Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:15 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Pasty - Ah - I got you sussed. It's nothing about piloting. Your just an adrenaline junkie!!! Admit it!
I do like to push things... makes ya feel alive
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:55 AM
I Love Tea!
North East England
Joined Oct 2009
987 Posts
I've never flown with an osd (since starting fpv in summer) but the main reason I wanted one was to help protect my cash investment, which is why I wanted RTH. I know it can't be relied on but it will certainly help my confidence

Plus, I LOVE gadgets and clarting about with stuff, and the I think this particular OSD has plenty of scope for that, what with gps recording and whatnot. Can't wait to try it all out.

Step by tentative step though.......

I'm planning a small, tree slalom, give it a bit of a beating plane for next year too. That one will have my $10 osd in but that's about it.

Bandarra, I actually spotted those connectors last night, going off the link you supplied a couple of weeks back. Do you just crimp those things on with pliers? Do you solder them too?
Husky2000 is offline Find More Posts by Husky2000
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:04 PM
UK, South Yorkshire, Sheffield
Joined May 2009
968 Posts
I dont solder them, just crimp them on with a specific crimp tool. It actually has two crimps, a front one for the bare wires and the back one for the insulation. the first ones I did I pull tested them and was really happy with it (breaks the wire, not the crimp or slipping) so I dont feel the need to solder. The point is in fact avoiling soldering and nasty jobs like that. just make sure to get the propper "blue handles" "deluxe" "rachet" crimping tool instead of the crap normal red handle ones. You might think at first that you wont use it that often but you will, and it will be worth it. cost about 20 on ebay that tool.
Bandarra is offline Find More Posts by Bandarra
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandarra View Post
I dont solder them, just crimp them on with a specific crimp tool. It actually has two crimps, a front one for the bare wires and the back one for the insulation. the first ones I did I pull tested them and was really happy with it (breaks the wire, not the crimp or slipping) so I dont feel the need to solder. The point is in fact avoiling soldering and nasty jobs like that. just make sure to get the propper "blue handles" "deluxe" "rachet" crimping tool instead of the crap normal red handle ones. You might think at first that you wont use it that often but you will, and it will be worth it. cost about 20 on ebay that tool.
Do you have a link ??

Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:36 PM
UK, South Yorkshire, Sheffield
Joined May 2009
968 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ratchet-Crimp-...-/130415557647

how to:
Crimping a Servo Connector - Futaba J Housing with Deluxe Crimper (3 min 39 sec)
Bandarra is offline Find More Posts by Bandarra
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:41 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky2000 View Post
Ha ha, that's funny This is from my gf for christmas though. Bless 'er. Think I should get her something more than the socks I had planned
Well, I recall (painfully ) that their best presents come in very unassuming small packages tied with a bow... (jewelry and perfumes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepasty View Post
I'm not into sight seeing, extra long distance and all that, I'm in it for the piloting experience and having the risk of getting lost, running out of juice etc is all part of it for me... having that done for me would dull the experience for sure.

Thats the reason I dont go for fly themselves airframes... I'm a pilot not a passenger

I'm not arguing that OSD's shouldnt be used or anything of the sort as people can do what the hell they like, want or need (oh and I dont care enough to argue on a virtual forum) ... I was simply interested if theres anyone who flies without all the leccy aids like myself.
I am a bit like you. My OSD tell me where I am and my speed and my height. they don't control my planes. quite often I turn the display off. I like high altitude flying so the OSD will tell me if I am gaining/losing height and what height I am at. And if I happen to be cloud hopping, the OSD lets me relax because at any moment I will be able to turn back home.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:47 PM
I Love Tea!
North East England
Joined Oct 2009
987 Posts
Great links, thanks Bandarra.

Now I know how it's done
Husky2000 is offline Find More Posts by Husky2000
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:59 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,425 Posts
Don't suppose anyone knows the RS components part nos for servo connectors - M/F ?
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:18 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Don't suppose anyone knows the RS components part nos for servo connectors - M/F ?
not RS but giantcod ?
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:31 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
he wants RS so he dosent have to pay for it....
.....me to for that matter lol
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:54 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,007 Posts
I have neve seen these connectors on the RS or Farnell or others. These guys (rc manufacturers) seem to have made their own...I might be wrong.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:55 PM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
ahaha - so your company 'sponsors' you too

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:58 PM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
I have neve seen these connectors on the RS or Farnell or others. These guys (rc manufacturers) seem to have made their own...I might be wrong.
I use the Molex pins and connectors from RS, they are much easier to solder than normal RC types
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman