Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:35 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
Fpv extreme...

An exhilarating trip to some rugged wild places, with mountains to climb and dive down, nutty clouds to surf and a very long arduous walk to collect a downed plane... camping or woosing out in hotels/ B+B, I've not decided yet...

Sat here with a stinking cold/ verging on flu with a 4 week old back/ neck pain that refuses to budge despite my normally ace back mans efforts and am reviewing memories of last weekend and the possibilities it presents...

So last weekend, as part of my saying NO where I normally say YES and vice-versa I went on a coach trip round the lakes and dales. With 48 OAP's that included my parents ;-) who have invited me along countless times in the past...

Now the last time I was in those there hills was part of my warm up and training for some pretty hectic Munro Bagging in the Cairngorms, And I was dragging huge amounts of gear along the ridges in my Bergan back in 1988.....

THE IDEA

Group of like minded folks.... that'll be you lot then With mixed equipment and aerial vehicles, based in central location with a day in each of the crazy and varied spots. I reckon a week would be best, but I suppose to fit in with work and family maybe a long weekend would be better. Keswick or Kendle as a possible base.

It'll be a long trip for most to get there, and it won't be a place for novices or trying out new rigs.... I havent done serious hill climbing/ mountineering for over 20 years and landing a 100m away one of the cliffs would be a mission for me these days...

BUT... I'm going to do it next summer, changing my whole life for next year... more focus on my day business and deffinately more focus on fun (of which FPV is still the best generator) and it would be a better trip if shared with many...

Your thoughts please?

And ideas on how a multirotor could be utilized for downed plane recovery ;-)

Paul
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:56 PM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
795 Posts
Had a Gopro2 - Never got on with it, i brought the 'Screen Add On' for it, never worked properly, was total junk, Gopro Service was utter rubbish...

Will support someone who looks after the customer!

Ben
www.limeclouds.com
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:16 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogz View Post
An exhilarating trip to some rugged wild places, with mountains to climb and dive down, nutty clouds to surf and a very long arduous walk to collect a downed plane... camping or woosing out in hotels/ B+B, I've not decided yet...

Sat here with a stinking cold/ verging on flu with a 4 week old back/ neck pain that refuses to budge despite my normally ace back mans efforts and am reviewing memories of last weekend and the possibilities it presents...

So last weekend, as part of my saying NO where I normally say YES and vice-versa I went on a coach trip round the lakes and dales. With 48 OAP's that included my parents ;-) who have invited me along countless times in the past...

Now the last time I was in those there hills was part of my warm up and training for some pretty hectic Munro Bagging in the Cairngorms, And I was dragging huge amounts of gear along the ridges in my Bergan back in 1988.....

THE IDEA

Group of like minded folks.... that'll be you lot then With mixed equipment and aerial vehicles, based in central location with a day in each of the crazy and varied spots. I reckon a week would be best, but I suppose to fit in with work and family maybe a long weekend would be better. Keswick or Kendle as a possible base.

It'll be a long trip for most to get there, and it won't be a place for novices or trying out new rigs.... I havent done serious hill climbing/ mountineering for over 20 years and landing a 100m away one of the cliffs would be a mission for me these days...

BUT... I'm going to do it next summer, changing my whole life for next year... more focus on my day business and deffinately more focus on fun (of which FPV is still the best generator) and it would be a better trip if shared with many...

Your thoughts please?

Paul
Well I don't know about using a multi to retrieve planes. But certainly using them to find a downed plane would be good. Anyone got a generator? :P. sounds idyllic but knowing me I'd smash my plane on the walk to the first site and that would be that.

CJ
Carlos230023 is online now Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,234 Posts
Quote:

THE IDEA

Your thoughts please?

Paul

sounds great fun but a week - do you know how much negotiation it takes for an hour or two lols.

re. you downed plane, FMKit has been posting video for his beacon/repeater where a plane fitted with his receiver and audio to the VTx flies around the crash site - within a few km can pick up bleeps. As you get closer, bleeps get louder. very cool!
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:

THE IDEA

Your thoughts please?

Paul
Sounds awesome, Was just talking to some friends about an fpv roadtrip as such.

Could maybe use a multirotor to retrieve a downed plane though would have to be a pretty big rig to not struggle too much, Might be more hassle than its worth. How about someone gets trained properly in climbing/absailing :P
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
Didcot, UK, OX11
Joined Sep 2003
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
sounds great fun but a week - do you know how much negotiation it takes for an hour or two lols.

re. you downed plane, FMKit has been posting video for his beacon/repeater where a plane fitted with his receiver and audio to the VTx flies around the crash site - within a few km can pick up bleeps. As you get closer, bleeps get louder. very cool!
Mike, you'd better start negotiating then! As for the tracking... I don't think it is wise to expect the VTX to work after the plane is down. Every time Paul or I had to retrieve a plane was because the battery was depleted and by the time we got there the VTX was dead too. Much better to have a stand alone waterproof beacon.

Paul,
as I prefer to do more flying and less climbing... how about we pull to a layby somewhere at the mountains in Wales as I suggested to you a few months back and fly from there?

-Angelos
Angelos is offline Find More Posts by Angelos
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
Just put it on the credit card
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2012
338 Posts
It is really strange that the new Fatshark Attitude SD's don't come with a power cable or even a power connector that you can make into a cable. Oh well I will just order the combined power and RCA cable that came with the Dominators...
JaeDubbya is offline Find More Posts by JaeDubbya
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:15 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
Mike, you'd better start negotiating then! As for the tracking... I don't think it is wise to expect the VTX to work after the plane is down. Every time Paul or I had to retrieve a plane was because the battery was depleted and by the time we got there the VTX was dead too. Much better to have a stand alone waterproof beacon.

Paul,
as I prefer to do more flying and less climbing... how about we pull to a layby somewhere at the mountains in Wales as I suggested to you a few months back and fly from there?

-Angelos
I didn't explain it very well. The beacon is in the plane you are going to crash, it runs off a 1s lipo and doesn't transmit until it hears silence for While or after a pre-set time delay so as not to interfere with your UHF systems. The repeater/locator is in your s&r plane and the audio connected to the vtx so you can hear the locator at your base station
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:55 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,023 Posts
http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/14252-cc3d-its-here/

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:21 AM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,126 Posts
Quote:

THE IDEA

Your thoughts please?

Paul
sounds like fun. If I'm still in the country got some great terrain of my own to look forward too.
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:30 AM
Happy Days
Joined Mar 2001
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylite View Post
James

If you did ever order the hoverthings stuff, and sent they to my other address we have a problem.... I'm back
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:43 AM
Dirty Dozen FPV
Joined Aug 2011
2,508 Posts
Hey Dave, its looking likely that i may be joining you in your escape to the US. I've just applied for a inter-company transfer that I'm highly lightly to be accepted for, the job post is basically been made for me :-)

Madison WI though...
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:53 AM
Happy Days
Joined Mar 2001
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
Hey Dave, its looking likely that i may be joining you in your escape to the US. I've just applied for a inter-company transfer that I'm highly lightly to be accepted for, the job post is basically been made for me :-)

Madison WI though...
Nice.
You'll be about 70 miles from my cousin and about and about 50 miles from some of Laura's relatives
Looks like a road trip
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:54 AM
Happy Days
Joined Mar 2001
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post

Madison WI though...
Any jobs in Washington going??
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:21 AM
Dirty Dozen FPV
Joined Aug 2011
2,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post
Nice.
You'll be about 70 miles from my cousin and about and about 50 miles from some of Laura's relatives
Looks like a road trip
Up for that if it all come off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post
Any jobs in Washington going??
Nope the office is in Waterloo near Madison.
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino