HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
 
Thread Tools
Old Jun 15, 2003, 04:00 AM
swede
Guest
n/a Posts
How to: bending music wire

Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd like
some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it into
shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.

Swede

Old Jun 15, 2003, 04:00 AM
David AMA40795 / KC5UH
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

The straight and simple answer is to go purchase a wire bender. Dubro
and K+S make wire benders, as do some other mfgrs. That way, no heat
is required, which reduces the temper of the wire.

David

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:06:01 -0500, swede <poker_run01@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd like
>some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it into
>shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.
>
>Swede
>


Old Jun 15, 2003, 04:00 AM
Paul McIntosh
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

If you use heat you will destroy the temper of the wire and it will not hold
its shape when you land.

Buy a purpose-built wire bender such as DuBro or K&S versions.

--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation
http://fly.mcintoshcentral.com
"swede" <poker_run01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BB1130A9.2E7E0%poker_run01@yahoo.com...
> Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd like
> some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it

into
> shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.
>
> Swede
>



Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:00 AM
The Natural Philosopher
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

swede wrote:

> Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd like
> some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it into
> shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.



Sadly, it bends easy enough already. Leastways the stuff I get nowadays
does :-(

Gone are the days when it would splinter on a sharp bend....


>
> Swede
>
>



Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:00 AM
D
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

Hi Swede -

The wire bending tool is good advice; I made my own quick and dirty tools
by drilling holes a little larger than the wire near the end of a piece of
steel tubing. By clamping the wire in a bench vise between two pieces of
flat steel, then using my bender, I cranked out a very nice set of landing
gear.

Things I leared:

Do NOT use heat! It may change the temper of the wire. If you use steady,
even pressure with a bending tool, you'll get a nice sharp bend without
breaking the wire.

Do NOT use a hammer! It will just break the wire.

Mark the wires identically prior to bending either piece, and/or jig
everything, so you get two identical pieces.


"swede" <poker_run01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BB1130A9.2E7E0%poker_run01@yahoo.com...
> Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd like
> some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it

into
> shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.
>
> Swede
>



Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:00 AM
Jerry L. Gubka
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

If you do wish to use heat, go here and read this:

http://www.sailplanes.com/musicwire.htm

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka

--
------------------------------------------
gray-bearded tramp miner looking for work
(experienced mine planner available)
http:/home.attbi.com/~jlguru/JLGHome00.htm
------------------------------------------



"swede" <poker_run01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BB1130A9.2E7E0%poker_run01@yahoo.com...
> Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd like
> some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it

into
> shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.
>
> Swede
>



Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:00 AM
Mike Norton
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

Sometimes you want two mirror-image pieces. Don't ask how I know.

-- Mike Norton

"D" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:9x_Ga.149$KW2.23299@news.iquest.net...
> Hi Swede -
>
> The wire bending tool is good advice; I made my own quick and dirty tools
> by drilling holes a little larger than the wire near the end of a piece of
> steel tubing. By clamping the wire in a bench vise between two pieces of
> flat steel, then using my bender, I cranked out a very nice set of landing
> gear.
>
> Things I leared:
>
> Do NOT use heat! It may change the temper of the wire. If you use

steady,
> even pressure with a bending tool, you'll get a nice sharp bend without
> breaking the wire.
>
> Do NOT use a hammer! It will just break the wire.
>
> Mark the wires identically prior to bending either piece, and/or jig
> everything, so you get two identical pieces.
>
>
> "swede" <poker_run01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:BB1130A9.2E7E0%poker_run01@yahoo.com...
> > Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd

like
> > some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it

> into
> > shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.
> >
> > Swede
> >

>
>



Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:00 AM
Paul McIntosh
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

While technically correct, that is the HARD way to do it. The K&S benders
will make just about any bend you want without heating and cooling.

--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation
http://fly.mcintoshcentral.com
"Jerry L. Gubka" <jlguru@attbi.com> wrote in message
news:1w%Ga.158803$d51.227301@sccrnsc01...
> If you do wish to use heat, go here and read this:
>
> http://www.sailplanes.com/musicwire.htm
>
> Live long, and prosper
> Jerry L. Gubka
>
> --
> ------------------------------------------
> gray-bearded tramp miner looking for work
> (experienced mine planner available)
> http:/home.attbi.com/~jlguru/JLGHome00.htm
> ------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> "swede" <poker_run01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:BB1130A9.2E7E0%poker_run01@yahoo.com...
> > Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd

like
> > some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it

> into
> > shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.
> >
> > Swede
> >

>
>



Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:00 AM
Bousch
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

Buy a wire bender.


"swede" <poker_run01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BB1130A9.2E7E0%poker_run01@yahoo.com...
> Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd like
> some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it

into
> shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.
>
> Swede
>



Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:00 AM
Ralph Henrichs
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

I've bent 1/4" music wire 90 deg. cold with a vice & hammer, it has held
up a 13 lb. plane for 6 years with many not so good landings.

Paul McIntosh wrote:
> While technically correct, that is the HARD way to do it. The K&S benders
> will make just about any bend you want without heating and cooling.
>
> --
> Paul McIntosh
> Desert Sky Model Aviation
> http://fly.mcintoshcentral.com
> "Jerry L. Gubka" <jlguru@attbi.com> wrote in message
> news:1w%Ga.158803$d51.227301@sccrnsc01...
>
>>If you do wish to use heat, go here and read this:
>>
>>http://www.sailplanes.com/musicwire.htm
>>
>>Live long, and prosper
>>Jerry L. Gubka
>>
>>--
>>------------------------------------------
>>gray-bearded tramp miner looking for work
>>(experienced mine planner available)
>>http:/home.attbi.com/~jlguru/JLGHome00.htm
>>------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>>
>>"swede" <poker_run01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:BB1130A9.2E7E0%poker_run01@yahoo.com...
>>
>>>Before I to start to try to make my own music wire landing gear, I'd

>>

> like
>
>>>some tips and info on techiques on how to properly and easily bend it

>>
>>into
>>
>>>shape. I tempted to heat it to make it bend easier.
>>>
>>>Swede
>>>

>>
>>

>
>


Old Jun 17, 2003, 04:00 AM
Philip McNamara
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: How to: bending music wire

The K&S Mighty Wire Bender is a superior tool, as the previous posts
have indicated;
I've owned one of the K&S units for years,
and have also been pleased with Hobby Lobby's wire bender, which I
bought more recently: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/tools.htm

It's salient feature is a unique locking clamp that holds the work
firmly in place, avoiding slippage as the wire is formed.
Phil

 


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bending Music Wire Tommy D Scale Kit/Scratch Built 6 Oct 14, 2004 10:34 AM
How to solder music wire? SlowRider The Builders Workshop 25 Dec 12, 2003 10:12 AM
How do you bend thick music wire? sizam Parkflyers 6 Nov 27, 2002 08:27 PM
How to straighten out music wire? ferradas Electric Plane Talk 8 Oct 29, 2002 05:30 PM