SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:51 AM
Got guns that can kill a ghost
Joined Feb 2009
235 Posts
Build Log
Tricked out Hyperion "Grim Reaper"

Okay so I'm going to build an over complicated beast machine fully tricked out 100% bad ass "Grim Reaper" from a used hyperion Susy. Because like an F- you for Christmas my gift is a curse.

so the project goals are:

1) Nice retracts (maybe add shocks)
2) retract tail wheel
3) Gear doors
4) Flaps
5) 30 size electric
6) small various scale mods like rad cooler and maybe airfoil stab.
7) 4 blade vario-prop
8) and of course the grim reaper paint.

hopefully it gets done...no promises but its off to a good start

Of course I'm always open to ideas or suggestions !!

-Gun
Gun Jam is offline Find More Posts by Gun Jam
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:33 AM
AKA Scott
Clovis,Ca.
Joined Sep 2006
674 Posts
my poor old susy has been rode hard and put away wet
n-2-stuff is online now Find More Posts by n-2-stuff
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:11 AM
flight is a state of mind
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2007
88 Posts
I know why it's cursed. The insignia is backwards.
sawchain is offline Find More Posts by sawchain
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:36 AM
Joined Feb 2009
235 Posts
yeah dont you worry about that.

Ill fix her her up nice.

any by gift I meant my building talent...I payed 50 bucks for ol suzy there
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:07 AM
zup
United States, PA, Oakdale
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
dont forget the machine guns!
zup is offline Find More Posts by zup
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
AKA Scott
Clovis,Ca.
Joined Sep 2006
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchain View Post
I know why it's cursed. The insignia is backwards.
thanks for telling me gun
n-2-stuff is online now Find More Posts by n-2-stuff
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2009
235 Posts
Okay yeah the MGs!

I was always too busy worrying about you stuffing it into my car at 120 to remember to tell you about your upside down stars and bars
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2009
235 Posts
Okay so got some stuff done today.

Buffed that crap out...Now its ready for paint. It will be chrome Im thinking Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome any suggestions? I hear it works great and should be applied to mirror smooth gloss black enamel.

Buffed that out too....Scott is a great pilot but don't bother him with lame details like putting the wheels down when you are fixing to land. He thinks that's the biggest joke. Forget to put them down? Hell no it just pisses him off when something aint broke

hell yeah!

Wing is pretty much done minus small details like servos and covering.

-Gun
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:33 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Nice work on the landing gear Gun.

How are you closing the inboard doors?
I just finished installing retracts and doors on my F-100, always looking for different ways guys worked out similar problems.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:12 PM
Joined Feb 2009
235 Posts
On my last P51 (See similar threads below) I spent hrs trying to do them smart the best answer was to do them dumb. I simply run a separate channel for the doors and the doors get their own servo. You just gotta remember doors before gear...or gear before doors depending on the situation

trying to time them mechanically is impossible as far as I can tell...What solutions have you seen?

-Gun
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:39 PM
zup
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Jam View Post
On my last P51 (See similar threads below) I spent hrs trying to do them smart the best answer was to do them dumb. I simply run a separate channel for the doors and the doors get their own servo. You just gotta remember doors before gear...or gear before doors depending on the situation

trying to time them mechanically is impossible as far as I can tell...What solutions have you seen?

-Gun
there are electronic gear sequencers. i seen them priced between 36 and 80 dollors.the foam P-51 tread has some info on them.
zup
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2009
235 Posts
Right I have heard of those and I they would indeed work great but Im the only one who pilots these and For 36 bucks ill just flip a switch

One thing Im trying to hunt down now is small shock absorbers that would fit to 1/8th or 3/16ths wire for the main gear. I have seen some that fit at the very end and the wheel attaches to them. They were the perfect size and simple (a round cylinder piston type setup with a spring in the middle) I really need something that I could install mid strut rather than one where the wheel attaches to the end of it due to clearance issues in the wheel wells.

Thanks for the idea/ suggestions!!

-Gun
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:13 AM
zup
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
gun
theres a number of spring loaded struts you can buy. i put a set of robarts in one. they look nice and do improve the ground handling but add quite a bit of weight. for loooks you,d probley be better going with some plastic strut covers. lookin good so far. theres a long thread on the hyperian P-51 with lots of mods and tips.
zup
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:56 AM
Joined Feb 2009
235 Posts
I was more concerned with functionality for the struts. I saw some on HobbyChitty that look good. I want to reduce bounce and reduce shock load on sturt wires to reduce risk of bending them.

Here is the ones I was looking at

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=4681

These maybe a bit long...Im not sure how they measured them. But reviews indicate they work well and I think they could be modded to work.

I saw a nice set at the local field Ill have to ask who made them. These would attached right to the 1/8th strut wire.

Thanks again

-Gun
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:48 AM
zup
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Jam View Post
I was more concerned with functionality for the struts. I saw some on HobbyChitty that look good. I want to reduce bounce and reduce shock load on sturt wires to reduce risk of bending them.

-Gun
well a hard enuf landing you will still bend that 1 inch piece of 1/8 wire between the retract and the strut. it looks like your using robart mechanicals.i drilled them out to take 5/32 wire and still would bend that. i finally cut the shanks off 5/32 drill bits and used that. the more weight ya add the hotter it,s gonna land increasing your chances of dorked landings.
to be fair the one i had struts on was a porker tho. between fiberglass repairs,reciever battery,scratchbuilt wing which was heavyer and struts it weighted 6 lbs.
one other suggestion.ya might cover the balsa sheeting around the wheelwells and the gear doors with some 1 oz fiberglass cloth and 20 min finish expoy to stiffin that up.
zup