HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:27 AM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Yeh it is very good

But does this mean we still need to use a buddy box at BMFA sites per the rules or not?

I have flown FPV a couple of times at my club without a buddy box but with a spotter always and the controller cn always be handed over to them if somethign goes wrong
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
New.distance.record.for.me!!!300meters!!!oh.yeah!! !!
it.dosent.sound.a.lot.but.it.felt.scary
400ft.does.seem.a.bit.low.I.think.i.may.already.ha ve.been.over.that.just.today.
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:40 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post
The good thing is that it dose not mention range at all. 400 is I can do round here any way. It's a good start. I passed a copy over to my club. That'll shut them up for a while.
i think range wise. it comes down to how good your spotters eyes are.....
thats what i understand from the new rules.
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:50 AM
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Quote:
i think range wise. it comes down to how good your spotters eyes are.....
thats what i understand from the new rules.
Would.binoculars.count.as.obstructed.view?
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:20 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,252 Posts
binoculars.would.not.be.unaided.view.

never realised how good a space bar is until I did that.

it's great news and I think Simon is to be congratuilated on his progress and thanked for his persistence. Nice one!!!

now.. about the altitude limit, the spotter... say I was to have a 900g plane...
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:10 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
770 Posts
the info on spotters

3. Competent Observer
A ‘competent observer’ is defined as a trained and competent person designated by the person in charge of the aircraft who, by direct unaided visual observation of the aircraft, assists the person in charge with the safe conduct of the flight.
4. Procedures for flying with a competent observer
Before any flight is made ensure that your competent observer is fully briefed and rehearsed on what is expected of him/her and your plan for the flight based on the prevailing conditions.
Make sure that the competent observer understands that he/she must stay directly adjacent to you (the person in charge) and maintain direct unaided visual contact with your aircraft at all times, visually and aurally monitoring the airspace for other aircraft and the take-off and landing area for any persons. In the event of another aircraft being spotted they should identify if it poses a risk of collision. If it does they should use the call "Aircraft - Descend, Descend, Descend", or in the very unlikely event that the spotted aircraft is lower than the model "Aircraft - Climb, Climb, Climb".
If your aircraft is proceeding beyond the point at which the observer is able to monitor its flight path sufficiently to identify risks of collision, he/she must tell you to manoeuvre your aircraft so that adequate visual reference is regained.

HAHA what are the chances of having to call "climb climb climb"
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:31 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post

HAHA what are the chances of having to call "climb climb climb"
Ask RCM about last weekend :P

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:43 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
Ask RCM about last weekend :P

CJ
I did't have to climb... He was well above me but my spotters (1/2 the club at the time) CJ, Frank, Nick and others, warned me to stay put in this area of the sky. I saw the plane and from then on I was fully aware of what to do.

Spotters are a definite need ! My Thanks to all
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:46 PM
Surrey UK
Joined Nov 2005
224 Posts
Cold water

Before anyone gets too excited, If your insurance is with the BMFA then you need to comply with BMFA rules until they change them.

Membership of FPV UK costs 15.80 P/A and includes 5m public liability insurance for all of your R/C flying. Full details and an online application form are available here: http://www.fpvuk.org

Geoff
Geoff Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Chapman
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
Lol how old is your computer that you don't have an onboard soundcard? I've got a sound card but only because I'm a nerd when it comes to music and I love the creative x-fi crystalliser processing my audio before I blast it out of my 7.1 :P. Making watching FPV very immersive.

CJ
x-fi crystalliser with a name like that it must make it sound better!
SmithersMK is offline Find More Posts by SmithersMK
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
I did't have to climb... He was well above me but my spotters (1/2 the club at the time) CJ, Frank, Nick and others, warned me to stay put in this area of the sky. I saw the plane and from then on I was fully aware of what to do.

Spotters are a definite need ! My Thanks to all
2nd that. I've completely lost video twice at the club. Without RC and the gang it would have been game over.
SmithersMK is offline Find More Posts by SmithersMK
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:38 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,130 Posts
Well finally did a night flight with Chltern Flyer this evening.
Now have strip lights on the EasyGlider.
was not the best experiance as the ground station lead acid battery went flat, I was wondering why the oricale was making such a racket. Had to switch to my back up fat sharks and only one VRX as one battery can do both.
I was having a camera issue as well so the picture was a bit iffy and I could not record it as the Archos was dead (GS battery)

Anyway chucked it up and promptly landed as I forgot where I left the fatsharks after the re-wire oh and it was dark.
Finally managed to get up there. It was great, fely like it was still light.
Buzzed the late evening farmers ploughing the field. DOSD worked well but we did not stray too far. Finding the strip was easy as I already had a IR led array which I had set up as a beam across the strip which you could see along way off.

One problem

It was dark..... Packing up was a bloody nightware. I had to use the planes lights as illumination.

Can'y wait to do it again.
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:39 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,130 Posts
wow they looked better on the phone
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:05 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post

. It was great, fely like it was still light.
Buzzed the late evening farmers ploughing the field. SNAP...3 tractor drivers several large fields apart will have some tails to tell!!

DOSD worked wellSNAP but we did not stray too far.NO SNAP...you will gain confidence Finding the strip was easy SNAPas I already had a IR led array which I had set up as a beam across the strip which you could see along way off.NO SNAP...Single tiny torch visable from 600m!

One problem

It was dark..... Packing up was a bloody nightware. I had to use the planes lights as illumination.you need a nagging Greek to make you put it all in a flight box, with an LED strip

Can'y wait to do it again.SNAP...only 4 daytime flights in the last 20, all the rest in the dark!

Fun ain't it?

Badlands, me old mucker.... read Davids fantastic review of his/your mission. VINEGAR? Oh how I laughed (worked for four years in a chippy during O and A levels ) Wondered if you could give us the flipside, your view of the adventure?
Just pulled the trigger on a seeeduino MWC board, FF IMU.... Once they are cobbled onto my VERY agricultural Y6 I will be having some real fun! Just out of interest have you built a CP Bi Quad yet? or just the linear Polorised one you had at FPV Bounce?

Finally.Met up with .My.Mate. from FPV Heaven again last weekend, and they are going to go all out for us next year It's a long way off I know but it will be a good one. Tents maybe required as I don't think the 'hall' will accomodate us all next time! Btw... what happened to our champion snorer Cadders? Haven't seen him around for a while.

paul
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithersMK View Post
x-fi crystalliser with a name like that it must make it sound better!
Lol. That's and it's onboard processor is more powerful than my last PC's CPU :P. Must be doing something good

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023