SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:18 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogz View Post
All this talk about cameras.... On phone so cant post link but check yesterday on the dragon osd thread here in fpv forum. Daniel Wee has done EXTENSIVE testing on all the popular fpv cam choices - quality. Resolution, RF noise, price etc. He posted a link to his projects page. Very impartial and informative and lots of good idvice on making the most of your existing cam!

Posted this for two reasons - firstly I am sure it will be usefull info for all of you and secondly it's been a bit quite on the UK fpv thread today ;-)

Stealth I have replied - ta v much for offer and apologies again for dunce head / rusty forum user not realising I had a pm!!

Regards
Paul
Got a link to that page ??

Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:23 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
Here you go matey :

http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php...9&p=1370#p1370
Coyote64 is online now Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:34 AM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
lol!

wish I could cut and paste txt from a web page on my phone.... but I Cant simon ... sorry! but when you do go the the dosd thread (usually on first page of fpv forum) then find daniel wee's link to his project page.... make sure you bookmark it. Off all the 'vendors' for fpv gear I think he is unsupassed in terms of respect earned, attitude to customers, 'rivals' and our hobby in genuine. One of my top 5 people I have ever found on the internet. Even if you dont buy his 'products' (he invents and perfects and allows others to manufacture and market) he will always help out. tsebi is the home of his projects - reading his blog is fascinating ... the stuff he posts there points to possible futures for fpv and must give the 'competition' not that he appears to see them as such a head start.

I am hooked - all my kit is dragon. For the price, the philosophy, the support and most important the features and functionality. For me who likes to research and pontificate (hence weeks later I am still not in the air) Dragon Labs was a no brainer ;-)

regards
Paul
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
Old Nov 05, 2010, 05:45 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
What iPhone do you have? and what software upgrade version are you running Paul?

There was a version that allows you to cut and paste. i use it all the time on my 3Gs
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:08 AM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Any one night flying im getting withdrawal symptoms now its dark all the time and have started converting an old glider I built many years ago into a twin boom for night flying much slower flying and hopefully more stable than my fj or xeno. Do you need to use a night vision cam or not? any other tips most welcome
cheers
nick
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:11 AM
UK, South Yorkshire, Sheffield
Joined May 2009
968 Posts
I personally dont fancy night flying but it really is a pain now going to work almost in the dark and coming back home in the dark again. If it is crappy over the weekend there is no flying possible! omg :O

gonna try to maiden the zeph on sunday if the forecast is accurate...
Bandarra is offline Find More Posts by Bandarra
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:13 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
Jay28 has been doing some low light flying with his KX171 here :

http://www.fpvuk.org/forum/index.php...;sa=item;in=73

Works pretty good. The lower the lux requirement of the camera the better it will cope
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:13 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
how effective are night cameras? can you fly with confidence?
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:20 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
There arn`t really any night cameras for that purpose. To get a camera to work well like that you would need a IR source, but once up in the air it would be mainly ineffective.

The low lux rated cameras pick up street lights etc ok but if it the pitch black near a field your not going to see anything and flying would be very difficult
Last edited by Coyote64; Nov 05, 2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Typo :)
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:25 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Thats pretty good!
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:35 AM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
There arn`t really any night cameras for that purpose. To get a camera to work well like that you would need a IR source, but once up in the air it would be mainly ineffective.

The low lux rated cameras pick up street lights etc ok but if it the pitch black near a field your not going to see anything and flying would be very difficult
Not sure how this effects things, but did you know that almost all CCD and CMOS sensors are highly sensitive to infra red and are actually filtered to produce an image like our eye would see?

I know there are IR cameras that can see plenty in all but total pitch black.
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:43 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
Yes the filter cut the ir down, but again they still need an ir source to see.

Take the sony handycam with nightshot, it can see in the pitch black they claim, But in fact it doesn`t. It has a IR source and removed the IR filter over the lens when you flick on the nightshot function. Because its IR (Infa red )no one see`s the bulb is actually on so presume it can see in the pitch black but cant.

No cameras can see in the pitch black, even the most expensive, but they can pick up a picture with very little light still.

I use a scope fitted with a CCD camera with its IR filter removed, useless without a light source of some sort. When i have my powerfull IR lamp on i can see objects up to 50 yards away like they are in daylight. But thats using a 100w bulb and if they are no objects between its max range and the lamp then nothing is seen so in the air this just wont work

For example :

Infrared Webcam Conversion (1 min 39 sec)

A vid on removing the ir lens to convert a simple webcam to a night cam, but note only when the camera sees the ir light from the remote near it will it actually pick up a picture
Last edited by Coyote64; Nov 05, 2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:57 AM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
Suppose they aren't as good as military IR cameras (or night vision goggles) that will see in total blackness as everything radiates slightly different heat. heat = ir.

Handy for spotting people at night in bushes, or trucks from several miles away, but probably not great for flying.

... and a true IR camera will probably cost you a small fortune.
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:00 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
Yeah thats it, the ones that can perform like that are larger and expensive but again in the air totally useless
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:07 AM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
one of the filds I fly from is next to an Astroturf pitch this has lots of large lights round it so Iwill be able to see where home is and should give plent of light for landing
I have a security cam with ir leds that i was using on my fpv crawler for night expeditions last winter and it worked really well for that. I took it out of the heavy metal case last night and I think it will do the job. I will try and get it set up tonight and see what its like here is a pic of the twin boom im making.
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick