SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:44 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,767 Posts
Here is that pic I promised, sorry for the quality. It is 7:30 AM . Ill knock this togeather tonight and post a slightly better pic :P.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:37 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
thanks for the prices Owen. Am I right in assuming that you manufacture the stealthwing? All up for supporting British business! I'm also a HUGE fan of EPP foam. How is the wing core cut? And what's the span/top payload? I wanna strap one of these suckers on there http://www.globeflight.de/GFK-mount-...D-FPV-camera_1 under a home made clear canopy (as the polycarb gopro HD case doesn't fit in the mount. Just to keep the bugs out and smooth the airflow). All this of course is with infinite disposable income. So it may be a few weeks before I whack in the order. Gotta run it by the boss (fiancé). I'm also working on a mount that would not even need the camera to be outside of the fuse (clever stuff with mirrors so I only need tiny (light) servos to tilt the view).

CJ
Hi Carlos,
yes the Stealthwings are proudly made in the UK. They're currently cut out using a manual hot wire foam cutter, but have been working on a cnc one so i can do things like cut spar voids in the wing. but this has taken a little back seat for the moment as i've other more pressing projects.
The span is 54" and although i dont know what the max payload is, my current 4s one with gopro (no fpv cam as i fly off the gopro on that one) and 6400mah aboard, well it's balistic and climbs at 45degrees! that says to me that it could like a bit more and still be pretty hot.

I do actually have one of those P&T modules from globe flight on my skywalker. although not flown with it yet as the weather has been too windy.

Carlos, would this be your first FPV rig? there's nothing wrong in that if it is, you can fly them slow, just thinking of your proposed cam setup.
I would highly recommend keeping it really simple, at the moment i just tape the camera on. no pan or tilt. the problem with making all this complicated stuff if that a) it adds weight (which in itself is not too bad as the Stealthwings have a big payload but obviously reduces flight time)
b) one disagreement with the ground and it's all broken. - which if it's your first FPV rig could happen.

The globe flight P&T modules are great for the planes like the skywalker and twinstar. high wing stable platforms, i can fly my skywalker and check my email on my iphone at the same time lol.

The question you've gotta ask yourself is what sort of FPV flying will you be doing. Myself I basically have 2 styles 1) Stealthwing/funjet, flying low - high - between things, following things. rapid
2) Sykwalker/tsII/ez* floating about looking at ground objects pan and tilting to keep them in view. nice and stable slow.
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:46 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
Here is that pic I promised, sorry for the quality. It is 7:30 AM . Ill knock this togeather tonight and post a slightly better pic :P.

CJ
Hi again
i cant see the advantage of this. it's not going to reduce the drag as you have to make the mirror bigger as it get further away from the camera.
I'll have a little think about this during the day. i think if you want a P&T forget mirrors - or at least try it with the gopro first, stick a mirror with white board marker grid laid out on the mirror so you can see how big it needs i rekon your be shocked at how big it would need to be, especially on r3.
sorry am i sounding like a right bastard? it's just that i dont want you to spend ages making something thats gonna not be any good.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 04:17 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,454 Posts
it's an interesting concept though, I like the idea of keeping the plane streamlined by keeping the fpv cam out of the airflow and just popping a little mirror on top... but perhaps with a Cessna at low speed the aerodynamics won't matter too much anyway

that tilt as you have it will just stretch and compress the image, you won't get much useful tilt out of it ,and it kind of harms the aerodynamics too?

I might try it on my funjet (the mirror's only about £8) without pan as proof-of-concept one day but I have to agree with Owen that if it's your first project then keep it simple. I have taped not glued my twinstar so it's always ready for an upgrade or servicing later on. I may maiden my first p/t this morning

m.

EDIT PS don't waste money on a new dinner set, the old one is probably still good for a few years yet ;-)
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 08, 2011, 04:32 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,767 Posts
This would be my second setup with FPV. That cessna (the nose of which is in the top corner of that pic) is the first. And that diagram wasn't very accurate. I was thinking more having the lens of the cam near dead level with the top of the fuse. Then a tiny mirror purched atop the lens. Many bolted straight on the side of a 3.2g servo. I'll try to show you what I mean with a slightly more practical experiment. I mean, how hard can it be? :P.

Thanks for the info on the wing. I shall be saving my penneth to snatch one up.

As far as dinner sets are concerned. We don't have one yet :P. So it's getting harder to put off buying one :P. Glad I snuck my OSD purchase into our figures before she thought of the set though.

CJ
Old Feb 08, 2011, 05:06 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Mike one way of keeping the plane streamlined is to bed the cam in the wing, I had thought if doing this with a funjet. Of course you'll have a bit of fus in the way but it's whether you want streamlined or visibility. On my funjet ultra(6s ) the cam is bedded in the nose. You can even see that it's a fpv plane till you look closely.

But carlos yeah give the mirror method a go. You might be on to something.
What osd and other bits and pieces are you running?
Old Feb 08, 2011, 07:27 AM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Stream line cam on funjet been there got the tshirt. No smoke and mirrors here ok the gopro is a bit bigger lol
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old Feb 08, 2011, 07:40 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Yeah but that not flown, we're only talking about planes that have flown.....lol

but nice funjet mate
Old Feb 08, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,767 Posts
Well so far I have the Hoverfly tech quadcopter control board. Though this is gathering dust till wheelspin models get their arse into gear and ship me my master airscrew CCW props. And I've made myself a Cessna 185 from plans on this site. Just as a fun little trainer. Whole thing came out at 250 gramms. Though I've FPV'd it up and whacked my Sony 480tvl cam on top with a pan servo (that system hasn't been tested yet). I've got DPCAV's 900mhz 500mw VTx tuned into 1010mhz. And (on the recommendation of my flying buddie rcmonster99) the affordable CEOSD v1.2 system. All I really need is Mah consumed on screen (nice the have a fuel gauge) so that system will help out as it has ground speed, Variometer, distance and direction to home + compass, altitude (from ground, not sea level :P) and my voltage. So overall a pretty tasty system.

Gonna get the mother to cut me out some small mirrors tonight (as she does stained glass) and I'll post the results.

That funjet looks good. Love the canopy over the cam.

If the mirror doesn't work I may try with fiberoptics (modified endoscope) as you could stick or direct that anywhere.

CJ
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:00 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,767 Posts
Oops. Double post.

CJ
Last edited by Carlos230023; Feb 08, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
Yeah but that not flown, we're only talking about planes that have flown.....lol

but nice funjet mate
MY FJ IN THE AIR

http://vimeo.com/10688621
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:41 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,454 Posts
1 step forward...

Aaaarrrgggggh

I re-wire my twinstar now i got rid of the lines on the video and all the ESC noise but since I did it my GPS won't lock

now I put pan/tilt on my TS this morning, it's great, but shut the lid of my case and cracked the screen of the LCD monitor on the tripod knob

B~*ll*cks!!!!
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:52 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
MY FJ IN THE AIR

http://vimeo.com/10688621
yeah but that was 10 months ago. what i'm saying is you've not flown it since you changed something or other in it.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Changed as in crashed lol ok you are right. but proof of concept.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:00 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
Aaaarrrgggggh

I re-wire my twinstar now i got rid of the lines on the video and all the ESC noise but since I did it my GPS won't lock

now I put pan/tilt on my TS this morning, it's great, but shut the lid of my case and cracked the screen of the LCD monitor on the tripod knob

B~*ll*cks!!!!
One step forward & two steps back eh Mike?
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member