Joined Mar 2001
4,112 Posts
Here is a diagram
mudlark is online now Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
I joined the group but still don't really know what it does. Weather looks okayish for today, hopefully I can test out my new batterys
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:26 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,192 Posts
what's a google group?
I think I must be approaching the age where technology moves faster than I can keep up with it
time to switch all my radios to radio 2 and start appreciating jazz
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:49 AM
Dirty Dozen FPV
Joined Aug 2011
2,472 Posts
On my way back to Blighty. Got a very quick flight with the Skywalker yesterday but the evening was getting on and the wind was getting up. Also forgot to record the first Half of the flight. Ended up playing safe and landing early, when I lifted my goggles there was a small crowd gathered who gave me a round of applause for the landing.

I've been thinking more about my fleet of planes and what I like, want and need.

The Skywalker is a good FPV plane for down the field and safe to push distance, height and test new stuff. It's not the best to travel with and no good for a 'quick flight' as it takes a little while to build. It also needs space to land. It's a 'truck of the sky'. Keeper.

The Raven has been great for learning to fly a wing and for practicing low and proximity flying. It travels OK and is quick to set up and launch. Mostly it takes a beating in its stride. Problem I have with it is its unstable and inconsistent, every time I launch it i swear someone has messed with my trims. Keeping until it dies but I won't replace.

The ParkJet is so much fun and so fast, it's just so so fragile and a right arse to launch. The current one is knackered but I have new foam, I'll rebuild but try and keep for special occasions, it's not and 'every day' plane.

The Easy Star 2 has served me well and is a good 'allrounder' if you only have one plane, this is it. Is currently stripped down but I might rebuild it just as a 'spare plane', just in case.

The X8 is going to stay in the box for the foreseeable future, every time I get all the parts together I 'borrow' some for another project. With the Skywalker working well there is no rush.

The Cularis was so close to being ready to FPV then I raped it for parts again, I have mixed feelings for it, I really want to FPV a glider but as its already built I've had to chop it about to get in the FPV gear where I want it. Again there's no rush on this, maybe I will buy a new airframe some time, start form scratch and get it ready for the summer.

So. What I want is a plane that I can throw in the back of the van with other stuff when I go away on work and can be ready at a moments notice. I would like it to be as tough as the Raven but more stable, yet retain some aerobatic capabilities. I'd also love to have a pan and tilt like the Skywalker. Yes I do want it all, why shouldn't I?

I think I've found that plane: The Spector V2 by IBCrazy. It's a plane I've converted before but sort of forgotten about but I think it fits the bill. What are your thoughts on this plane? I know John has one and I've seen it, it's a scruffy plane from new but its designed to take a beating and will so who cares. Question is, to I buy one from him (only in ARF) or do I try to build one from scratch?

Hmmm

(Sorry for the ramble, sitting in my van being driven across Spain. Trying to kill the time, I'm a bad passenger, especially in my own van)
Wayno Complaino is online now Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:00 AM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
On my way back to Blighty. Got a very quick flight with the Skywalker yesterday but the evening was getting on and the wind was getting up. Also forgot to record the first Half of the flight. Ended up playing safe and landing early, when I lifted my goggles there was a small crowd gathered who gave me a round of applause for the landing.

I've been thinking more about my fleet of planes and what I like, want and need.

The Skywalker is a good FPV plane for down the field and safe to push distance, height and test new stuff. It's not the best to travel with and no good for a 'quick flight' as it takes a little while to build. It also needs space to land. It's a 'truck of the sky'. Keeper.

The Raven has been great for learning to fly a wing and for practicing low and proximity flying. It travels OK and is quick to set up and launch. Mostly it takes a beating in its stride. Problem I have with it is its unstable and inconsistent, every time I launch it i swear someone has messed with my trims. Keeping until it dies but I won't replace.

The ParkJet is so much fun and so fast, it's just so so fragile and a right arse to launch. The current one is knackered but I have new foam, I'll rebuild but try and keep for special occasions, it's not and 'every day' plane.

The Easy Star 2 has served me well and is a good 'allrounder' if you only have one plane, this is it. Is currently stripped down but I might rebuild it just as a 'spare plane', just in case.

The X8 is going to stay in the box for the foreseeable future, every time I get all the parts together I 'borrow' some for another project. With the Skywalker working well there is no rush.

The Cularis was so close to being ready to FPV then I raped it for parts again, I have mixed feelings for it, I really want to FPV a glider but as its already built I've had to chop it about to get in the FPV gear where I want it. Again there's no rush on this, maybe I will buy a new airframe some time, start form scratch and get it ready for the summer.

So. What I want is a plane that I can throw in the back of the van with other stuff when I go away on work and can be ready at a moments notice. I would like it to be as tough as the Raven but more stable, yet retain some aerobatic capabilities. I'd also love to have a pan and tilt like the Skywalker. Yes I do want it all, why shouldn't I?

I think I've found that plane: The Spector V2 by IBCrazy. It's a plane I've converted before but sort of forgotten about but I think it fits the bill. What are your thoughts on this plane? I know John has one and I've seen it, it's a scruffy plane from new but its designed to take a beating and will so who cares. Question is, to I buy one from him (only in ARF) or do I try to build one from scratch?

Hmmm

(Sorry for the ramble, sitting in my van being driven across Spain. Trying to kill the time, I'm a bad passenger, especially in my own van)
Yep that was a ramble

You are turning into me.
I recon you should just fly what you have till you kill some and then get something new.
I ended up fitting out all planes with gear and start to cost a lot of cash
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:01 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post

Hmmm

that's a tough one, the coveted all rounder plane, the ideal frame, pocket sized, indestructible, frugal consumption that will soar like an eagle and pounce like one !!!
I think you need to revisit the parkjet and slim it down or have it's bigger brother (ROO) with a modest but respectable power train.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:02 AM
Happy Days
Joined Mar 2001
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
what's a google group?
I think I must be approaching the age where technology moves faster than I can keep up with it
time to switch all my radios to radio 2 and start appreciating jazz
I know what you mean but radio 2. !!!!!!!!
Don't do it

What's jazz???
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:07 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
5,993 Posts
I see the BMFA magazine has dedicated 2 pages on FPV. they are thinking that they might be opening a category in their disciplines, however they are recommending to go to FPVHUB for advice and even insurance. good to see they are coming round but without heavily promoting this.
they are quoting enough regulations and safety advice to put people off
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:22 AM
Happy Days
Joined Mar 2001
4,112 Posts
You're right you keep up with this thead
Was mentioned a few pages back.
You don't like jazz by any chance? : D
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:25 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,192 Posts
I had to do the same rationalisation, recently I did a spreadsheet kind of thing to work out what all my planes and rC toys were for and what parts were going to go in them, the idea is to help me prioritise what to build.

I think the trouble with having too many projects is that you always end up flying and fixing the same plane or two and the others stay on the shelf. That's how it works for me anyway, I don't think I've ever got more than 2 vehicles at the same time that run! all the others are part built, being fixed, still in the box... I currently have 7 FPV vehicles in stages from working to still-in-the-box... which is ridicculous!

Bixler -general purpose, testing stuff, easy flying (working!)
BD-5 with retracts for pretending to be a pilot (crashed, needs repairs and retracts)
Mirage with 6s EDF for fast flight and screaming around the sky (nearly there but won't balance so I have to start again)
2.3m foamy Gider for long range (in box)
Bee2 for night flying/rough service (in box)
tricopter for hovering (needs fixing and testing)
Monster truck for tracker and autopilot testing (working!!)
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:32 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,192 Posts
Mudlark you are correct. the way to do it is do bin stuff when it's getting old and move on instead of aiming for such a full hangar. I might set a 3-crash limit to airframes and put a tally on the side of the fuse.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:35 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,659 Posts
I wouldn't go for IBCrazys plane Wayne. There's something not right with it. The thread for it is dead. I never see John fly it. I think it's good but not good enough if you get me. I think a delta is the way to go. Something like the Roo. RCM has had good results with it. I would recommend the arrow im building :P, but as its untested, probibally won't be massively crash resistant. And it's designed to eat power for short and sharp flights, probibally not what your looking for.

CJ
Carlos230023 is online now Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:36 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
I wouldn't go for IBCrazys plane Wayne. There's something not right with it. The thread for it is dead. I never see John fly it. I think it's good but not good enough if you get me. I think a delta is the way to go. Something like the Roo. RCM has had good results with it. I would recommend the arrow im building :P, but as its untested, probibally won't be massively crash resistant. And it's designed to eat power for short and sharp flights, probibally not what your looking for.

CJ
also twin boom design is not the best for transportation as I experienced with the Ursus...