SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2010, 02:27 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Help!
Large plastic rubber model props?

Ahem! Customers are complaining when we cant supply the 'correct' props for the larger rubber kits: I can source up to 10" plastic but does anyone still make 12" or upwards?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2010, 08:41 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Never saw anything as large as that. Most of my old kits had bandsaw-cut balsa props, apparently a lost art. I still have a couple around, and they work better than most plastic props I have used. Is hat the answer? Set up a balsa prop cutter? I would be surprised if there wasn't a market for them; not big (nothing in large balsa models represents a big market, but a market just the same...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:38 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Here you go!

http://www.samsmodels.com/acatalog/S...ropellors.html
http://hobbyspecialties.com/product_...products_id=33

Sam's Models is supposedly very good. Hobby Specialties has absolutely fantastic customer service and do a great job with their products.

I've gathered these ^^^ opinions from the general concensus on other forums. I have not bought from either one though...sorry.

HTH,
PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Last edited by PiperCub49; Jun 10, 2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:26 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Well yes, I talk to George at Sams almost daily, but he only has 10" props. in PLASTIC.

not 12".

I think its time for a series of laminated balsa prop kits..

Takes the sting out of hand carving, anyway.

Those pre made props are a bit of a rip off.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:39 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
I see. You are looking for plastic props.

If you are saying that the hand-carved props at Hobby Specialties are rip offs, try to put yourself in Allen's position. What would your asking price be if you spent hours carving away at blocks of laminated wood for somebody else's plane? Surely it wouldn't be my choice to buy a prop from there. I would make one myself; but the quality there is "schmicko", if you recall...

I see both sides...

-PC49
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:43 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Take a look here: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...ic,3899.0.html (Hope this isn't against the rules. If so, I appologize. Let me know and I will remove it.)

A2Z has a 12" Ikarus prop. Not sure if that's what your after.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:05 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
The largest plastic I carry is the 11" blue prop. It's the largest plastic I have found. Except for the 12" Ikara prop for indoor models.
Link: http://tailspinaviation.com/html/pro...prop_s_13.html

They come from A2Z.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Jun 11, 2010, 06:34 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1 View Post
Well yes, I talk to George at Sams almost daily, but he only has 10" props. in PLASTIC.

not 12".

I think its time for a series of laminated balsa prop kits..

Takes the sting out of hand carving, anyway.

Those pre made props are a bit of a rip off.
Vintage,
I have been meaning to e-mail you about this ever since I laser cut a few of your "E" props. I cut a few out of balsa and kept thinking about doing some for rubber. I think is would be a great idea if you came up with a few props kits.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:26 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I've tried just about every kind of prop, including laminates. I draw your attention back to bandsaw cut for kits. They are cheap to make, light, and, properly sanded to shape, just as efficient as any plastic job. Covered in tissue works very well, silk or nylon takes away the fragility. Okay, now I'll sit down and shut up...
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:54 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
My two cents worth......

...... is that a hand carved prop is the way to go, take a look at my thread, the SE 5 one on the FF forum, at the bottom of P.1, there is a picture of a hand carved balsa prop I whipped out in an hr or so, & since its been since the 60s since I last carved a prop, Id say I could do it in much less time time next time......

There is a company in the S.E. of this (USA) country that sells the ban sawed blanks, finnished props, Supirior propellers, I think its called. Thay advertise in Flying Modles magazine......

Well, dinners on the table, call me anything you want, but please dont call me LATE FOR DINNER!

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:19 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Last night while I.....

.....tried to get sleepy, I read my Flying Models mag., I found the Superior props add. & they are so Old School they dont have a web site .....

Thier snail-mail address is:

Superior Props
516 Driftwood Ciecle,
Slidell, LA,70458

Thier telephone # is: (985) 726-9673

The add claims to have, Balsa, Rubber Power Props
Wide Veriaty Sizes & Piches
:FREE WHEELING :
right or left hand; 3 & 4 blade
: FOLDING :

etc. etc. etc. send a dollar for catalog

Its not that I really remember them from the 60s, when I last did P30, & Wakefield, A1 nordic, etc. (although I think that I do), its that I have vintage magazines that old, & the add. hasnt changed at all......

These folks have stood the test of time.....

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:45 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I know that balsa is better than sp(l)astic.

Try telling my customers that when they insist that a 'proper KK ACE KIT ' has a 12" plastic prop, so can they have one please? Or their money back?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:17 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Now I get it! Finding the molds for that prop could be a bit of a bitch, eh? Do you have an example of that prop? If so, it may be possible to find a low-production plastics company that could help. My experience with the UK leads me to believe you could have some success; after all, I found a guy who casts Singer 1500 cylinder heads over there!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:47 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,955 Posts
I'm trying to think as a kit manufacturer....

The "typical" purchaser of a laser cut kit doesn't like cutting very much...in fact he/she actually pays to get away from swinging the X-acto.....I am not certain whether this is entirely true or not, but if it is, putting a pre-cut prop kit in the box, doesn't look like a good idea, as this requires a lot of carving - which, logically, contradicts to the basic sales argument for laser kits.....
Following the basic idea with "easy-assemble" kits, a plastic prop would be the most appropriate, but -again - where to find the larger dimensions...?...

Hmm...
I just try to see this from a kitmakers point of view....personally I love prop carving (I'm just into the re-learning process...more on this later)

Laser cut prop kits, for lamination & carving.
A better idea may be to sell the prop kits as separate items, optional for the kit customer, but at the same time available to all enthusiasts...scratch- or kit builders....
Too many vintage rubber models suffer from too small props....
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jun 13, 2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:47 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,955 Posts
Everyone should carve a prop.. :)

As I mentioned above, I am in the re-learning process of prop carving.....and it's a great experience that I recommend to anyone....

As a young lad, several of the kits that came my way included just a balsa block + the prop blank outlines shown on the plan, no more...
Beeing a young impatient kid, this obviously didn't provide any fuel to my building eager......although I did struggle, with my blunt tools, hand drill etc. I also had some help by books from the library...
However, the typical result was, at best......just a mediocre prop...

Many a sun-lap later, I have given this a new chance though, with far better results....it is great fun, and like Laramie says, carving a prop is a fairly quick process...
For those of you that have never tried, I say: Just go on and do it ! You may be hooked...

Some photos:
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jun 13, 2010 at 10:59 AM.