HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Why would you want that?, many 2.4ghz systems already have it in the form of two antennas. Frsky switches between the two antennas depending on which one has the highest signal strength.
Just realised i'm being a numpty and getting transmitter and receiver the wrong way! I mean, dual Tx. So i can have a patch antenna sending the signal for distance, but also some kind of dipole antenna on the ground close by incase i go out of the 'signal window' of the patch.

Hope this makes sense
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Dirty Dozen FPV
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewpix View Post
Speaking of Skywalker builds i'm having a problem with mine... All the electics were working (fy31ap, hornet osd, ezuhf) but ive got a 2 battery system, one battery goes to the 12v in of the hornet, the other goes to the esc. Decided to add a bec (got a 5A switching ubec) to cut out the 5v power from the esc. I cut the red and black wires from the esc and connect the red and black from the ubec in their place, and connect it to the fy31ap (which then goes to the rx). Now the motor doesn't power up, also with just one battery plugged in the osd brings up a 2.5v phantom second battery with the normal one at 12.5v, when both batteries are plugged in the second battery reads 15v instead of 12.5 - seems some voltage is reaching part of the circuit it shouldn't? Have replaced the red and black bec wires with the red and black of the esc and everything is back to normal. I'd worked out in my tiny brain that these wires were just supplying 5v so switching to another 5v source would not be a problem, can anyone shed any light on why this isn't working?! I kept the yellow esc wire connected, just changed the red and black. Sorry if there is an obvious mistake here!?

(Other than that I've stuck the two halves together, just need to make a few hinges for the control surfaces then program in the failsafes/height ceiling on rtl etc, play around with the gyro pots and i'm good for a maiden. Before I do that I'm going to produce a detailed wiring diagram of my final setup so I can remember the winning formula for next time!)

Cheers for any help guys!
You cut the black wire to the ESC, without a reference to 0v the signal means nothing. Connect the black wire up again and all should be well.
Wayno Complaino is online now Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Hi Wayne, so do I connect both the black wire from the esc and the black wire from the 5v ubec together into the rx (or in this case the fy31ap)...with the red wire from the ubec and the yellow from the esc going into the other two ports?
lewpix is offline Find More Posts by lewpix
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Dirty Dozen FPV
Joined Aug 2011
2,469 Posts
that should do it, then both circuits will have the same reference to ground or 0V
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:14 PM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,154 Posts
Tested the RC305 with the 2s set-up, unfortunately, the weather was naff by the time I was ready...

Anyway, put it on for a 10min test, forgot about it for 45minutes...

Luckily only used half a battery! Woo! So should get around 1hr 30mins out of a 950mah 2s =D
DodgeRC is online now Find More Posts by DodgeRC
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! It worked! Thanks so much Wayne, can continue the build now, another lesson learned! Cheers!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
Dirty Dozen FPV
Joined Aug 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewpix View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! It worked! Thanks so much Wayne, can continue the build now, another lesson learned! Cheers!
You're welcome. Sounds like your Skywalker has the same kit as mine, my hornet OSD is busted though, well, i think it just needs a new current sensor. I may pull it out and use an EzOSD along side the FY31 but i wont be able to see what flight mode the FY is in. Just have to learn the switches better. It'd also free up a channel that i could then use on flaps.

Quite enjoying the Skywalker, when i get a chance to fly, so much time on my hands and rubbish weather. January i'm gonna be swamped with work so i cant see much flying going on.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,685 Posts
James mays you stories is back on tonight channel 2 at 7 if anyone is interested!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
James mays you stories is back on tonight channel 2 at 7 if anyone is interested!
Thanks for posting that up. It's not on BBC2 Scotland so I'd have missed it.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
I was wondering how to get enough channels for flaps too, was considering losing the rudder channel, though having never flown it flaps are a way down the line yet... one step at a time and all that. Can't you order a seperate Current Sensor?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
Dirty Dozen FPV
Joined Aug 2011
2,469 Posts
firstpersonview.co.uk have them in stock. I assume you have a pan and tilt if you are out of channels too. DONT unplug the rudder, it has way more authority than the ailerons and you'll need it. I found i could 'bank and yank' the easy star 2 but the Skywalker needs the rudder. Just chose what OSD view you like the most and set it permanently there, use that channel for flaps instead. The need for flaps is debatable on the skywalker, ive found i want to scrub speed when trying to fly formation or 'wait' for someone to catch up so im gonna fit flaps to see if that helps.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
Still flying a desk..
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Sep 2001
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
Santa (the missus) was good to me this year, lots of goodies for my Skywalker build (motor, servos, li-po) + she suprised me (bless her) with an EDF F14 Tomcat, twin 70mm fans, swing wing, retracts etc..not suitable for FPV methinks but looks kinda wicked all the same. A candidate for CJs egg camera one day perhaps...?

Got some gear desicions to make for Skywalker now, the dedicated build thread is v crowded, v big, v confusing (+ they always seem to be shouting at each other...just not cricket). Any advice on receiver, camera, OSD types v welcome + if any used gear available please shout.
This camera is quite a decent one. I've got one and Mudlark bought one as well.
Plus 51 reviewers liked it:-
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

OSDs: I had a range video (RVOSD gen3). Never tried the autopilot because it looked too complicated (and also relied on IR sensors that don't seem to work very well in cloudy or cold weather). I sold it because it didn't fit on my easy star very well.
I've got 2 Dragon OSD's now. These are great, the autopilot is a doddle to get working and they are much smaller than the RVOSD. Only downside of the DOSD is that it needs a PPM out from your receiver for the autopilot.

VTX if you want to be future proof then your best bet (at the moment) is to get the Immersion 5.8 stuff. I think that 5.8 is the most likely band that will get assigned for proper FPV use. If I right then the ImmersionRC channels are going to be the legal ones. (The current Chinese stuff does not operate on recognised European frequencies).
ChilternFlyer is offline Find More Posts by ChilternFlyer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:02 PM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,154 Posts
Hey DOSD users, is there an option for antenna tracking? And does it have the artificial horizon similar to ET + Guardian stabilizer?
DodgeRC is online now Find More Posts by DodgeRC
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:55 PM
Still flying a desk..
Joined Sep 2001
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRC View Post
Hey DOSD users, is there an option for antenna tracking? And does it have the artificial horizon similar to ET + Guardian stabilizer?
LOL Antenna tracking? Hmm now where is that?
I'll let Mike, James and Dave answer that lot.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:57 PM
Still flying a desk..
Joined Sep 2001
1,695 Posts
We have lift off!

Yay!
My Huxley has printed it's first part!

it lives! (part 2) (0 min 44 sec)

I want to build its big brother next