SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:33 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
LOL hurry up. Im waiting on your build before I order all my parts. Do you think this would be good for a motor mount? I want to reverse mount it like my 3dhs planes. I was thinking of just trying nylon spaces but this seems like to big a plane to do that right?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5316
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:12 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,989 Posts
On the servo extensions. 24'' for servos mounted in tail is more than enough with the hitecs im using and the receiver can be mounted at the wing tube or in front of it.. 12'' from servo case to tip of connector but check the actual length of wire for the servos you will be using. The hitec wires are long enough for the receiver connectors to exit into the fuselage a few inches and 8'' servo extensions will give you some added fudge factor for receiver placement. 8'' extension for esc should be enough but dont have my esc yet. For rudder pull pull servo 8'' will be plenty but 12'' will give you more fudge factor on receiver placement.

I cant really say what motor mount will work best for you(motor bolt patterns and lengths of the can will vary among manufacturers,the hyperion cage mounts are what many use for outrunners on planes like this and there very adjust able for various motors,this will be my first plane of this size and in the past when changing firewall design for nitro and electric use in planes ive made my own motor mounts to the length that was needed.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:50 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,989 Posts
1Radioflyer,the hiccups happen sometimes. The manual is ok for people with prior arf experience and its usually a good idea to proof read any manual before beginning assembly incase anythings inconsistent. The manual is mostly pictures without much text and it could be slipstream made a revision to the kit and added a extra hinge for each aileron but didnt reflect it in the manual or maybe i just got a couple extra hinges? Either way i just thought id share how the assembly was going. The stab and elevator not being pre slotted was minor but could be more difficult for some and slow there assembly,i have an exacto and it just takes some patience but a hinge slot cutter that cuts perfect at the bevel easily would of came in handy .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,767 Posts
Good job on the build thread.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:04 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,989 Posts
Orders coming in from multiple vendors last just cut things a little to close to get everything here this week,i did give myself and extra week for a maiden time frame though but it would of been nice to have everything done and fly it this weekend. Servos were installed yesterday and radio set up is all done. Rough cg with finger tips and a 12oz can of pop(shows 13.4oz on scale)for outrunner weight,3.1 oz lipo to represent esc weight(esc listed at 2oz),prop taped to front of cowl and another 3oz lipo being conservative to give rough motor mount weight put the cg around 148-150mm but im waiting to get a accurate measurement with the gear that will be in the plane and a cg stand. A buddy has a cg stand and i'll get an accurate cg when i finish the plane up and snap some pics. I'll update the thread with some assembly tips and pics later.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:33 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,989 Posts
Servo Install And Tips

Couple of tips on the set up for servos and control surfaces. The control surface hardware uses phillips head machine screws and is visible on the top of control surfaces. The threads are fine so they wont countersink themselves easily,you can countersink them and then cover with trimcote.. trim cote was fine for me without a covering iron(can always do that later as well)and use some of the extra covering that comes with the plane. On the pull pull for rudder a little excess cable after you loop it and crimp the brass tubes is good,you can cover up the assembly with some heat shrink tubing for a cleaner look. For ball links and control rod hardware if it has a little binding a pair of needlenose pliers will free it up with a light pinch or two,theyll ware in but its easy to eliminate any added resistance before you install them. Using the stock hitec double end servo arms i was able to get 45 degrees of deflection on all surfaces and upped the elevator throw to 60 degrees but left enough gap in the hinges for no binding and maximum deflection and cut the other end off the double side servo arms for a cleaner look.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 08:30 AM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Boy I like green planes...yours looks awesome Real. Keepa goin' - want to see that baby hovering below grade soon!
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:22 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Yea Real, good to see you putting together another plane.
Let me know when you want to sell it

Coo
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:14 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,989 Posts
Really like the color scheme on this one,below grade? That doesnt sound good.. i stood on the garage and flew in the yard with a foamie and did some hovering once a few inches above the grass.. is that considered below grade hovering? . The mxs is to big to fly in the yard though .

Coo.. you cant have it,there are many like it but this one is mine . If anything i may swap power systems later down the road after i fly it electric a little if your interested. A 30cc motor makes nice sounds and a smoke system would rock.. sort of like my chainsaws,speaking of.. dont you need some pesky trees cut up that are out front? Id have to cut down every tree on the block here so i could fly it out front.. you only have a few that would be in the way .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:21 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
I recall seein' a few videos with your Slick deep down inside a ditch somewhere. Not sure a 72 inch is gonna fit though...
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:10 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,989 Posts
Hopefully the rest of the stuff gets here this week to finish the build and i can try making the mxs fit in the ditch sometime soon but the first few flights will be calm flying and checking out the set up and going over the airframe and some onboard video stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:48 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,989 Posts
Got my castle ice 100 today. Aztec Aeromodels has free shipping this week,cant beat a plane in this size class for $300.00 shipped .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:03 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Got my castle ice 100 today. Aztec Aeromodels has free shipping this week,cant beat a plane in this size class for $300.00 shipped .
Oh Man Just too soon to pull the trigger Man I wish I would hit the lottery

God Bless Ya,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
All my surfaces came with hinge slots already. They must have forgot to do yours. Also did you have to put a 90 degree angle in your tail gear or did yours come done already? I thought it was odd it wasnt in the instructions and wasnt done. This is such a good looking plane by the way people. It also feels very solid.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:29 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
All my surfaces came with hinge slots already. They must have forgot to do yours. Also did you have to put a 90 degree angle in your tail gear or did yours come done already? I thought it was odd it wasnt in the instructions and wasnt done. This is such a good looking plane by the way people. It also feels very solid.
you have to create the 90 degree bend. pretty easy to do.

I also thought it was odd that the OP's hinge slots weren't pre done by the factory.

Bigwood, glad you like the MXS kit. put up some pics when you get started.

I'm LOVING my EG Aircraft 50cc MX-2. Its awesome to see a big plane flying around like this. The 70 slipstreams are just as impressive.

Regarding the Slipstream line of 26% planes, I really feel that the $299 price point, even up to $350 for a full carbon kit, is a very nice sweet spot that I wish other top tier vendors would price out their planes at. They certainly would sell more kits.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38