Martin sweet logo. Mind if I use it?
Carry on but no tattoos thou...
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:46 PM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,376 Posts
owen have to see how work and wind is but id be up for spotting see how it pans out
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:22 AM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,029 Posts
The 'SECRET' FPV location...

OK...

Shooting season is finally over

So I need to know numbers for the first of hopefully many visits to one of the most secluded, closed little hamlets that I have ever visited in my life! This is a huge 'country estate', with a working farm at the center of it all. My mate has a big unit there where he fixes my fav type of vehicles. Attatched to his unit is the 'beaters hut' a rather glamerous hut at that.. with sofas, tables, kitchen etc etc. We MAY be able to stay on site and make a weekend of it, all depends on numbers etc etc.

I am as usual pulling in a few favours on this one, and I might have to restrict numbers on the first visit. Please don't feel offended if you don't make it onto the list for this one... there will be plenty of other opertunities! Priority will go to those with experiance, kit, and HD recording on board. Various reasons for this... It is not the place for losing a plane/ crashing (!!) and I would like to be able to present those that were kind enough to let us fly some decent footage of their grounds

A very small donation may be gathered up, not a 'fee' as such, and will only be loose change like last time to cover electricity etc

I got my bearings wrong a bit when I said south Berks... it is actually due west of Newbury. Nearest postcode town is SN8 so I am guessing it is actually in Wiltshire. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS INFO AND THE MAP and then work it out and publish it. I give the postcode purely so you can work out how far it is from your gaff!

Brief description of site... mostly circular, about a mile across at the diameter. Privately owned. Single track road down to the farm/ cottages. Buildings are almost at the bottom of what can best be described as a huge meteroite collision! It's actually chalk downland at a guess, as the terrain is very simillar to the White Horse Hill near Uffington, Oxfordshire.

Good mixed flying at this venue... plenty of flat runs, opertunity for slope soaring off 'the cliffs', hedges to hop over, some woods etc etc.

THE BEST BIT... My mate has a collection of funky vehicles - Old VW vans are his speciality (as in the VERY oldest) and he also has a couple of WWII German Army VW based 'Wagens. That he is more than happy to drive along the single tracks whilst we buzz him from the air!!!!!

Sorry if bits of this sound draconian... but it has taken a lot of planning, and if all goes well could become a semi regular site, with 'stop overs', camping etc.

So... Some idea who would like to come along and when we would like to gather. My main man is going to ring me mid week to discuss, so it would be good to get some basics together ASAP.

Over to you chaps...

btw, sooner the better as in next month - if all goes well we can be back again soon

Paul
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
Last edited by yogz; Feb 07, 2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Got post town and direction from Newbury wrong lol!!!
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:43 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,932 Posts
Sounds great Paul
now I don't have HD and I have been know to lose a plane, but if there's space I'd love to come!

I've been out this morning scoping 2 possible sites and come up with next to nothing. Wish I lived in the sticks!! All the possibilities on my doorstep are either fenced off, too built up, not allowed, or need a very long walk

Are you going to set a date then see who can come or pick the "team" and set date after?

m
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:50 AM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Paul im in if theres room and im sure I can get some nice shots with a hover lols.
Regards Liam.
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,376 Posts
Im in and I never crash lol well not if Iím flying normally that is and not being a tw@t.
One suggestion that it might be better to fly from high ground as you donít have to worry about losing line of sight behind trees to much just a thought.

i can make when ever at the weekends just dont make it next week as i need to get the stealthwing finished and tested.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:11 AM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,528 Posts
Paul - outstanding work m8!

Not sure when it is but im in + my son if possible.
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
Last edited by badlands; Apr 14, 2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:14 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,406 Posts
Nice location!! Your directions are a bit off - Geog not a stong point at school!!

Hopefully I'll be in UK then. Would love to come down and meet up with the guys again. Supposed to be in Canada (-30) then Mexico (+40). Unusually I would prefer to be in the UK.....
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,376 Posts
Ok i found it do i get a prize? its only around 30 miles from me just up the road lol i like the look of the top of the hill see attached image?
Last edited by fpvnick; Feb 07, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:57 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Nice location!! Your directions are a bit off - Geog not a stong point at school!!

Hopefully I'll be in UK then. Would love to come down and meet up with the guys again. Supposed to be in Canada (-30) then Mexico (+40). Unusually I would prefer to be in the UK.....
Ay caramba ! you are meeting le quebecois !
that is going to be one hell of a suitcase, thick coats mixed in with shorts and sandals
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:02 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,092 Posts
Looks a great place
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:03 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,029 Posts
OK... Sounds like it is a goer then

If you went to FPV Freeze then you are top of the list (Just all call yourself Dan - Is in... If you're names not dan then you are not coming in!!! I love old jokes..)

No Nick you don't get a prize.. but for keeping shtum you go up in my estimations You have a good point about LOS, and I am sure we can have several launch sites. It's just I have been there and know that certain points will be difficult to get to.

We also need to thing of some practical missions to do. FPV Freeze was all about getting toes and lipo's to work in the freezing cold. I reckon we should simulate a search and rescue mission (either downed plane or a manikin or whatever...) Just to push the 'sport' a little. Setting wierd or specific goals will help us all further refine set ups, rather than just loafing around in the sky (not that there is much wrong with that!)

So we have so far..

Me
Liam
fpvnick
Shikra the jetsetter
Badlands plus minihim
Mike the lowres
Owen...depending on date and bumps progress to manhood

Ideas, and dates please...

Paul

p.s. It WILL NOT be Feb 26th, as that is my first commentating gig of the year, you know where!
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:12 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,932 Posts
well just all being up in the air at the same time would be an achievement, and some vids of following each other round in circuits would be cool. Formation low passes?

(my name's down!! cheers Bookmark!)
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:32 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,376 Posts
Paul you going to make a new thread for this meet like fpvfreeze that seemed to work well? could make it the weekend before the 26th then we have time to prep for it.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:03 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
well just all being up in the air at the same time would be an achievement, and some vids of following each other round in circuits would be cool. Formation low passes?

(my name's down!! cheers Bookmark!)
Not a bad idea chap... I would have thought you would have seen the PUN in your name, mr Low res!!

Nick Yes.. that makes a lot of sense. Damn. Now I have to go and work out how to start a thread lol! Lets roll with it here for 2 days then I will start a new thread. Need to nuture the seed before planting it out there