HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:32 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Walkera HM CB180D - MANY problems with mine...

I finally gave up on mine after approx 30 flights. First the frame broke near the battery compartment, then the battery went out, then I lost control because screws came out of the head asm, then the main motor burned out, then a servo quit during a flight and it dropped and broke the aluminum head asm and that did it! I dropped it all in the trash can and somewhere in NC in a dump it lies like a piece of useless junk. I forgot... the range on the transmitter was exactly 60 ft and I would lose all control. One might say don't fly father than 60 ft, that is a bunch of crap and you all know it. Bottom line, it was a very impressive looking helicopter, including the Tx, however it turned out to be nothing but a cheap toy. Buyer BEWARE!!!
cphdrider is online now Find More Posts by cphdrider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:44 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,689 Posts
Many are finding quality is lacking and engineering falls in the "What were they thinking category?" I dumped mine in about 2 weeks. I couldn't sell it to anyone with a clear conscience.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:51 AM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
I like the review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
This heli has already been replaced by the CB180Z. It has too many issues. The motors wear out easily and the shaft drive tail draws too much power and breaks very easily. The location of the tail drive motor causes too much heat and friction. There is an aftermarket upgrade to replace the tail drive with an HBCP V3 direct drive tail motor, that most have used. The CB180Z uses a brushless main motor with a variable-pitch, shaft drive tail rotor, (no tail motor) to address these problems. It also has the new 3 axis gyro, which serves no particular purpose, on this heli.

The heli lacks much movement authority. But, I think you have already touched on that. The CB180Z does not correct this, it's inherent to the 45 offset head design.

But, it's an excellently put together review.
good review wish ii had a link to the really good hellis I could post it.
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:52 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
Nice review.

While I have been considering this particular model for the past ten days or so, I am glad to have found your reviw so informatively helpful.

While I was ready to order it next Tuesday, your indication of its very limited radio range (Minuses: Transmitter range is relatively short at an estimated 60 feet) has talked me out of it altogether.

I'll keep looking for something with better radio range than this heli.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:18 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Nice review.

i'll keep looking for something with better radio range than this heli.
If you fly Walkera, try looking for an RTF package that contains a 2801pro TX so you get it at a good price. That will solve your range issues. Then just buy BNF Walkera Heli's. Regards the CB180, ive got no complaints. Its been a lot of fun for me. Ive broken a couple of blades(nothing unusual there), and replaced the tail motor once(Brushed motor to be expected). Great value heli which can be had for under $100 BNF. The CB180 is a good little orientation trainer like the CB100. No complaints here.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:48 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
If you fly Walkera, try looking for an RTF package that contains a 2801pro TX so you get it at a good price. That will solve your range issues. Then just buy BNF Walkera Heli's. Regards the CB180, ive got no complaints. Its been a lot of fun for me. Ive broken a couple of blades(nothing unusual there), and replaced the tail motor once(Brushed motor to be expected). Great value heli which can be had for under $100 BNF. The CB180 is a good little orientation trainer like the CB100. No complaints here.
I was considering it as an alternative to my MSR, which I fly outdoors once in a while early in the am if the winds are rather calm.

The size and weight of this particular one appeared to be "right" for that task under less than calm winds in the front or back yard; the range and a few other issues I read in some replies here turned me off to it. BTW, I cut my heli teeth flying Walkera products, and while not the in the same class with ALIGN and others I own, the Walkeras have always served me well.

Your idea of seeking out the 2801 PRO tranny is a good one, but price may put this purchase on par with higher class helis of this type. I just don't want to have to experience the issues I had the the Blade SR, which although had nothing to do with radio range, were too many for me to enumerate here.

Horizon has always been great to me; the SR, IMHO, was put on the market before most (if not all) its bugs were fully worked out, not to mention the lack of spare parts for it, even from Horizon itself. The BSR $200 purchase turned into a better than $300 nightmare. In the end, I sold it here for $100 RTF (AS IS) with many spares and a warning to its potential purchaser.

The demo video in this review made this heli look tempting, I think I'll keep looking for something else. I am glad this review was here to save me potential additional heli headachess that I don't need/want.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:28 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Does any one else get tired of these reviews, being more like advertisements focusing on the positive, ignoring the problems and cons?

To me the entirety of a review shouldn't be to exaggerate and sound like a sales pitch.... or rather to influence readers one way or the other.

As in reviews should be simply left at reviews, here is what comes out of the box. Here is the good along with the bad.

why are most of theses RCgroup reviews based on a single Item, instead of pulling 5 out of their boxes. and saying 5/5 came out with unbalanced blades. 1/5 had twitchy servos out of the box or a twitchy servo. 5/5 had great flying characteristics.

sorry but the part of the review blowing of the brushed motors was wow....
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:34 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Anyways, I stumbled across this looking for info on the Ufly, or the HM 200...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:22 PM
RCGroups FPV channel Editor
United States, OH, North Royalton
Joined Jul 2009
4,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
why are most of theses RCgroup reviews based on a single Item, instead of pulling 5 out of their boxes. and saying 5/5 came out with unbalanced blades. 1/5 had twitchy servos out of the box or a twitchy servo. 5/5 had great flying characteristics.

sorry but the part of the review blowing of the brushed motors was wow....
Hmmmm... Ive never seen a review from any company, magazine, or website where they take five of an identical product and compare each one for continuity. You make it seem like RCGroups is the only one NOT doing this. Its economically unfeasable and I doubt any company would like the idea of sending out five of their expensive widgets for us to basically QA their assembly line.

And where in the review did I "blow a brushed motor"?

One more thing while I'm on a rant
You said I didnt do a "heres the good with the bad" style of review?
Im having doubts that you read the review.
I recall saying:
1. the range is bad
2. the performance in even a slight wind is less than stellar
3. I touched on the unconventional tail motor and beveled gears, but noted that even if they are frowned upon by the masses, mine have held up so far...
4. I noted that the brushed motors are behind the time, and again, since they have held up fine, I noted that.

What more do you want, my friend?
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jul 19, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:10 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post

And where in the review did I "blow a brushed motor"?

What more do you want, my friend?

Quote:
the CB180D flies very well with silver-cans.
Everything flies well with Canned motors, but how well do they hold up? Longer than the typical walkera brushed motors? how many flights? Are reviews now days based on a couple of flights or 100 flights? 10? Did I miss reading that also?

Like I said it sounded more like a sales pitch rather than a review.... take from it what you will... or ditch my comments entirely.

And no I didn't (edit: mean to ) single you out specifically, but on RCGroups I do all too often find reviews are more like sales pitches.

What more do I want? Doesn't matter what I want, although I would like to see lots more reviews with a separation between with here are the facts and then after the review here is my opinion.

If you are looking for compliments, It was an awesome sales pitch and I'd hire you in a heart beat if I ever needed someone to write an ad.

As far as the review of 5 out of 5..... it defiantly wouldn't be feasible for walkera to do that, lol

Edit: maybe I should have made a special topic for this, but I read the review I then skimmed the reply post and hit reply. If I have offended you, I apologize.

As far as the review it self, beautifully written, easy to read... I just think it sounds like a sales pitch. And to me personally that sale pitch sound is a turnoff of the item being reviewed. Or maybe it is just me.....

LOL here is a salt shaker, I am blunt, don't take it personally
Last edited by Metieval; Jul 19, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:48 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Another half baked attempt by Walkera that is obviously a LOOSER out of the gate. ANYONE who has owned and are experienced in Walkera...red flags pop up all over the place with this pile. IF you are a beginner and want to move from coaxial....find a decient collective pitch in a 300 size that uses belt drive tail and brushless motor. I think the HoneyBee King v3 would be better suited....and do the research and ask questions before jumping into CP helicopters. Walkera quality has NEVER been there since I owned one 3 years ago, and I'll never take a step backwards. If you decide to buy this thing, the only thing you will encounter is disappointment. I call it like I know/see it.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:52 PM
Joined Jul 2009
4,629 Posts
No, no. No harm done at all. I have thick skin
And I have heard the statement about reviews sounding like a sales pitch. Ive got 55 reviews over at RCU and every once in a while, someone says it sounds like a glorified advertisement. But I do get alot more "I bought this XYZ after reading your review and I love it" which makes me feel really good.

Ive said this before and I'm sure I will say it again many times:
Theres a fine line that you have to walk when writing a review. You say the good and you say the bad, but you don't dwell on the bad. If you did, then companies wouldnt send you their products for review. And if there arent any products coming in...well, then there arent any reviews to read.
And MOST reviews do a good job of saying what faults they experienced during testing.
As far as time spent testing...we all cant play with a plane for 6 months before writing the review. Testing for longevity is a whole other ball game Look at Car and Driver, they put a hundred miles at most on a car and write a 5 page report...thats a blink of an eye in a cars life. Granted they do squeeze in a 50,000 mile report on a chosen vehicle every year or so...

In closing, I'll say that your thoughts on reviews are valid, and are shared by some others as well. But I hope you understand that this is a business of advertising as well as testing for the consumers sake. The goal is to make both parties happy to some extent.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Losi TEN Rally-X in the snow
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:05 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
Now this is very interesting, and it doesn't happen just here, but at flying fields everywhere. I don't know if it is just me or if there are others that feel the same way I do.

Quite a few are rather quick to pooh-pooh and make funny faces (phony perhaps?) when I mention to them I have flown E-Sky and Walkera helis. Matter of fact I still have them and they are kept in fine flying condition because they get flown more often than not.

Granted, one can't compare E-Sky and Walkera to the more expensive fare, but for learning to fly, I'd rather bang around an inexpensive model because I know it will me cost less (and has) to fix it.

What most attracted me to the CB180D, other than its price, was the elegant way used to drive the tail rotor. Unfortunately, it is that feature that others have described as being a problematic one. BTW, as far as reviews go, I take them all with a grain of salt, then make my decision. It was the reviewer's mention of the limited radio range that mostly talked me out of it. With an honest comment like that is hard for me to believe that he is in "Walkera's pocket" so to speak.

EDIT: I will have to seek out the CB100Z mentioned elsewhere in this thread since giving up on Walkera helis has not entered my mind yet.
Last edited by qban_flyer; Jul 19, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Yes I hear you on making both parties happy... hence I suppose message forums and discussion allows for a bit more critic on said Item.

Oh don't even get me started on Car and Driver reviews !!!! something along the lines of well we didn't like xx and then instantly go into a BUT this xx is so awesome. They will do that to the car that ends up on top in their comparisons. You'll see it if you read them backwards. or is that Motor Trend that does that? oops I got started.... ackk

side note.... I didn't think about the fact that newbies plus experienced people all read the same review. So reader opinions, may be slightly skewed

Do let me know if you have a chance to review the HM 200 or UFLY,

this is where I am coming from

Quote:
Actually I have flown my B400 quite a bit. Not harsh 3D but has had its fair share of loops. Biggest issue I have had is keeping the tension right on the tail belt. I did lose a elevator servo once that was about 6' up and looking at the tail in idle up. I saw the top of the blades, and managed to set it down over my right shoulder with one cracked strut I bought an external BEC for it to take some load off the ESC, but haven't put it on. I am flying carbon blades, but yes it is stock. excluding the main blades. Not bad for a used Ebay buy Although I can swear up and down that I am pretty sure it had an experience heli pilot set it up. It is rock solid... unless a tail that likes to drift and kick.. but good enough for what it is I guess. I run max amps 2200Mah batteries bought 3 and 1 is shot, and the other 2 are on their way out, getting soft.. so that is 3 max amp batteries I have wasted on this thing. If that is any clue to how often I have flown it, and yes that is letting the batteries cool down before re charging.

Personal I just own the 43b, but in the same house there is 2 wasted 43G's by the motors, and a 4G6 that can't hold it's tail and has head issues with the flybar rockers. The dampeners is issue on all of them. and everyone of them but the brushless 4G6 has had multiple motor issues.
My 43b went through 4 tail motors before I found one it liked, and even then I had to extend the tail boom. hence it is now a paper weight. I figure maybe 20 ish flight before the tail motor goes, and it isn't worth it to me personally to buy 4 tail motors to get ONE good one.

the guy that owns the other walkeras tried to talk me into a brushless 43b, and I was like hell no. To me it just isn't worth the money/time to buy and fly walkeras... Although I have been looking at the HM 200 and Ufly FP.....
Only because I am tired of waiting on HH to release a brushless gear driven tail. I used to fly the CX2 a lot but it needs motors, and I fly a little to aggressive on the banked corners and I cut blades in the air and that is even with the top ones being extended, lol Fun machine, but holy heck is it heavy!!!!

I want a light weight 12-20" ish FP, that I can fly in a smaller front yard and on a small street, somewhat aggressively, that I can get really crazy with to the point that if I dumped it on grass... oops slap on new blades maybe main shaft etc and then have it flying again before a battery charges with out the hassle of setting up the CP.

Do I trust walkera on the HM 200 or UFLY ? I dunno, but the 3xis thing sorta creates a problem to how hard one can dump it, I would guess.
Forgive me of being overly critical.... maybe it is the frustration of wanting a FP that fits my standards.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:15 PM
Joined Jul 2009
4,629 Posts
Quote:
Yes I hear you on making both parties happy... hence I suppose message forums and discussion allows for a bit more critic on said Item.
You couldn't be more right Having the ability to post your experiences vs the authors experience adds a certain dyamic to the review that a magazine article just can't.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Losi TEN Rally-X in the snow