HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Granted, one can't compare E-Sky and Walkera to the more expensive fare, but for learning to fly, I'd rather bang around an inexpensive model because I know it will me cost less (and has) to fix it.

To me yeah cost less to fix, but also the ease of setting it up
I am not giving up on the CP, but adding a FP to my things to fly.
And I would compare walkera to Esky to E-flight etc. Not price so much but quality, dependability and durability.

1. Brushless is a must, (think flight hours)
2. single motor is a must (think of how each motor varies in output)
3. how much a certain heli needs little mods (when it comes to replacing one I don't want to have to go through repeat mods) pull it out stock and go.
4 price is last as in getting what I want is >price within reason

on the CB180 I don't understand why they didn't just put the motor on the tail. If they are going to use 2 motors anyways. Other than for better balance.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:42 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I usually prefer to select heli's if they come brushless as stock but brushed motors dont generally bother me too much either. A few years ago I started the habit of adding Esky heat sinks to my brushed motors right from the start. I fit 2 too each motor if they fit. Sometimes they need a little cutting down depending on the heli.

Link- http://www.esky-heli.com/index.php?m...otor+heat+sink

I have not burnt out a brushed main motor on my HM38, DF4, or CB180 either. In a perfect world I guess all heli's would come brushless, but if you can reduce heat in a brushed motor they can last quite a long time as well.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:56 AM
Joined Apr 2009
745 Posts
That was a nice reveiw but there are a couple things I noticed it says the fins are carbon fiber they are plastic with a carbon fiber faux film on them. Also I dont know why but the blades are as brittle as a egg shell, the coax lower blades from a 53#1 fit and are 10 times better. The main gear is fragile and does not take hardly anything to strip it. And even though they say it fly's just like a coax it does not, it is close but not near as stable and to be quite honest my brushless 53#1 can beat the pants of my brushless 180D in a forward race. If you compare the walkera radio to lets say the LP5 on the CX2 the walkera fails several ways, The CX2 radio will fly over the length of a football field the walkera 60' maybe a little more if your lucky. The spektrum radio binds once the walkera has to bind everytime you turn it on. The 180z has all kinds of problems as well and for the extra money may not be worth it. Walkera has some nice looking heli's and there easy to mod but when you buy one you almost have too here is mine...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229031
Flight time is offline Find More Posts by Flight time
Last edited by Flight time; Jul 20, 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,066 Posts
I finally gave up on this piece of crap!
After about 1 month of really trying and being careful, reading forums,
watching videos on youtube and asking folks for help and info. (and I think they have been VERY helpful)
I'm unable to fly it outside in Zero wind without crashing if I try to fly just a little bit fast.
I've gone through almost $125 in parts and shipping repairing it after
8 crashes now.
Each crash takes out the main blades and usually the tail blades.
I've also lost just about everything else across those 8 crashes.
All 8 have happened the same way or very similar and Each and every crash
I can not account for what did it other than it happens soon as I try to get the
thing moving anything faster than very gentle forward flight.
Any other heli I've flown when it crashes I know exactly what *I* did that caused it.
And I've crashed a lot with the coaxials and the sim and my early attempts at the CP.
Once moving at a nice speed (10+MPH) As soon as I try to turn or slow down or anything it seems I find it's
completely out of control and slamming into the ground.
If I keep it very slow and gentle (like a coaxial) it stays under control but this is
not really much fun.
Please read on:

I've owned an Esky Belt CP v2(450 size) and Esky Hunter(coaxial) for over 2 years.

I've become reasonably good on the Esky Hunter Coaxial.
I have it modified quite a bit and it can go about 15MPH in Forward flight outdoors. and is still flyable indoors although the controls are very sensitive.

I Crashed the CP early on because it was well above my skillset and came
from the factory not setup properly and truly ready to fly which made it even harder to hover.
Flying quite a bit on a sim (Clearview) had me falsely convinced that I could
fly a CP helicopter since I could fly all of them quite nicely in the sim.

I have recently fixed up the the Belt CP v2 (properly) and now actually have it
ready to fly and have been doing hover practice and small circuits near the ground with the training balls on it. Doing much better and have not crashed in two weeks mainly due to this choice of very cautious and relatively safe training
method :-)

::2-2-2012::
I made the bad mistake of quickly reading 'reviews' on the CB180D and bought one from XHeli as an RTF package for $150+tax+shipping as I was purchasing the parts to fix up the BeltCP V2.

The reviews all looked good (I spent an entire 1/2 hour researching)
And I figured (just like everyone seemed to be saying) that it would be a nice practice heli to get me ready to try the CP again, or work my way up to that point.

Something a little more challenging than the coaxial, but not as hard as the CP.

I've setup the Heli nicely.. tried all of the flybar tap settings 1,2,3 (3 most response), and have turned the extent all the way up.

I can hover it very nicely tail-in, nose-in and can fly slow circuits indoors
and with absolutely Zero wind outdoors.

In 3-5 Mph wind I'm full stick to keep it from blowing away..
This is usual expected not a problem and has given me lots of practice flying or actually just hovering in the wind because it's almost always at least that windy here and very rarely is it that calm so I don't get a whole lot of time to fly it outside.

I can fly it indoors but I have it set very touchy now and I don't have much space
available to fly it indoors so I'm limited to keeping it slow.

And as you may have read above.. when I go outdoors AND I have zero wind
I can fly it outside but only if I keep it really slow and gentle.
The moment I try to sport it a bit and get it moving it's out of control and not recoverable.

My modified coaxial can handle a little more wind than this (not much more)
but a little more, and I can fly it a LOT faster than stock (15MPH top) and turn and dive and climb and do all sorts of rather fun things that I cannot do with the 180D.

I've several other threads on my problems with this heli and others here have been VERY helpful to me in pointing out both some things I've needed to learn
and some reasons why this is NOT a good helicopter design.

The iceing on the cake that makes this even a further real disappointment for me is that the Heli has a VERY Limited range of about 60feet.. This is about HALF of the range I am comfortable flying my Esky Hunter at and do all the time.

I have range tested the Esky Hunter and BeltCP V2 at well over 1000Feet on the ground and both of those are very reliable at such range.
(DON'T ASK) unless you're really interested in radios but it works.

My CB180D goes out of range at 50-60 feet cuts out.

Please see my other posts in relation to this Helicopter if interested.

Crashing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618431

Poor Radio Range: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621681

And unless you're crazy DO NOT BUY this thing!!! Xheli and other are still selling these things even though they were discontinued ages ago!
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yard Work
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,066 Posts
I would have thought the extremely brittle blades (feature) were nice, however I keep having to replace the main gear after crashes due to broken/stripped teeth.. and I'm DAMN good and throttling down before it hits.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8LBV View Post
I finally gave up on this piece of crap!
After about 1 month of really trying and being careful, reading forums,
watching videos on youtube and asking folks for help and info. (and I think they have been VERY helpful)
I'm unable to fly it outside in Zero wind without crashing if I try to fly just a little bit fast.
I've gone through almost $125 in parts and shipping repairing it after
8 crashes now.
Each crash takes out the main blades and usually the tail blades.
I've also lost just about everything else across those 8 crashes.
All 8 have happened the same way or very similar and Each and every crash
I can not account for what did it other than it happens soon as I try to get the
thing moving anything faster than very gentle forward flight.
Any other heli I've flown when it crashes I know exactly what *I* did that caused it.
And I've crashed a lot with the coaxials and the sim and my early attempts at the CP.
Once moving at a nice speed (10+MPH) As soon as I try to turn or slow down or anything it seems I find it's
completely out of control and slamming into the ground.
If I keep it very slow and gentle (like a coaxial) it stays under control but this is
not really much fun.
Please read on:

I've owned an Esky Belt CP v2(450 size) and Esky Hunter(coaxial) for over 2 years.

I've become reasonably good on the Esky Hunter Coaxial.
I have it modified quite a bit and it can go about 15MPH in Forward flight outdoors. and is still flyable indoors although the controls are very sensitive.

I Crashed the CP early on because it was well above my skillset and came
from the factory not setup properly and truly ready to fly which made it even harder to hover.
Flying quite a bit on a sim (Clearview) had me falsely convinced that I could
fly a CP helicopter since I could fly all of them quite nicely in the sim.

I have recently fixed up the the Belt CP v2 (properly) and now actually have it
ready to fly and have been doing hover practice and small circuits near the ground with the training balls on it. Doing much better and have not crashed in two weeks mainly due to this choice of very cautious and relatively safe training
method :-)

::2-2-2012::
I made the bad mistake of quickly reading 'reviews' on the CB180D and bought one from XHeli as an RTF package for $150+tax+shipping as I was purchasing the parts to fix up the BeltCP V2.

The reviews all looked good (I spent an entire 1/2 hour researching)
And I figured (just like everyone seemed to be saying) that it would be a nice practice heli to get me ready to try the CP again, or work my way up to that point.

Something a little more challenging than the coaxial, but not as hard as the CP.

I've setup the Heli nicely.. tried all of the flybar tap settings 1,2,3 (3 most response), and have turned the extent all the way up.

I can hover it very nicely tail-in, nose-in and can fly slow circuits indoors
and with absolutely Zero wind outdoors.

In 3-5 Mph wind I'm full stick to keep it from blowing away..
This is usual expected not a problem and has given me lots of practice flying or actually just hovering in the wind because it's almost always at least that windy here and very rarely is it that calm so I don't get a whole lot of time to fly it outside.

I can fly it indoors but I have it set very touchy now and I don't have much space
available to fly it indoors so I'm limited to keeping it slow.

And as you may have read above.. when I go outdoors AND I have zero wind
I can fly it outside but only if I keep it really slow and gentle.
The moment I try to sport it a bit and get it moving it's out of control and not recoverable.

My modified coaxial can handle a little more wind than this (not much more)
but a little more, and I can fly it a LOT faster than stock (15MPH top) and turn and dive and climb and do all sorts of rather fun things that I cannot do with the 180D.

I've several other threads on my problems with this heli and others here have been VERY helpful to me in pointing out both some things I've needed to learn
and some reasons why this is NOT a good helicopter design.

The iceing on the cake that makes this even a further real disappointment for me is that the Heli has a VERY Limited range of about 60feet.. This is about HALF of the range I am comfortable flying my Esky Hunter at and do all the time.

I have range tested the Esky Hunter and BeltCP V2 at well over 1000Feet on the ground and both of those are very reliable at such range.
(DON'T ASK) unless you're really interested in radios but it works.

My CB180D goes out of range at 50-60 feet cuts out.

Please see my other posts in relation to this Helicopter if interested.

Crashing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618431

Poor Radio Range: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621681

And unless you're crazy DO NOT BUY this thing!!! Xheli and other are still selling these things even though they were discontinued ages ago!
I know this thread is old,but got to put in my two cents worth ! I bought a used madhawk 300 for $30 and fixed it up. it hovers nice inside,but i took it outside and when it got no more than 45 or 50 feet away i had no control.was just hovering and gently going forward and backward. no radio control and it sat down on a fence,broke blades no worries,fixed it fly's great in house.but the radio or rx range is ridiculous is it not ?? i read the rx was to close to motor but on this one there is at 3/4 of an inch between motor and rx.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, AL, Morris
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
The review is a little old, but the CB180D is still being sold, and I recently bought one, so what the heck...I might as well chime in.

I bought the CB180D as a complete newbie. I have never flown an rc helicopter in my life. The review was very accurate, but I must say, learning has been frustrating and challenging. The ads say it's as easy to fly as a co-axle, a statement I do not think is true. The videos make it look so easy, and it is being sold as appropriate for beginners, something I think might be a bit of a stretch. I think the review did touch on this a bit, but I would emphasize that there is quite a learning curve, at least for me.

Now, after several weeks, I am hovering, doing basic patterns, and landing safely as long as there is zero wind. I’m getting a little better everyday, and crashes are rare and usually without damage, unlike at first.

Long story short, I'm hooked and will probably be buying another heli soon, but I do like the CB180d. It's been very challenging to learn on, but I am kind of glad I skipped the coax and went with this one. Looking at the videos, it is clear this heli is capable of doing LOT more than I can do with it now, so I doubt if I will outgrow it anytime soon.
steveap1 is offline Find More Posts by steveap1
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,066 Posts
Hello steveap1:
I'd be very interested in hearing a progress report on you and your 180D if you still are flying it.
It's been a few months and I imagine the both of us have been through a lot since April!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, AL, Morris
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8LBV View Post
Hello steveap1:
I'd be very interested in hearing a progress report on you and your 180D if you still are flying it.
It's been a few months and I imagine the both of us have been through a lot since April!
I still have the 180D. I learned on it, and of course replaced lots of parts. Then I did the tail motor upgrade, which turned out to be a bad move. The motor on the tail adds too much weight, and I can't add enough trim to make up for it. The shop that sold me the kit told me to modify the battery holder and slide the battery forward...still didn't work. It constantly drifts backwards.

I got tired of screwing with it and bought a Blade 120sr, then picked up several more Blade models which I fly regularly.

I'll probably get my 180D back to stock form with the shaft driven tail and center mounted tail motor...maybe fly it some more. It works well for the kind of non 3D, slow flying I do, and it's a nice looking heli, but does have problems, most notably the main gear. And forget about the stock blades, they will break if you just look at them wrong.
steveap1 is offline Find More Posts by steveap1
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:52 AM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveap1 View Post
I still have the 180D. I learned on it, and of course replaced lots of parts. Then I did the tail motor upgrade, which turned out to be a bad move. The motor on the tail adds too much weight, and I can't add enough trim to make up for it. The shop that sold me the kit told me to modify the battery holder and slide the battery forward...still didn't work. It constantly drifts backwards.

I got tired of screwing with it and bought a Blade 120sr, then picked up several more Blade models which I fly regularly.

I'll probably get my 180D back to stock form with the shaft driven tail and center mounted tail motor...maybe fly it some more. It works well for the kind of non 3D, slow flying I do, and it's a nice looking heli, but does have problems, most notably the main gear. And forget about the stock blades, they will break if you just look at them wrong.
I did the tail mod also. Had to add weight to the nose to get the cg correct. You might want to add weight, only drawback is it makes the total weight go up and makes the brushed motor work that much harder. I too may go back to the original setup and see if I can get this to fly better. I'm still a newbie so crashing is my forte. The only reson I went to the dd tail motor was because the original setup gear drive strips to easy, but that is more than likely pilot error.
Do you guys know of any other mods that have helped you along the way. I heard of a flybar mod, but could never find any information on it.
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:28 PM
Eastern Washington State
Joined Sep 2002
118 Posts
I've been adding nose weight for CG correction to helis for a couple of decades. No biggie there. Change in disk loading in pretty minimal. On the micros, I typically use a slightly larger battery mounted forward for the balance correction.

On the 180D I'm going to try the lighter HM-5#10-Z-02 flybar weights. Thinking this will give a nice compromise between stability and maneuverability.

Also, although this isn't CB180D related, thinking of putting the Walkera RX2610S into an older FP 90 degree flybar heli (similar to Honey Bee). Never run out of things to try.
bearwash is offline Find More Posts by bearwash
Last edited by bearwash; Jul 29, 2012 at 08:06 PM.