HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:18 AM
Joined Apr 2010
178 Posts
Discussion
Banana Hobby, to order or not to order?

I was thinking about getting an SR-71 Blackbird from Banana Hobby, the excellent prices make me suspicious, can you give me any personal experience or if you know someone with personal experience to help me out here.
Pilot28 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot28
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot28 View Post
I was thinking about getting an SR-71 Blackbird from Banana Hobby, the excellent prices make me suspicious, can you give me any personal experience or if you know someone with personal experience to help me out here.
Unfortunately, I've read more horror stories relative to dealing with Banana Hobby than I have from satisfied customers.

The general consensus seems to be that they deserve a big thumbs down. Not to say that there are no satisfied customers, mind you; just stating that the repeat customers are far and few between.

Just my observations...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:44 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
Look around the forums and you'll find plenty of information on BH. They have had their share of issues but they do seem to be ironing them out these days. They have their own forum down in the vendors section and their planes are constantly discussed in the EDF Foamys forum.

Consider availing yourself of the search engine that will find just about anything on this site as long as you do your part.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:28 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,078 Posts
I just attended a EDF event and there was one gentlemen with a BH edf jet and he said he had no issues what so ever and that he will order again from them.

Probably in the minority from what I have read here but from what I have seen, it looked amazing, flew even beter and the owner is very pleased with it and BH.

Heres the thread for the event
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169945
and heres a picture of the owner and his jet from BH taken by MAAC photographer (president).MAAC website
http://www.maac.ca/mcgal/main.php?g2_itemId=18537
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:35 AM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
Caveat emptor. BH does have a pretty shaky reputation on this site. I hope they have the wisdom to change that, or they will be out of business soon. You can only skin a cat once, but if you just want some loose fur, you may have a friend for life.
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I like that one...
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:08 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,480 Posts
My experience with them:

Great plane foam wise. Great assembly. All the electronic is very borderline. Basically, if they need 29.9 amps, they will put a 30amp esc in the plane (not a 40). Servos are also borderline but overall, I never really had problem with the electronic.

My biggest pet peeve with them? BUY 3 PLANES right away. One for flying and two for spare parts. Check any of their planes for commonly needed spare parts and you will find out that they NEVER have any spares in stock. I think they put 5 of them on the web site on day one, but never restock! Try to find any landing gears if you like a challenge. If you buy a new release, then it's your only chance to get some spare parts, buy everything they have in stock!

So basically, very good looking plane, very cheap, but don't break anything!

Last thing: Price drop like crazy quite rapidly. The longer you hold, the less you'll pay for the same bird.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 08, 2010, 11:40 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,078 Posts
For over a year nitroplanes did not have anyparts for my EDF jet from art-tech. But I knew this before buying it. I always check part list and stock before buying a rc.

Cant fault BH for stock a plane vendor manufacturer that does not have parts for them yet when they release a new model, can you?

Anyways getting back to the OP and his question to order or not, read up and get all the info you need before making your choice.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 08, 2010, 04:28 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Apr 2009
533 Posts
i ordered from them before i saw no problem
hbsurfer is offline Find More Posts by hbsurfer