HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2011, 05:52 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
That's nuts I would love to fly into work on one of them buzz past all the traffic with people looking out there car windows open mouthed.
Hope he had a fail safe set imagin if it lost rc and went to full power like shikras multiwiicopter did and went off into the clouds with
you on it.
I'd defanatly be wanting a hard wired control for shore!
I don't think I would be sittingin the middle of the blades ether what it it threw a blade ! Splat! Ouch! Death! Having all that over you would be far better and sitting under would also help the c of g be lower I would have thought.
Shall we all chip in and make one for the next meet lol.
You hit the nail on the head. I drew up, a year ago mind, a frame with underslung seat. Hard wired controls. Aluminium frame with magnesium motor mounts. X8 format with electric. Though I decided in the end for endurance I'd go with 4 petrol engines with a variable rotor speed (for yaw) and variable pitch props. Running by the hoverfly pro control board (as that can work with variable pitch props). Only issue I had was money and of course the legal side of things.
Carlos230023 is online now Find More Posts by Carlos230023
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:06 AM
Joined Mar 2009
340 Posts
canard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
First a thank you to Angelos for pointing me in the right direction to repair my vtx

Thanks mate

Also thanks to tec3dad for the inspiration of his deltastorm, Almost finished this scratch build of a delta with operational cunards

Did not hot wire the 3/4" blucore foam cut out the wing shape and measured 30% measured 3/4" each side of that marked the centre thickness and cut off the four thin wedges with a hacksaw finished it off with a orbital sander

Covering is packing tape from staples 55mm edf is from a XPD8, air intake =coffee cup thrust tube cut from a ginger beer bottle

Originaly the idea was to use some of my old brushed bits laying about.

But now I think this is crying out to be a fpv ship quite fancy building another very slightly bigger with a cam in the nose air intake as a poor mans funjet but with a hidden cam.

I think this 27" ws would take fpv with a better power system seems a candidate for that bullet cam I am testing.

Oh well do one job and make twenty

Regards Jeff
Great job Jeff, look forward to the bigger one and video.
Cheers MIKE.
micarus is offline Find More Posts by micarus
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:49 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
I don't think I would be sittingin the middle of the blades ether what it it threw a blade ! Splat! Ouch! Death! Having all that over you would be far better and sitting under would also help the c of g be lower I would have thought.
Shall we all chip in and make one for the next meet lol.
Perhaps V2 (version 2) will include a central lightweight "pod" that the pilot sits in, so he can fly without danger of getting hit, should a blade break or anything.

Plus wonder how many blades it takes to reliably take the weight of the person sitting in it. So if 1, 2, 3... blades stopped spinning, could it still fly without dropping out of the sky (redundancy).

Obviously you wouldnt want a handful of blades to all stop at once, on one side of the craft, or it WOULD then likely just tip over!
(perhaps the clever way they wired up groups of motors prevent this happening should a partial power issue occur)

OK, now Im thinking into this too deeply!
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:32 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,703 Posts
Lol. Thats exactly how I wasted 4 weeks sketching up technical drawings looking at material tolerances, weights and potential flight & landing stress. I had designed a 1 seated and a 4 seated with a central joystick and all passengers looking in. Ergonomically it meant that sat in any position a forward push on the control stick would make you move in that direction. Of course you'd need colour changing nab lights to compensate for the altering forward flight direction... :P. I've got pages of this stuff

CJ
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:51 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Sounds impressive Carlos - perhaps you could send on some of your plans and designs to this company, who might look to implement features into their fabricated craft?

Either that, OR... Get your own "sit on" Quad developed ASAP, put a video up of YOU sat in its centre, hovering around Milton Keynes, then add me to the top of the Order list.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:58 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Huskey, Your package is in the post
UniAlfieBoy, Your package is in the post
Barney, Nicley done keep up the good work
Liam, Answer your txt's
German guys straping burshless motors to themselves - also nicely done here's a link for ya if you go any higher http://brsparachutes.com/
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,703 Posts
Honest to god if I had figured out how much the damn thing would cost I'd be building it now. Roughly 3500 just for the materials to build the frame! Not to mention motors (gas or electric) digital servos man enough to do pitch control. It's a job for when I win the lottery .

CJ
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:28 AM
Didcot, UK, OX11
Joined Sep 2003
630 Posts
I don't think the cost for building a full size multi-rotor is awfully forbidding but after the initial achievement it is a totally useless project. You probably don't want to fly it more than 2m off the ground and who knows what type of licensing restrictions it has. It is possible that manned flying it nor permitted altogether. It is also possible that the packs only last 2-3 minutes so no much fun either.

-Angelos
Angelos is offline Find More Posts by Angelos
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,703 Posts
Well if I use gas and variable pitch props I'd be alright on endurance. And I can think of alot of commericial uses. Site servays. Airel observation platform. It has potential as a light commercial lifting tool. I'm sure applications could be found for it. It'd have far less complexity than a helicopter despite having 4 motors or more. as far as I'm concerned it's a route I wouldn't go down. But I can tell ya. I'd rather be 200 meters off the ground instead of two. More thinking/bailout time :P.

CJ
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:03 PM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
How about this guy (sorry its off-topic). But its still "hovering"? lol.....

Water Jet Pack: Get High with Jetlev! (3 min 14 sec)
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:08 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyEyes View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im1iNq02Kz0
was that Jesus at 0:29 ??
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyEyes View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im1iNq02Kz0
To do that you need a boat top follow you with the pump in.
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:20 PM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
It seems it's my turn to have angered the VTx gods today. Not sure what I did to make the magic smoke come out as I pulled everything apart in a panic when I heard that dreaded "fssssst" sound.

Anyone with the 500mw Airwaves 2.4ghz Tx take a look at the burnt component in the image I've attached and tell me what it should be. I'm fairly sure it's a capacitor, but it's not a type I've seen before.

SouthPawPaul is offline Find More Posts by SouthPawPaul
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:22 PM
Didcot, UK, OX11
Joined Sep 2003
630 Posts
I enquired about the JetLev (water jet pack) early 2009 because my uncle had a water sports business and I thought it would be a good addition. Their exact reply:

> We offer 3 different engine types 150hp=€99.000, 220hp=€119.000, and 300hp=€129.000

IMO they lost the plot! I can understand if the price was twice the cost of a top end jet ski but for that money they will only sell them to very few people that have more money than know what to do with it. And quite frankly there isn't much more hardware in it than a jetski has.

-Angelos
Angelos is offline Find More Posts by Angelos
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:57 PM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
it has 336C on the top line of text and 80B31 on the bottom
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick