.

I'm trying to keep this one stealthy - hence the quiet motor and colour scheme. I had no problem seeing the model to fly it on the test flight, but did fail to see the tree I clipped until too late. Seems a bit extreme to have to decorate all the local trees with fluoro tape though
highviz is offline Find More Posts by highviz
Last edited by highviz; Nov 07, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:01 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highviz View Post
I could not find it on the Jewson's web site either, but dropped in to my local branch who although they did not have it in stock, pointed me to the Basingstoke depot, where they had loads of it. (Sold for floor protection)

Travis Perkins had it in stock too (under a different brand name) - but they wanted about 6.50 +VAT per sheet.

I'm trying to keep this one stealthy - hence the quiet motor and colour scheme. I had no problem seeing the model to fly it on the test flight, but did fail to see the tree I clipped until too late. Seems a bit extreme to have to decorate all the local trees with fluoro tape though
Dont know how old your eyes are but I will bet that tree problem was partly caused by the dark colour of the wing.
I find I can lose orientation really quick with dark models particularly if the light is going.
I have taped up my correx 60" wing bright yellow ( packing tape) to help my spotter, shame it has been windy here in essex as it now has it's camera fitted and I am dying to give it a test run, think I may see how to stuff some LEDs in it.

These correx wings are so easy to modify or put gear in dont you think?

BTW my sheet of translucent 2mm correx was 2.99 + vat from Wicks

Regards Jeff
Last edited by Upup; Nov 07, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:38 PM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
I took a delivery of 400 of correx floor protection today on site could make a lot of wings out of this lot
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:36 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
I took a delivery of 400 of correx floor protection today on site could make a lot of wings out of this lot

Certainly will not miss a sheet ?
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:10 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Hi All

I know you may think this is a funny question (me being the funjet king n'all lol), but i wonder what a good motor would be for a 4s setup. I'd like a 'can' style motor as this pushes the prop aft a bit and makes it a bit quieter.
Thanks for any help
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:11 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Thats no good it's all bent
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:14 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unialfred View Post
rc monster shame about the song. not that i dont like it but everytime i hear it i think of this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9h9v0ikwzY
what the heck was that
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:50 PM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
Certainly will not miss a sheet ?
400 squair meters of the stuff to cover 400 meters of Viynl flooring lol
I think I would get some funny looks trying to get a sheet on the bus and then the train home.

Owen I'd like to know about a good can motor for 4s too I have an inrunner but as you say it is noise and dose not seem to be that efitiant also it is very heavy I had to put my 4s right at the front to get c of g
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:55 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Might be easier to make one
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:54 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
I know you may think this is a funny question (me being the funjet king n'all lol), but i wonder what a good motor would be for a 4s setup. I'd like a 'can' style motor as this pushes the prop aft a bit and makes it a bit quieter.
Thanks for any help
Dont have this motor but looks good http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F2150kv.html:D

Theres a thread about them here I think http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...turnigy+2150kv
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:19 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,957 Posts
Quote:
400 squair meters of the stuff to cover 400 meters of Viynl flooring lol
I think I would get some funny looks trying to get a sheet on the bus and then the train home.

Owen I'd like to know about a good can motor for 4s too I have an inrunner but as you say it is noise and dose not seem to be that efitiant also it is very heavy I had to put my 4s right at the front to get c of g
Build it on site. Finger on the pulse. Please nick
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:36 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
what the heck was that
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:22 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Cut out the middle man, just tell them where the site (skip) is and they can go along and pinch it for themselves