HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Ok having some success with the naza now. Its holding position in atti mode. I had to recalibrate the IMU this sorted the left drift also recalibrate the esc again all the motors now spin up at the same time in the recommended setting I think both of these have stopped the tipping over issue I was having last night. Also upped the gains it feels much more dialled in and less spongy to fly. balancing the blades has helped a lot should of done that before really. Just got back from trying the GPS hold mode in the field and it worked a treat and locked on to sats really fast. Just need to test the failsafe return to home now then I can fit fpv gear. Any advice on testing the failsafe for the first time should I set it to the three position switch and lose manual mode rather than just turning off the TX?
Cheers
Nick

naza gps hold (0 min 30 sec)
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
Just put it on the credit card
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
Ok having some success with the naza now. Its holding position in atti mode. I had to recalibrate the IMU this sorted the left drift also recalibrate the esc again all the motors now spin up at the same time in the recommended setting I think both of these have stopped the tipping over issue I was having last night. Also upped the gains it feels much more dialled in and less spongy to fly. balancing the blades has helped a lot should of done that before really. Just got back from trying the GPS hold mode in the field and it worked a treat and locked on to sats really fast. Just need to test the failsafe return to home now then I can fit fpv gear. Any advice on testing the failsafe for the first time should I set it to the three position switch and lose manual mode rather than just turning off the TX?
Cheers
Nick

https://vimeo.com/52332933
Hey Nick,

I configured my gear switch to activate my failsafe. My three position switch I have GPS, Attitude and Manual modes. I found out how to do it by watching this Youtube video:
Turnigy9x NAZA GPS Forced Fail-Safe Mix (5 min 49 sec)

Hope that helps. Check out my video below, I tested my return to home failsafe earlier today.
JaeDubbya is offline Find More Posts by JaeDubbya
Last edited by JaeDubbya; Oct 28, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
First field test for my Fatshark Attitudes. Unfortunately it seems I might need to mod them a little bit, because I don't think the IPD is quite right for me even on the max setting.

Anyone fancy helping me to sort the problem I have with jello? I have balanced all my blades as much as I can. I have also balanced the DJI motors and have the gopro sitting on moongel.

Testing Fatshark Attitude Video Googles with my TBS Discovery Quadcopter FPV (5 min 59 sec)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeDubbya View Post
First field test for my Fatshark Attitudes. Unfortunately it seems I might need to mod them a little bit, because I don't think the IPD is quite right for me even on the max setting.

Anyone fancy helping me to sort the problem I have with jello? I have balanced all my blades as much as I can. I have also balanced the DJI motors and have the gopro sitting on moongel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWG9VGpiY2w
Try making a mount up using earplugs. I made one and it's fantastic. I'll upload some piccys in a minute or two.
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unialfred View Post
Try making a mount up using earplugs. I made one and it's fantastic. I'll upload some piccys in a minute or two.
Cheers, I already have all the bits to do that, but have not got around too it. However I can't see why that would be the problem, because plenty of FPV flyers have used moongel without issue and some found it better than the earplugs. I wonder if I am using too many of them though and its making the GoPro too loose.

I'll make an earplug mount and do some testing one evening this week with different solutions.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
Anyone ever tried anything daring like flying FPV around a fireworks display? LOL

Bridgestreet fireworks aerial video FPV (23 min 5 sec)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeDubbya View Post
Anyone ever tried anything daring like flying FPV around a fireworks display? LOL

https://vimeo.com/25994454
You obviously haven't met Paul (aka Yogz)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Here's an image of my gopro mount. It's so simple, It's just 4 earplugs with the tops cut off (so they're flat on both ends) superglued to a ply plate with a sticky adhesive gopro mount stuck to it. The other sides of the earplugs are then just superglued to the frame. The other images are of my wing which I re-covered today. This time the tape has actually stuck to the foam so hopefully it will fly waaaay better. I also increased the size of the vertical stabilizers to hopefully stop it from porpoising around the sky. Can't wait to try it out
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:01 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Hey nick. Nice one on sorting that. I too managed to get dans Naza working sweet in GPS hold today. I was gonna set a fail safe position on the 3 position switch but after watching that vid ill have a play and see if I can make a similar mix for the ff9. I'm sure it's possible.
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:10 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unialfred View Post
Here's an image of my gopro mount. It's so simple, It's just 4 earplugs with the tops cut off (so they're flat on both ends) superglued to a ply plate with a sticky adhesive gopro mount stuck to it. The other sides of the earplugs are then just superglued to the frame. The other images are of my wing which I re-covered today. This time the tape has actually stuck to the foam so hopefully it will fly waaaay better. I also increased the size of the vertical stabilizers to hopefully stop it from porpoising around the sky. Can't wait to try it out
Might fly even better with the motor straight
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Yer, awful rug choice too...!

:-)
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
No sweat dude .

CJ
Pocket DVR should be here tuesday/wednesday!
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
Didcot, UK, OX11
Joined Sep 2003
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Yogz has a aluminium mount that bends on every landing. So every time we go though the preflight checklist I add "Reset thrust vectoring to zero degrees." Isn't that right Paul?

-Angelos
Angelos is offline Find More Posts by Angelos
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
I was gonna set a fail safe position on the 3 position switch but after watching that vid ill have a play and see if I can make a similar mix for the ff9. I'm sure it's possible.
Simple on the FF9. Just set one of the programmable mixes. Master is set to offset (OFST), Slave set to the Aux channel you have the 3 position switch on, assign it to a spare switch and put in a percentage (say -25%). Whenever you hit the switch it will then move the flight mode into the failsafe bands. - Just check it does this using the Tx monitor in the assistant software. Oh yes - don't worry that the two little bands at the extreme ends of the travel of the mode switch are not actually labelled as failsafe - they do still work. Can double check using the LED module on the aircraft before you air test it.

Malcolm
highviz is online now Find More Posts by highviz
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:03 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Perfect.
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx