HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,147 Posts
I use the VR1400 goggles, and a laptop screen, i find the goggles are ok, but slip away from your face sand let the sun in too much so ill be doing the ski goggle mod to them, resolution wise they are fine.

Wouldnt recommend flying off a screen at all, especially when you forget to turn your screen saver off lol

What to look for in goggles, weight, is the rx intergrated ? I dont like the ones that are. Light blocking properties, theres nowt worse then having blazing sun above your screen to ruin it. Resolution, you wouldnt want to be sat there looking at a naff picture

Quote:
Sorry guys, not been on RCG for a few days and this thread is on page 10!!

In both the Funjet and the Zagi i've got the same cams. It's a KX181
Thats a very crisp rich picture off that cam, i likeit a lot, wicked flying by the way
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:20 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,070 Posts
I use the EVG920 goggles and I used them since the very early beginnings.

-1) the immersion effect is so much greater and it is more enjoyable
-2)no glare on the screen
-3)In my opinion they make you a better pilot because you are FORCED to stay in the cockpit . this means when in emergencies and other mishaps you will react as a pilot not as a pilot-spectator. for example, I lost once a prop on my twinstar, the plane tarted spinning and I could react immediately because I knew in which direction it was spinning. as a spectator, you would have a hard time finding out and it would be too late when you did.
-4) it forces you of being aware of your situation. by not looking up and finding your model all the time, you eventually never get lost..

My friend flies using a screen
-it is a bit of a lump to install (he has an old 19" flat tv)
-he ended up building a cowl to avoid glare, more stuff to do and fix and prepare.
-he never let's go of the standard flying. He only started landing on FPV after a year of flying. he is always landing conventionally.
-He is forever trying to see where his plane is in the sky and he spends half his time flying conventionally .He gets lost all the time ( he is his own spotter).
-Sometimes he blinds himself because his head in in the hood with the screen then he looks up in the sky trying to find his model. he gets blinded and he get the sun spots when he returns to the hood.
-All in all, I don't think he's had a full immersion experience.

On the other hand the only positive advantage is that people around you can enjoy the flight too by looking over your shoulders

I often put him on my "passenger" goggles and he loves it but he cant resist the temptation to look up and find the model.

If you are looking for goggles, they must al least be the 80" and preferably should have a way to control contrast and brightness. make sure all the AV cables are supplied as some are only sold for ipods or similar devices. look up for VIDEO GLASSES 80 on ebay for example to see what is on offer
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, Leicester
Joined Feb 2009
261 Posts
Just a quick note to the new guys (not that i'm massively experienced myself).
There are lots of recommendations for patches and diversity receivers and 100's of pounds worth of equipment.
In my opinion, a good camera is well worth it, there are many links on the main page to cheap outlets. The best and cheapest I have used is from securitycamera2000.com
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/se...0104&x=23&y=19
really nice quality and great colour balance.
With regards to vtx and vrx, not that I use them as they aren't legal,... but theoretically.... you can go at least 3km out without the video dropping on standard 3dbi antennas on a 1000mx vtx.
All of this is on a 35mhz transmitter and receiver too so no need for UHF systems when you start off.
The only mod I made was to lengthen the rx lead to 1/4 wavelength as per this page http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html not even a glitch at 3km out!

just my 2p's worth
tesco is offline Find More Posts by tesco
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:45 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,147 Posts
Totally agree Tesco, start off simple, good camera, good tx and omni antenna. Get bands right, and when the need arises extend antenna length rather than spen sh!tloads on expensive gear. Start easy on the wallet, then get the bug, then become obsessive
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:52 AM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Gotta say I'm loving that this is FPV from a UK perspective. I didn't think it would be, but it's quite exciting/refreshing/liberating.

I'm definitely liking that we're all so (relatively) close together. 1st FPV UK meeting anyone ? I suggest Basingstoke as it seems quite central to everyone here
SouthPawPaul is offline Find More Posts by SouthPawPaul
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:55 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,147 Posts
I wouldnt mind at all, but not for a month at least as im trying to get all 3 birds perfect and tested to the max before a meet
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:10 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,440 Posts
Most UK activity I've ever seen. Nice to see everyone coming out of the woodwork.

I might have to move back
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:15 AM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Most UK activity I've ever seen. Nice to see everyone coming out of the woodwork.

I might have to move back
Where do you actually live? where is Siluria?
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:29 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
+1 for Basingstoke

Where does everyone currently fly FPV from, clubs, parks, farmers fields?
Myself i've never been to a club. when i first got back into RC (about 2 1/2 years ago) i just flew outa parks, and this cow field.
The cow field is my FPV testing ground, if i've got a new plane or a new setup i'll always go there. i know the area like the back of my hand which is handy if there's a problem.
I'm not too keen on trespassing so currently also i'm flying from footpaths.
I've had quite a few members of the public come up and see what i'm doing. Theyre absoultly amazed by whats going on. one guy even started to take pictures with his phone.

I'm up for meeting and bring my 3 FPV planes with me (if i've still got them by then lol) - might have another one

I'll dont mind letting you guys that have never experianced FPV wear my goggles while i fly LOS.

I'll edit post #1 once something has been decided, and keep it up to date with news.

Edit:-
If there's anyone in the basingstoke/reading area that would like to propose a site. we can a)decide upon a site the b) decide upon a date.
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:36 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,147 Posts
I fly from a playing field and anywhere that takes my fancy. Start off takeoff from public land etc but then fly where i want ( not amoung people or in traffic i might add )

Yeah i flew in the playing field once and someone asked if they could look through the goggles as i flew, i just looked at them, after a pause said " how can i fly it when i cant see where it is " ............ the penny then dropped
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
+1 for Basingstoke

Where does everyone currently fly FPV from, clubs, parks, farmers fields?
Myself i've never been to a club. when i first got back into RC (about 2 1/2 years ago) i just flew outa parks, and this cow field.
The cow field is my FPV testing ground, if i've got a new plane or a new setup i'll always go there. i know the area like the back of my hand which is handy if there's a problem.
I'm not too keen on trespassing so currently also i'm flying from footpaths.
I've had quite a few members of the public come up and see what i'm doing. Theyre absoultly amazed by whats going on. one guy even started to take pictures with his phone.

I'm up for meeting and bring my 3 FPV planes with me (if i've still got them by then lol) - might have another one

I'll dont mind letting you guys that have never experianced FPV wear my goggles while i fly LOS.

I'll edit post #1 once something has been decided, and keep it up to date with news.

Edit:-
If there's anyone in the basingstoke/reading area that would like to propose a site. we can a)decide upon a site the b) decide upon a date.
Currently i havent done an FPV flight yet however i'm pretty much ready to go and hope to do my first one this weekend

I'd be up for an FPV meet as it would let me see what kind of setup you guys are using and help me gain some experience. i'm only 16 though so my Dad would have to bring me along though i'm hoping to get him hooked on FPV as well which means he'll spend more money on FPv equipment

I'm guessing that we need somewhere a bit out of the way to have the meeting.
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:53 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,147 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing that we need somewhere a bit out of the way to have the meeting.
Away from wifi hotspots will be best, in the middle of nowhere is great, like permission off a farmer or something, remote, quiet etc but with FPV features
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Darwen
Joined Aug 2007
476 Posts
ditto ghost im up for a meet aswell its quite a good little community going on here saying i think i might struggle for someone near me though lol
mark the shark is offline Find More Posts by mark the shark
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:01 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
google maps

can someone click on this and see if you can edit it. might be a useful tool to find a central spot

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?cli...,33.881836&z=5

If it works i'll put it on post#1 and we can all keep it up to date
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:16 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,147 Posts
Cant place marker on it of my location